PDA

View Full Version : Can it be Wednesday already?

Blondie
October 26th, 2011, 06:14 AM
G'Morning Everyone

It WILL be a wonderful day, the air has a chill to it, the breeze is blowing the leaves all helter skelter, and later today I get to be a marvelouly good daughter and call Direct TV for my Mom. She is being screwed out of stations that she is contracted to get. Each time she calls they tell her she is wrong and want her to purchase more stations. I have all the "proof" and can't wait to bee-otch my way up their phone chain. I don't speak southern for nothing, bless your heart. Sometimes all I need is a cause.
Notice I said sometimes. 10298

Haven't had enough coffee yet to say more than that. I have learned that sometimes it is best to be silent and shut up. hehehe

Have a spectacular day my dear ones. Smiles are free.

Divine Daisy
October 26th, 2011, 06:30 AM
go get em Blondie. i hate when people try to take advantage of older people

Bubby
October 26th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Hi Blondie....My but you're up extra early today...getting ready for your battle with DirecTV I see....No doubt you'll win!!!!

Another sleepless night for me with DH snoring like a caged gorilla....WOW! I have to try to stay awake today or else I'll get my days and nights reversed again and be in real trouble. I developed a sleep disorder when my late DH was sick - I had to set my alarm for every hour and fifteen minutes and check him and his oxygen and pain level. After several months of that, I developed a serious sleep disorder which I still battle almost five years later. I've been through sleep clinics, counseling, hypnosis, etc. and I can't seem to overcome it. Lately I get sleep one night out of three.

I need to clean house today and get the laundry under control. Miss Molly is getting a bath first thing this morning - she's starting to smell like a dog. She doesn't see her groomer until next week.

DH just woke up so I'll talk to you later.....Hugs, Barb

rebeccas-sewing
October 26th, 2011, 07:15 AM
With your trouble sleeping can you sleep in another room so you can't hear your husband snore?

quilter.martha
October 26th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Oh Barb, how difficult not being able to sleep must be! I can't even imagine what that must be like. Sleep isn't normally a problem for me, except I sometimes wake up earlier than I'd like.

Go get 'em Blondie! I think I dreamed I was battling someone last night. Maybe it was meant to be for you! Good luck getting it all straightened out. Today it is consumer--beware!! We have to take our affairs into our own hands, 'cause otherwise we get screwed. I'll never forget when my father-in-law passed away. We discovered he had 2 accounts with AOL for internet use! The company knew it and never contacted him about it. It had gone on for a long time.

Yesterday was such a wonderful day! Cynthia is a gem! We had a fanstastic time shopping at her favorite quilt shop (VERY nice shop--could be my favorite, too, if it was closer to me) and each of us left a little bit poorer. Then we had a nice lunch at a local pub. Thank you Cynthia, for such a lovely day!

Today is volunteer day, so I'll catch up with you all later.

meemeecyn
October 26th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Well, isn't it fitting that I follow my Quilting Buddy in writing a post! Couldn't wait to get on today and share what a great day I had with Martha yesterday! The shop has always been my favorite, the lunch always satisfies, but the highlight of the day was meeting Martha. We had such fun talking about our hobbies and life in general. Martha, thank you for making it so special and look forward to doing it again.

Blondie.....you are a hoot! Don't let those people take advantage...isn't it amazing how our claws come out when someone we love (especially when they are vulnerable) is being hurt. You GO GIRL!

Barb...so sorry to hear about your sleep troubles. But, like the Energizer Buddy, you just keep going on. YOu are an amazing woman, my Friend!

I am off in a couple of hours to visit with my Grandgirls. We are going to the apple orchard (probably won't pick....weather isn't right for that!) and then back to their house to make applesauce! They told their Mom they prefer Meemee's sauce to the store kind! Too cute, huh? Just love those girls.......

Have a wonderful Wed. everyone!
Cynthia

Sandy Navas
October 26th, 2011, 09:13 AM
GOOD MORNING, QUILTY FRIENDS!! I wondered what that dust was when I looked to the east this morning - Ah, just Blondie stirring up trouble. You go girl!!!! If you need back ups I'll be there.

I'm sending Barb some sleeping pills or something. Wish I could trade half of whatever causes us to sleep and not sleep - there are days when I could sleep all day long . . . getting better though. Yesterday was a toughy though. I've really changed my diet around and think that helps a LOT!!

Been thinking of Daisy and saying prayer for her and her Mr. Daisy. No one ever said that life would be easy. Sometimes it seems like the good get dumped on way too often.

Okay - what's with this Martha and Cynthia conspiracy - hanging out in pubs and just having a whole lot of fun together. Aren't we all a bit jealous?

I spent yesterday with one of my granddaughters and we finished her Silver Mist fairy costume - I must say it turned out fantastic. That is something I know when my DD comments how great it is. The only one left for attention now is Miss Michelle who needs cheerleader pom-poms and we're going out shopping this afternoon. I'd much rather make them but Mom thinks not . . . what does she know?????

Hoping to finish my 3Dudes blocks for the Christmas swap today. I only need three more. This block is stupendous when done - but I have to say that I, for one, HATE it!!!!!! But it is all because of who I am and how I operate . . .

To those who have yet to check in, know that I have you in my heart and in my prayers. Have a wonderful day and keep smiling. Why did I just think of the old song "Let a smile be your umbrella, on a rainy, rainy day" . . .

stitching woman
October 26th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Good Morning everyone.

Blondie I am glad you are going to be there to help your Mom. Why do people try to take advantage of older folks? Hope your Mom is doing well today.

Barb I have been there with the sleeping thing hope you get some rest as soon as possible.

Martha and Cynthia, I am glad you got to meet and had such great fun. I would love to meet all the loving and supportive people on this forum.

Sandy you are a very good grandma to make all the costumes for the girls and the puppy. Hope you have lots of fun with them. I do not live close to my only grandson and with divorced parents we do not get to see him as much as we would like.

Well I am off to my sewing room to work on a quilt I started a year ago and it has been a pain, but it will not beat me.

Have a good day all and prayers to all who need them.

ginampls
October 26th, 2011, 10:01 AM
yeah, wednesday! i have to work today...which is good i am not really complaining i am just not used to working so much..i work the cutting counter. they have not cross trained me for anything else. we are good here. mom is doing her IV theripy at home and the schedule for the med. is working out just fine.

go get em blondie.. i had direct tv as well. !@#$%^&*()......nowitis good that i am done with them... thenlast week they sent me a come back to us offer...yea.. like right...never again! well must dash off.

cyndiofthevortex
October 26th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Good morning, all

I was thinking when I woke up this morning, "Boy, this has been a tough week!" Can it already be a tough week by Wednesday morning? So I decided today has to be a great day to make up for the toughness of the past few days.

Blondie, I'd hate to be the person answering the phone at the cable company! They won't know what hit them!

Barb, whenever I wake up in the night I'll pray for you to be sleeping! If we all do that maybe you can get more sleep at night. I know it's hard to function w/o sleep and so discouraging to be awake in the night.

Martha and Cynthia, so great you two could get together! It sounds like a great day. I know (and love!) Martha and hope to meet you too, Cynthia.

Sandy, how about a picture of the kids and costumes! I particularly love fairies. They live in my front garden and are the nice kind, not the mischievious kind.

Bernice, good for you! I have "guilt quilts" that haunt me, saying "You'll never finish me...hahahahahahahaha!" But I've been tackling them all year and have emerged victorious over many of them. And they are so pretty when they are done and not taunting me from the cupboard! I wish you success with your quilt and a sense of accomplishment when it't finished. I'm sure it will be beautiful and you'll be happy you got it done.

Except for a short stint volunteering at the library later today, I am setting up my Mega Quilter and I am going to quilt, quilt, quilt. I've been piecing tops while it was being cleaned and now they are all waiting expectantly for some quilting stitches. When the kids or grandkids ask where I am today, the answer will be, "Take a guess! Where else?"

Snow forcasted here for tomorrow. We might get an inch or two. I hope it doesn't take out my cosmos, zinnias and dahlias, which are all still blooming!

Cyndi

Granny Judy
October 26th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Wow, you gals are sure up and at it so darn early. I , too, have sleep problems...get days & nights mixed up. I worked the 3rd shift for so many years, I fall back into that routinue without thought. My parent s lived with me (single mom of 3) so that shift was the best fix for me to work and have time to be with my kiddos. They were supervised by my parents during the night!!

I basically go with the flow.. and do eventually get back on daylight time. But alot of nights I will be sewing, surfing the net, or knitting when I can't fall asleep... or wake up after a couple hours and can't get back to sleep.

I haven't had to fight anyone or anything since they changed the SIGN UP requirements for Medicare last year.. Then everyone was calling and shooting info at me so fast,, I told them all to go ......well you know! I hate those phone calls- they (the callers) make you feel like you are Senile, And NEED them to HELP you make a decision... NO ONE understands MY NO... til I get angry..Irish tempers are hard to control.

I'm getting there with the blocks for the 3 Dudes.. I just find too many other little projects I want to get done for Halloween.. Finally got the 3 pumpkins sewn and gotta get the scarecrow (cloth wall hanger) going...

Yeah, I wanna see pics too of those costumes!! I loved making them for my kiddos, but they outgrew me to fast..
Off to check out the DD... I love them!!

Loonwatcher
October 26th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Hi All,

Blondie, go get 'em. We have DishNetwork and have been fairly happy with them. When calling around I had started with DirectTV but they were so uncooperative that I cancelled the order before they even came to install.

Barb, I too have sleep issues so I feel your pain. And when you don't sleep at night it makes the day difficult. You try to stay up (at least I do) but sometimes I just can't and I've been in bed at 6:30 before. But that's not good because then I'm up at midnight (or before) for the rest of the night. I'll be sending you sleepy vibes tonight!

Martha & Cynthia, so great you could meet and have a great time. Hmmm, NH is right next door to me. Perhaps we should gather up Cyndi and have a 4some gettogether sometime. Where is this fabulous quilt shop you were talking about?

Sandy, I agree with Cyndi. We want pictures of the kids in their costumes. What a great granny you are.

I hesitate to mention the "S" word but we are expecting a bit of snow showers over the next few days.....BLAH!

To everyone....have a great day!

Bubby
October 26th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Martha & Cynthia....I'm so thrilled the two of you met up and spent the afternoon together!!! What could be better than that? I wish you would have taken a picture and posted it here.....Sandy and I will do that when we rendezvous somewhere, some time! Wouldn't it be great if we could all meet for a retreat - maybe near MSQC! Something to be thinking about. Blondie, if you can get to Licking I will drive us up from here...

Thanks for all your well wishes for my sleeping issue. According to the experts it's a type of Post Traumatic Stress. At times I do well, but then it surfaces again and makes life a challenge. Rebecca, I can hear DH snoring from the far end of the house with the doors closed. Even earplugs don't work because this is basically a phychological issue. I'll be fine...just moving a little slower than normal. I'm determined to not let this beat me.

I started a big batch of Chalupa beans this morning so they can simmer all day. If you like Mexican food, you would love this dish. In a large pot put one pound of dried pinto beans in about 6 cups water and add a boneless pork loin roast (3 lbs or so), diced onion, garlic, two small cans of diced green chiles, 1 Tbsp chili powder, 1 Tbsp cumin, a couple cloves minced garlic and salt and pepper. You can add about 1 tsp dried oregano if you like it. Let simmer until the roast falls apart. Remove the roast and shred or chunk it and add back into the beans. Cook until the beans are completely done and the juice is getting thick. Adjust seasonings. Serve this with flour tortillas and your choice of toppings (cheese, salsa, diced onions, tomatoes, whatever) or pour it over corn chips and top with cheese. The leftovers are incredible.

It's beginning to thunder so think I'll get off here and see what kind of mischief I can get into....hugs all around....Barb

Sandy Navas
October 26th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Sandy you are a very good grandma to make all the costumes for the girls and the puppy. Hope you have lots of fun with them. I do not live close to my only grandson and with divorced parents we do not get to see him as much as we would like.

Laughing, Bernice!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Didn't make a costume for the puppy. I made a beagle costume for Rita, who is my 4 YO granddaughter. I need pictures but you all have to wait until Halloween for them. They have a beagle puppy and she wants to go TorT with the puppy and look 'just like her'. BTW the puppy is named Daisy!!

Have to share a funny. Emily is our 'class clown' Emily is seven and is studying the homesteaders and life in the 1800's. One of her exercises is to make butter. So she read about this and sighed. Told Momma - "Well, I guess I will just have to wait until Agnes is eating baby food." I guess she figured she'd have to use Momma's milk for the butter. We're still giggling. How that child's mind does work.!

KiltedQuilter
October 26th, 2011, 02:20 PM
That Wicked witch from Wizard of Oz is creepy, she used to give the heebee geebees as a child...ick! I used to hate the blue monkeys too
I saw Wicked! in London and those monkeys STILL do it to me! :icon_scared:

Today I have been mostly baking bread and making a lentil and bacon and chorizo stew for dinner, and a weeny bit of sewing.
The weather here is rotten. We had a blink of sun and blue sky so I put washing on the line, big mistake....5 minutes later, mad dash to get it all in again!

HandsOffItsMine
October 26th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Morning all...7:30 here but been up since 5. Two cups of Joe and catching up on emails/blogs.

Barb, I feel your pain. Fibro sleep pattern is sleep for 1-1.5 up for 45 to an hour hit repeat. Been that way for the last 12 years. I wonder how good I would look if I had normal nights of sleep. LOL Plus DH snors like crazy too! He falls asleep within two seconds of hitting the pillow, how that is even possible is mind boggling. Been bugging me for 31 years. :D

What fun to meet up with someone from the forum. Glad you guys had fun. We should have a retreat, it would take a while for me to safe up, I better get some more piggy banks going.

Got to go get my meds, hit up KMart & Target, then do some sewing in the afternoon.

Prayers to Mr. Daisy and all who are in need, huggers to all. Have a great day all. Happy sewing.

Ruby

toggpine
October 26th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I had a crappy night too. I know it's bad when I get a call from my father. He NEVER calls. I haven't seen him in three years and I've probably called him twice that. So when he calls and it's about 11PM his time, it's NOT going to be a social call.
Grandma had a stroke. Thankfully it appears to be mild, but it is still a stroke. She is in the hospital while they run several more tests to check for blood clots and have her evaluated by speech, physical, and occupational therapy.
So I am sitting here half way across the country waiting to hear the test results and crying into the sink while I wash dishes. Standing there, I realized I am not ready for her to be gone. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't call her up and hear her "Hi Sugar!" when she realizes who's calling, and then chat for an hour or two about everything and nothing. I know at nearly 90 and 87 my last two grandparents won't be with us for much longer, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.
I need to go get a clean tea towel, as this one is kinda yucky, and finish the dishes.
Thanks for being here to listen. Big hugs to everybody, whether you think you need them or not! Cathy

debinmalaga
October 26th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Aw, Cathy, so sorry to hear about your Grandmother's stroke! I'm also at a distance from all my family, and have had far too many occasions when bad things happened far off, and all I could do was worry and cry. You hang in there.

Sending positive vibes and energy to Mr. Daisy and to all my gal (and guy!) pals here. I so enjoy reading everyone's day and keeping up with y'all. So nice to see new faces come along, especially those who stay and play with us :).

Have a Wonderful Wednesday, all.

Bubby
October 26th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Cathy...So sorry to hear about your Grandma...sending prayers her way. I lost my Granny in 1997 and it felt like my world ended. I still miss her, but I was so tremendously blessed to have her until I was a grandma myself! I have felt like an orphan since the day she died....isn't that crazy...at my age!!!!! There's no other way for me to describe it when you realize you're nobody's little girl anymore. Cathy, I'm crying with you, Hon. Hugs....Barb

alliek
October 26th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Good afternoon all! Well by now I'm sure Blondie has solved the problem with D.T.V! I run interference for my mom also, she is 96 in good health but does not hear well. I too get a little hot under the collar with those who try to "run over" elderly people. I'm trying to finish my granddaughters quilt for her 16th birthday in December and one for my aunt in a nursing home in Troy N.Y. Just love to sit with all the pretty colors and prints and put them together, almost something spiritual in it (except when I have to rip out!!). Have a great week all, Barb I'll be praying for your ability to sleep, and Cyndi Ihope you don't lose your flowers. I love the fall growing season. Here in southern Virginia I finally can get some color on my deck now without the flowers "frying" in the sun.

alliek
October 26th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Big Hug back to you Cathy, with wishes for your Grandma's quick recovery. The wonderful thing is you realize what we mean to each other and appreciate your loved ones, who return the love to you. I'm sure you know how blessed that is. Be at peace.

quilter.martha
October 26th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Cathy, I'll be praying for your grandmother. And you, too. It's so hard to be far away from family when things go wrong. Hang in there, she's in God's hands.

Sandy Navas
October 26th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Sending prayers for Cathy's grandmother. Never, never easy.

I was out this afternoon and when I got back home Al told me one of the women who is doing the training classes for his interpretation certification had a stroke Sunday morning. As we were talking I found out she's only 45 years old. We never know, do we?

mianmom
October 26th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Good evening! What a busy day! Started the morning getting up late which made me late to get to our church's store to helps sort this morning. We did end up getting through quite a bit so that made up for us being late I guess. My daughter goes with me and "helps". Hopefully tomorrow I wont feel so rushed.

Have a good night!

Blondie
October 26th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Good Evening Ladies
Cathy, I am so very sorry to read of your grandmother. It is good to know that we are here for you. This precious group has been so supportive of each one of us, you know that you and yours are in our prayers.
Sandy, you are just the bomb-diggety of Grandmothers. Your girls are so fortunate and quite seriously, never under estimate the great influence you are having on them! I think of both of my granny's each day and they have been gone for many years. Seeds that get sown, get grown as my Daddy would say.

Well, ladies. I spent over 2 hours on the phone with Direct. You would have been proud of me. Yessir, I can be quite a handful even though I no longer have the once a month when I can really be me time. LOL. Now I have super charged flashes of lightning through telephone lines. I am a good name taker, too. After being re routed and disconnected more times than I want to say, I finally got through to the last person. They sent a tech out this afternoon and made my Mom's receiver "right" again. Come next July when her contract is up, she is outta there. I keep telling her not to sign up for stuff unless I look it over first. That is like hitting my head on a wall. But I found the below and thought it was perfect. I printed it out and ran down the hill to give to Mom. Now she can watch her favorite shows again, she is happy. She is also being refunded some $$ pro-rated for the months her service was lacking. Yep, (patting myself on the back), I done good. Daddy would've been proud of his bossy gal.

Have a good evening ladies. I am ready for a wine cooler and soft bed.

janluna
October 26th, 2011, 09:27 PM
You rock Blondie!
Cathy, Prayers for your grandma to do well. The sooner she starts rehab the quicker and the better she will be. Glad they are not wasting time on the referrals for therapy. Her brain will reconnect quicker.
Sandy prayers for the 45 year old too.
As for feeling like an orphan... When my Dad passed I felt alone. Mom and grandparents were already gone and Daddy was the last. I was in my 40's. So no it's not wrong to feel that way at any age. These are the core people who raised you, and gave you direction in your life. They were always there! You have family still, with husband and kids, maybe cousins. Just remember you aren't ever alone. There will be someone there. Besides, you have us too!
So glad Martha and Cynthia had a great time together on their day out.
Gina, love, I know it must be really hard on you with Mom not well and worrying about Abbey's care. Your first pay check should help you feel a little better. I know, a small better but it's something anyway. Prayers going up for Mom. Hope she is doing better. Are your Brothers helping? If not, tell them to shake a stick. I'm still glad you are home. Love and hugs. Jan L.

quiltingtrish
October 26th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Just checking in quick. It's been a long day with a class this evening (for my job). It would have been lots funner if it were a quilt class!
Sorry to hear about your grandma, Cathy.
You go Blondie! And I am so glad you got some of that pro-rating going on. These companies just think they can walk all over these older people. Wrong.
Well, gotta get to bed. It's not getting easier to get out of bed in the morning.

Hugs,