• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kimsophia
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2014

Hootin' the Night Away @,@

Hey Night Owls! How are you doing? I hope you are having a pleasant night/early morning.

Today I was practicing FMQing when I broke a needle. For some reason I unscrewed the foot instead of the needle, and once it was off I thought, "What the heck, let's see how the walking foot stitches". Boy howdy, I could steer that through the machine with one finger. It reassuringly clomp clomped along and made a beautiful even stitch, something I sure wasn't doing with my attempts to FMQ...so I went back to look at the quilt directions and it showed a stitch sort-of in the ditch...it's a decorative thread so seeing it out of the ditch wasn't a problem. I figured if the picture in the book looked like that it was good enough for me so I got started quilting at last! It is so much easier and looks so much better. There is some FMQing in the photo too but it just meanders around the prints mostly. I'll worry about that later.

What's up with you?
  • Bubby
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2011

Re: Hootin' the Night Away @,@

I had a busy day running errands. I picked up the curved log cabin quilt from my LAQer Reggie and it turned out so nice. I can't wait to see it with binding. Now if the binding fairy would just show up and help me out. I also picked up two small Halloween table toppers. One will be part of my DDs birthday gift later this month and the other is for a friend who is moving into a new home soon. The log cabin quilt is a gift for our neighbors who helped us out so much last winter when Jeff was recuperating from his hip surgery.

I bought a new class on Craftsy that covers the basics with some new tips. I hope to have time to watch it tomorrow.

I should head back to bed and try to get some sleep.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• bubba
      Missouri Star
      • Mar 2013

We got back from the lake earlier today. While we were up there, I took Audrey, my little Babylock and other sewing supplies to include a jelly roll, yardage and quilt book and I actually sewed a quilt top!! Now I'll have to quilt it.

We expected to have a ton of ripe tomatoes and plums when we got here, but there were only six or seven tomatoes and it will probably be another week for the plums. I'm surprised the limbs have not broken off.....there is so much fruit on them!! Here is just a small group of them.....I'm sure there are over 300 on the tree!!

plums 2015.jpg

When we got home, MM took a nap before going to work tonight, so we went out and grabbed some Ceviche at a little hole in the wall we go to. Makes for a good summer dinner. If you have never had it, here is a good recipe!! Instead of the fish, I use a pound of the salad shrimp that has already been cooked and then we eat it on flour tortillas.

Ceviche Ole' Recipe by Sunkist
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• redcaboose1717
        Missouri Star
        • Apr 2011

I had a busy day too....running errands, and then I went over to Jo-Ann's to look around, which is where I lost all track of time and my BFF got upset with me because I forgot my cell phone and she couldn't get ahold of me !!! ( Oh Well )
        I just watched last weeks tutorial and I think I am going to purchase a Layer Cake of print and one of solid to do this quilt. I may have to purchase two more layer cakes so that the quilt will end up to be a Queen sized quilt. ( the video says that the quilt size is between a double and a queen ) ....So, if you have any suggestions as to how you increase the sizes for some of the quilt tutorials, I would love to hear about it.....I understand that you could use a bigger border....or increase the amount of quilt blocks to make the quilt bigger...but just wanted to know if any of you do any other "tricks" to enlarge a quilt form a tutorial.

Thanks in advance ,
        Smiles,
        Sugar / Jacqueline

**** NOTE: This block can be done with pinwheels of either direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise) as long as all your pinwheels are made the same way. **...
        Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
        http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• stationarymom
          Missouri Star
          • Jun 2013

Good morning, it was a very hot day here today 90 and humid to hot to get much of anything accomplished.I went to dinner with dh and a family friend tonight,it was $5 burger night at a local restaurant you should have seen all the people that were there and only got burgers.My girlfriend came over tonight to tell me her Mom had been moved back to the hosp, she wasn't able to keep anything down yesterday so she's there for testing.
          :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

• Simply Quilting
            Missouri Star
            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by redcaboose1717 View Post
            I had a busy day too....running errands, and then I went over to Jo-Ann's to look around, which is where I lost all track of time and my BFF got upset with me because I forgot my cell phone and she couldn't get ahold of me !!! ( Oh Well )
            I just watched last weeks tutorial and I think I am going to purchase a Layer Cake of print and one of solid to do this quilt. I may have to purchase two more layer cakes so that the quilt will end up to be a Queen sized quilt. ( the video says that the quilt size is between a double and a queen ) ....So, if you have any suggestions as to how you increase the sizes for some of the quilt tutorials, I would love to hear about it.....I understand that you could use a bigger border....or increase the amount of quilt blocks to make the quilt bigger...but just wanted to know if any of you do any other "tricks" to enlarge a quilt form a tutorial.

Thanks in advance ,
            Smiles,
            Sugar / Jacqueline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=916sKeyxjpo
            You could use sashing between the blocks.

Comment

• toggpine
              Missouri Star
              • Aug 2009

Just checking in before heading off to the nest. This heat has been killin' us. Now I remember why things move slower in the south.

I did get the hooves trimmed on the goat kids in the upper pasture and the bucks today. The kids were not impressed with their new tattoos. I don't think the neighbors were either, the goats were not quiet about their displeasure. I have 5 more to do and one adult ear to touch up as the last digit in her ear is barely visible. I can get away with just fixing the single digit with her.

It's an early morning so I can have chores done before the extra kids show up for the day. Hopefully the heat will be reasonable tomorrow and the children can play outside for a while.

Hugs! Cathy
              Be who you are and say what you feel
              because those who mind don't matter,
              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

• Hulamoon
                Missouri Star
                • Jul 2012

I don't think Iv'e ever been so hot here. A hurricane was coming and got downsized, wish I could do that to my waist so fast. lol. I need to get gas and shop with all the people that think they will never have water or food again. I just need pet food.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Andrea F
                  Missouri Star
                  • Apr 2013

Good morning! We had a very slow day yesterday. Today we're headed to the city, running some errands and stopping at the fabric shop. In the afternoon we'll visit my nephew who has a birthday. He's turning 7. It's supposed to get rainy today, maybe with thunder storms later. The rest of the week is going to be hot again, temps around 40°C (around 100) on Friday.

Pat, those plums look delicious. Are you going to make plum cake? Thomas loves plum cake and when we had the garden plot we had a plum tree, too. I baked tons of cake and deep froze it for him.

Have a wonderful day everbody! See you later.

Comment

• bubba
                    Missouri Star
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Andrea F View Post
                    Pat, those plums look delicious. Are you going to make plum cake? Thomas loves plum cake and when we had the garden plot we had a plum tree, too. I baked tons of cake and deep froze it for him.
                    I've never heard of that!! May have to google to see what it's all about. I've made jam/jelly from it, and we eat them fresh but that is about it. I think I'll be giving a lot of them away this year! My mom used to can them and I loved them as a kid, but MM showed to interest in that when I mentioned it, so I doubt I'll be doing that!
                    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Andrea F
                      Missouri Star
                      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                      I've never heard of that!! May have to google to see what it's all about. I've made jam/jelly from it, and we eat them fresh but that is about it. I think I'll be giving a lot of them away this year! My mom used to can them and I loved them as a kid, but MM showed to interest in that when I mentioned it, so I doubt I'll be doing that!
                      Oh my gosh - you mean, you don't know plum cake??? With whipped cream? I cannot believe it. There are different ways to make the dough that goes under the plums, with yeast or more of a biscuit type. I'll translate my recipe later for you. You really should give it a try.

Pflaumenkuchen.jpg

Edited to add: You can also cut the plums and deep freeze them to make cake later.

Comment

• Hulamoon
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jul 2012

This one is good for plums. I have made it with apples.
                        Plum Cake "Tatin" Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

I was actually looking for one that uses puff pastry, not cake. I need to doze off though.
                        Last edited by Hulamoon; August 4, 2015, 02:18 AM.
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• kimsophia
                          Missouri Star
                          • Oct 2014

I've heard of plum torte, but never had it.
                          Original Plum Torte Recipe - NYT Cooking

Comment

• Andrea F
                            Missouri Star
                            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by kimsophia View Post
                            I've heard of plum torte, but never had it.
                            Original Plum Torte Recipe - NYT Cooking
                            You should really try it, it's yummy!

Lorie, I never made it with puff pastry but you can buy it in every bakery here in the fall.

Comment

• kimsophia
                              Missouri Star
                              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Andrea F View Post
                              You should really try it, it's yummy!

Lorie, I never made it with puff pastry but you can buy it in every bakery here in the fall.
                              I'll make it when I get my shipment of those big plums!

Comment

Working...
                              X