PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh....the fun of it all....

buckeyequilter
August 1st, 2015, 12:51 PM
Eight year old boys can be so much fun. Khloe's brother, Kyle, spent the night with us. I stopped and got pizza for dinner and bought him his own. Took him to play put-put golf last night and he kicked our butts.....he got 3 hole-in-one's. We got home and roasted hot dogs and made s'mores. Then Kyle decided he was going to catch some bats....that's when the hilarity ensued, he's from the city.

This morning he wanted chocolate chip pancakes, I've never made them, but he loved them (so I must have done ok with them). He is finishing up a root beer float, that I made for him, right now. Kyle & I baked some chocolate chip cookies and he's going to take some home to share with everyone.

So by the time he goes home.....he's going to have so much sugar in his system that it may take weeks to work it's way out :icon_heh:

Kgrammiecaz
August 1st, 2015, 12:59 PM
Now that is the way kids should live. Not in front of tv or computer. Enjoying all the other things life has to offer.

Sounds like you both enjoyed the time together.

CarolynK
August 1st, 2015, 01:01 PM
How fun! I would have liked to see the bat catching!

Hulamoon
August 1st, 2015, 01:06 PM
Did he catch one? lol

Cathy F
August 1st, 2015, 01:12 PM
Sounds like a great weekend to me with lots of one on one time!

buckeyequilter
August 1st, 2015, 01:24 PM
Here's Batman.....ummmm, I mean Kyle....(a little downtime for grandma here)...he's playing some kind of game on my daughter's iPod. I'm going to put the SD card back in the camera and turn him loose out in the yard with it.

PS...he didn't catch any bats, Jim gave him a hand held bug zapper thingy. Well a bat swooped down and he threw it at the bat, screamed and ran. I came in the house for a few minutes and then went back out and Kyle & Jim were hunkered down by the lilac bush waiting for bats and the dog was standing guard LOL

K. McEuen
August 1st, 2015, 02:47 PM
Hey! City kids can catch bats too. We did once, when I was about 13. We noticed that they swooped down and got a drink (or maybe a floating bug) out of the pool when we swam at night. Sooooo, we thought it would be smart to catch one. Got a towel (in the water) and waited for the swoop. When it did, we threw the towel over it. We unwrapped the soaking wet towel from around a wet, ticked off bat, and stood there in the pool looking at each other and asking "Now what?" We let it go.

Midge
August 1st, 2015, 03:34 PM
Shirley it sounds like Kyle is having a lot of fun and making some great memories. Wouldn't you love to be able to listen in when he tells his friends about his adventures with you?

Carrie J
August 2nd, 2015, 11:12 AM
What a cute kiddo! And had a great laugh over the escapades of "catching" bats. Don't know who the bigger kid was, Kyle or Jim! You on the other hand I think, had Head Instigator duties-LOL! Especially the chocolate chip pancakes! What great memories and laughter were created here. So nice to read about kids doing stuff like this, and the adults Jumping in with both feet and enjoying with them. Says a lot about great parenting for both Kyle and Khloe! They're lucky kids!

Sonic
August 2nd, 2015, 01:44 PM
Sounds like ya'll are having a blast (bat catching...lol) and he is such a cutie!
Speaking of pancakes, I just finished a huge batch here and kiddo and I are heading into a pancake overload induced coma. Well, ok maybe just I am...but who can resist fresh jonnycakes with homemade jam??

Lori63
August 2nd, 2015, 03:41 PM
Sounds like you all are having fun! When my six year old grandson visits, he wants to play board game after board game. I don't think he gets to play otherwise. Picked up the game Sorry and boy have the rules changed! Only three pieces instead of four and you get to move out of home from any number , not just one or two. It makes the game go much faster but not near as fun.

ravelim
August 6th, 2015, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=buckeyequilter;773867]Here's Batman.....ummmm, I mean Kyle....(a little downtime for grandma here)...he's playing some kind of game on my daughter's iPod. I'm going to put the SD card back in the camera and turn him loose out in the yard with it.

PS...he didn't catch any bats, Jim gave him a hand held bug zapper thingy. Well a bat swooped down and he threw it at the bat, screamed and ran. I came in the house for a few minutes and then went back out and Kyle & Jim were hunkered down by the lilac bush waiting for bats and the dog was standing guard LOL[/QUOTE
Letter tell you. How. Xcity girl is. Stupid

. stupidity.I thought they w baseball bats!!!

redcaboose1717
August 7th, 2015, 02:07 AM
WOW.....What an awesome time Kyle seems to have had. So many people don't do things like that with children any more......kids only want to be in front of the PC or playing their hand held games. I have some cousins whose children never go outside ever.....other than I suppose when the school year is in session. 3 of my 4 cousins have children who are obese, not just fat, but really obese. When my kids were younger, my DH and I actually played outside with them. For the most part, our yard was the favorite of all the neighborhood children when they were small, and even when the kids grew to be teenagers our home was the "hang out place". I remember once when a mom of one of my children's friends called me to ask just what we really did with the kids. She reported to me that her child had a potty mouth etc. When I told her that I was surprised at that, that her son "NEVER" spoke like that in our home.
Each year, our house was the house to go to before AND after all the kids Proms. How that got started was I overheard a couple of one of my DD's friends talk about how expensive going out to dinner was on prom night, so I rented card tables & chairs, table cloths,expensive China, silverware, etc at the local rental supply stores, and then planned a meal for each of the couples, usually steak & chicken, or steak & shrimp etc.(I only charged the kids a minimal amount for the food ) After their dinners, they went to the prom, did their thing and then all the kids ( of course with the parents permission) came to our house to use the hot tub, changed their clothes and just hung out. Most of them spent the night, ...no one got much sleep of course ( not even hubby & I ) The next morning we took the kids to my parents small restaurant that they owned for breakfast and then the kids went home..
Even today, several of my children's friends call me to find out how I am doing etc. I am "Grandma" to a great deal of kids...so much so, one day a cashier at a local store heard a little boy come up to me and say " Hi Grams....how are you ! ? " When I told the cashier I only had 8 grandkids total, she burst out laughing....more or less told me that she knew I had more grands than that. When I quickly told her a little of the story, she grinned and said " Wow ...I thought each of your kids had large families. Now when she waits on my at our local Kroger, she always laughs.....
My parents were the same way, they always had time to spend with children......my parents were the type to take all of their 12 grandkids to Florida to Disney World,Opryland, etc. not once, but several times ! My mom always said the kids were excellent for her and dad. Most of my parents friends were amazed that my folks actually loved having the kids around.

Your comment about having so much sugar.....wow I remember my kids coming home after eating all "Grandma's Goodies " !!! My Mom was also the type of Grandma to buy every single toy for Christmas that always made the loudest noises !!! But hey, my parents were super parents and grandparents and I cherish all the awesome memories my children continue to share about them today ! Sounds like you had an awesome time with Kyle yourself !

Thanks for the trip down "Memory Lane"......you made my day ! :)