PDA

View Full Version : Thursday

Blondie
July 30th, 2015, 07:18 AM

Happy Thursday Folksies

For the most part we here on The Hill have had a mediocre summer as far as rain goes. Whenever we do get it, it comes in buckets and barrels and then moves on to other places in the country like, oh I don't know - where you live! We go through this each summer. Radar will show storms moving across the screen at a great clip. When it is right at the pin dot where we live, I swear to hannah, it forks and goes around us. Makes no sense. Others in the county get great rainfall, their veggies look great, never have to turn on the water to sprinkle or as we say in NC, use a hose pipe.
The last two days we have had a few showers, nothing huge but I did go outside and allow myself to get a good soaking. If it had been thundering, I wouldn't have but a sun shower is always great fun to be a part of. And we have had foggy mornings. Old folks say that to count up foggy mornings in August to see how many snowy days in the winter we will have. I am tempted to mark the calendar since we are so close to August. Maybe these will count as a flurry.

I did get some sewing in yesterday. Plus I did go up and down the stairs on a hunt. Until I am able to really take the time to comb through the stuff down stairs I will have to do this. I cannot for the life of me find the little brush I use to clean out my bobbin area. You know the one that comes with the machine. Where the heckfire shoot could that have gone to? I always kept it in my front drawer. Another thing that has gone missing is my fancy schmancy seam ripper. I have the top cover but not the bottom ripper. That is a mystery because I never lose my best friends! It is a bright pink and hard to miss.

Work some today and then hope to finish quilting on a COC to get it ready for binding. I also have a few of my own projects that will be pulled out of the drawer and pawed over while I get my groove back on.

Have a special day and remember to think of good things that will help you smile.

rebeccas-sewing
July 30th, 2015, 07:36 AM
You might have a chat with Gracie. Maybe she's been playing with some of your essentials.

Nothing new here. It continues to rain in Baarn. It is definitely the most interesting weather I've encountered in all my years on this earth. The sun shines, the clouds move in and down comes the rain. It does this all day long lately. I went from sweltering in Croatia to wearing a turtleneck and sweats here in Baarn. The latter is preferable in my opinion.

Joe's I-Phone was stolen yesterday so he's bummed for being so careless. He's in Spain on the job. I guess he was seated at a table in a public place. He got up and walked away from the table, forgetting the I-Phone, only to return and find it gone.

I'm a happy girl today since Sis has given me good news that she's cancer free after messing about with this tongue issue for thirteen years. Why the heck they didn't get aggressive with it thirteen years ago is anybody's guess. They waited all these years for it to turn cancerous to do something serious to get rid of it. Don't these docs see enough of this type of thing to predict the outcome? Anybody with some input on this? I'd like some explanation. Anyway, for now things are looking good and there's a lot of relief.

I've been doing some cooking and working on a baby quilt for Joe's boss. He and his wife are becoming grandparents for the first time.

KPH
July 30th, 2015, 08:07 AM
It's quiet here this morning. My lazy day, yesterday, turned into a mad dash trying to find Mom pjs that would fit her. When we got her up her pj bottoms slid right down. I grabbed them before they hit the floor and got her into the wheel chair. From the wheel chair to the toilet, I wasn't so lucky. Or maybe I was, one less thing to tug down.

I remember years when she wanted to lose weight so bad, and just couldn't keep it off. To see her now, she's simply skeletal. This is no way to go. The men in our family seem to have found the easy way to leave these earthly bounds. The women, not so much. I hope I was paying good enough attention to their lessons. I surely don't want to have to put my boys through this.

Enough morbidity! Time to make a pot of coffee. CNA, RN and probably social worker will be here today. About a dozen more hexies to add to the rows I'm working on, then the major toddler proofing ensues. The energetic bunch from FL will arrive on the 5th.

Oh BIL went to the ortho. dr. in IN. By not wearing his sling, and raising his arm up and down (showing us how far he could move it before cringing) he's dislocated his shoulder more! Surgery is scheduled for while he's in IN with his Mom. I told DH that he'd made up his mind he wasn't going to go to the dr. here, because there was no way we could take care of him and mom too. That was something that he did right.

songbird857
July 30th, 2015, 08:08 AM
Morning all :)
I drifted off to sleep last night, snuggling under a COC quilt - reminded once again why I love this place. I tend to share very little of the actual details of the day to day here, because I know that others are often dealing with much tougher issues than I am. There's also a fine line between reaching out for advice and gossip so I tread carefully :) I do thank all of you for your prayers - we are hoping to find suitable placement for my FIL soon.
So, today is shaping up to be a nice day (although hot hot hot outside!). My crafty friend is having issues with her sewing machine, so I'm going to pop on over to her house for a bit to see if I can locate the problem. My DD will take care of stuff here again (yep, she's a keeper). I'll get to see what my friend is working on, which will be fun. Then cleaning, and band practice later tonight... busy but good busy :)
I hope everyone has a great day - if you're in the heat zone, be careful...

....ohh Katrina! The visual of your mom in (or not) her PJ's made me chuckle! I'm praying for you as you deal with a tough situation - it is good to find the humor in the little moments!! Hugs to you.

Lori63
July 30th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Good morning all :)

Blondie, we have a thing called the Tonganoxie Split here. We will have big storms coming our way, but when it gets close to this little town call Tonganoxie, it almost always seems to split and the storms miss us. The weathermen say that's just an old wive's tale, but it really seems to happen quite often. We have gotten plenty of rain this year, but not the big storms everyone around us gets.

Rebecca, that's too bad about Joe's iphone. Do you have "find my iphone" or is there a way he can lock it down from a computer? That would have to be hard being in a foreign county and have your phone stolen.

I got quite a bit of sewing done yesterday, till my bobbin ran out. I wound a new one and after that my tension has been off. I didn't have much time to mess with it and probably won't today either, hopefully Friday evening will be free and I can try to fix it then.

I did go to a LQS I had never been to before, wasn't particularly impressed with their fabric selection, but had a nice visit with them about their long arms. They carry Noltings and they may actually be in my price range (with out the computer of course). Anyone have a Nolting? What do you think of it?

Hope everyone has a great day!

Ginny B
July 30th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Good Morning. Here we are at Thursday already. Pretty hot here - possible t-storms too. I never heard that "count the foggy days in August" saying before Blondie. I'll pay attention to that starting next week.

Don't you just hate it when things go missing. I put a lot of miles on just walking around saying "I know I had it last right there!" I actually broke the tip off my favorite seam ripper the other day. I had to order a new one quickly. Not that I don't have others but that was my favorite. I didn't break it ripping --- I was putting a zipper in a pillow cover and was at the point where I needed to slide the zipper tab down to continue sewing and, poof, it broke off. Think I'll use something else the next time I'm putting a zipper in. Like maybe the small needlenose pliers I usually use -- but couldn't find at the time. I'll keep looking.

Well, as you know, dh and I have been watching our little Henry for the last few weekends while step-daughter and hubby were working in and getting ready to move into their new house. They moved in but there was still work being done on their bathroom. So they were at work while the contractor was there --- and then Kathryn realized her laptop, hard drive and engagement ring were gone!
Of course, they know who did it because there were only three people working there. The worst part of it is that her engagement ring had some of the diamonds from her mom's engagement ring. That is upsetting my dh a lot since he gave the ring to his daughters (they are twins) so that they could each have a couple of the small diamonds from it put into their rings. I pray they are able to find it and get it back to her.

Ok, time to get this day moving along. Have a great day everyone.

Bubby
July 30th, 2015, 08:18 AM
Morning,

We mowed (or should I say baled) after dinner last night. It took me 3 hours to cut the front yard and it looks awful with huge clumps everywhere. This morning I feel like I've been riding a mechanical bull.

I got a little sewing done yesterday. We had leftover roast beef for dinner last night, so no real cooking. That was a treat for the cook!

Wishing everyone a blessed day.....

Blondie
July 30th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Good Morning. Here we are at Thursday already. Pretty hot here - possible t-storms too. I never heard that "count the foggy days in August" saying before Blondie. I'll pay attention to that starting next week.

Don't you just hate it when things go missing. I put a lot of miles on just walking around saying "I know I had it last right there!" I actually broke the tip off my favorite seam ripper the other day. I had to order a new one quickly. Not that I don't have others but that was my favorite. I didn't break it ripping --- I was putting a zipper in a pillow cover and was at the point where I needed to slide the zipper tab down to continue sewing and, poof, it broke off. Think I'll use something else the next time I'm putting a zipper in. Like maybe the small needlenose pliers I usually use -- but couldn't find at the time. I'll keep looking.

Well, as you know, dh and I have been watching our little Henry for the last few weekends while step-daughter and hubby were working in and getting ready to move into their new house. They moved in but there was still work being done on their bathroom. So they were at work while the contractor was there --- and then Kathryn realized her laptop, hard drive and engagement ring were gone!
Of course, they know who did it because there were only three people working there. The worst part of it is that her engagement ring had some of the diamonds from her mom's engagement ring. That is upsetting my dh a lot since he gave the ring to his daughters (they are twins) so that they could each have a couple of the small diamonds from it put into their rings. I pray they are able to find it and get it back to her.

I hate to read this! How crummy can people get. Hope they are able to retrieve it all. And if the contractor was referred to them, I would sure be reporting and advertising this. creeps.

songbird857
July 30th, 2015, 08:57 AM

Oh Ginny - that is awful! I hope the items (especially the ring) are recovered...

Grandma Nan
July 30th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Good morning. Just passing through quickly today. I have company coming for the weekend and I am on my way to the grocery store. Have a good one folks and be careful out there.

Carrie J
July 30th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Morning Blondie and All! :D

Weather forecast here, hot, continued hot til October! So says our Hippy Dippy Weatherman! LOL! Up early just because my eyelids decided it was to be! Coffee in hand, and the day off to a good start. Hope all lost/misplaced items are found (I usually find what I'm looking for in my own hand.........true, not kidding, LOL), all broken items replaced quickly and any project you undertake not visited by Murphy. Happy Day to all! :D

SewnByBee
July 30th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Mornin peoples, Hope you all have a grate day.

JCY
July 30th, 2015, 10:29 AM
I love the pic of those 2 cats. It reminds me a bit of some of the rabbits I've watched in the yard when they are duking it out. Sometimes they leap up in the air. It's funny to watch.

So sorry to learn of the missing lap top, special ring, phone, etc.

I'm planning to go to the county fair this a.m. & observe judging of the quilts. One of my friends is the supervisor of this event. I called ahead to make sure the judging is open to the public. It is.

No sewing done yest. I spent 4.5 hrs. weeding one of my flower beds. It was a bit cooler yest. a.m., although the temp. hit 93 in the p.m. I used an old umbrella propped against the fence so I could work in the shade. Now if all the rest of the flower beds looked as good as this one! Slowly I'm working my way through the beds.

Happy Thursday to everyone.

Angelia
July 30th, 2015, 11:43 AM
If you find the place where missing things go, could you keep an eye out for a herd of zebras, please? I was planning to use them the other day, but they seem to be gone! How does a yard of zebras disappear?

Great day to all. :)

quiltingtrish
July 30th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Haven't seen any zebras here. :)
If people would just leave other peoples stuff alone, this world would be such a better place. That simple rule - if it isn't yours, don't touch it. Sorry to hear about the items being stolen. I hope all your items are returned and the people who did it gets community service. Maybe if more people that commit these type of crimes were given a job to clean up a town here and there, they just might think twice someday.
Not too much happening here. Ripped out the FMQ I did yesterday on mom's cousins quilt - had to switch machines and now this one doesn't want to cooperate. Maybe I just need to give it the 'talking to'. Sometimes that does the trick.
The rain came and went and I hope it comes back. They say we don't need it but it is helping the gardens. Hopefully it won't be as humid tomorrow. We've had a few days of this humidity that takes your breath away.
I'll check in later. Keep smiling and quilting!