PDA

View Full Version : I'm planning a family reunion! Oy!

BobW
July 30th, 2015, 12:18 AM
For the past couple of years I have been working on genealogy. I located a cousin that I had no idea I had. She lives in Pennsylvania. I also found out she has a brother who lives in Texas. They have neither one been back to our hometown of Fulton, MO since our great-grandmother passed away in 1956.

I have just found out the cousin from Pennsylvania is going to come to this area to meet relatives and see the "Home Place" and the cemetery where a good part of our family is buried. I have communicated with her brother in Texas several times. I sent him a note and asked if there was any way he could visit at the same time. He responded back he would.

So now I'm rounding up relatives for a family reunion. They will be here about a week and a half after the Fall Forum Retreat. This will be the first reunion for the family (except funerals) since my grandparents golden wedding anniversary in June, 1969.

So far two out of three cousins from Ft. Smith, AR are coming. One of the cousins has retired and moving back to Missouri from Arvada Colorado next month and says they will be here. So I think we will have a good turn out.

Now I'm looking for a place in Fulton to have a dinner catered, since I'm not up to cooking for a bunch of people and don't have the space here anyway. The only cousins left in Fulton are close to 90 so it wouldn't work for them to host at their home.

jjkaiser
July 30th, 2015, 12:28 AM
Wow Bob that is so exciting! Our fam has never had one but have heard stories from others and they can be a blast. You have the right idea on the catering thing and otherwise just try to keep it simple. Some people even have reunion tshirts made, what about that? Is your town known for anything you could incorporate into a theme? I'm from Milwaukee, and beer and bacon (home of Patrick Cudahy a local bacon) are popular party themes here. I am sure other forum members will have lots of suggestions. Try not to stress out too much!! Good luck.

dwil23
July 30th, 2015, 12:36 AM
Depending on how many are coming and would be staying at a hotel, you may be able to get a meeting room there for not much (or even no cost if there are enough "sleeping rooms" booked). I would check out that option first. If that doesn't work, I am sure there would be a Church or Union Hall, American Legion, etc that would rent their space.

Good Luck - I am sure it will be a wonderful experience!

Angelia
July 30th, 2015, 12:57 AM
Would Westminster or William Woods have facilities to rent?

mommamarsh
July 30th, 2015, 01:24 AM
We would potluck on Saturday afternoon/evening and ate at a small local cafe on Sunday noon.Family came from Kankakee,Il,Memphis Tn., and points in between to Metropolis Il.

stationarymom
July 30th, 2015, 01:40 AM
Good Luck Bob it sounds like it should be fun.Make sure to take pics of everyone.I was also going to suggest a church hall they usually have kitchen facilities.

Vonnie
July 30th, 2015, 09:51 AM
You could also make potholders/mugrugs with the Missouri Star block for gifts. They would be tiny quilts that you could make several of over a weekend. Or applique the M* block on t-shirts!

Have fun with your reunion. I went to one several years ago and met relatives that I never knew about.

Grandma G
July 30th, 2015, 10:07 AM
I know it sounds like a lot of work but it is going to be so much fun! Genealogy is my second love. I haven't been as diligent in my research, though, since I discovered my first love - quilting!! I think I would have a hand held tape recorder ready for when people start sharing information. I have done that because there is no way I can remember everything. And be sure to take lots of photos. You will be so glad later that you did. And yes, like Joan suggested, a church hall sounds like a great idea. Good luck and let us know how everything goes!

sewluvit
July 30th, 2015, 10:38 AM
That's exciting Bob to get your family together and meet cousins you didn't know! I love genealogy too and have enjoyed researching my family. Like you Gerri I have neglected it somewhat now that I am into quilting.