PDA

View Full Version : Today's chuckle

Sharyn J
July 29th, 2015, 04:13 PM
I know that many cashiers are taught certain questions to ask the customer at the register, such as "did you find everything you need?"; "sorry for the wait", etc.

If I'm the only person in line, I wasn't waiting. If I didn't find everything, I would find someone to help BEFORE I got to the register. Ok, that's just a few. Today, I just could not help myself. Usually, only my family and close friends are the recipient of my sarcasim, but my lips couldn't remain sealed.

I was at the hardware store: 2 boxes of canning lids, a large box of garbage bags, a new mop head, a Grandma hammer and 2 bottles of gourmet soda. He asked, "Would you like a bag?"

I replied, "No, I think I'll just stack everything on the top of my head and see if I can precariously balance it on the way to the car."

Panda
July 29th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Sharyn, that was a really dumb question for him to have asked. I would have loved to see his reaction to your remarks. I can never think that fast to make a remark like yours. I wish I could. I usually think of good remarks hours later.

Kathy

Sharyn J
July 29th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Yes, Kathy, his reaction was priceless!

Iris Girl
July 29th, 2015, 04:44 PM
That was a dumb question to ask. I only ask if my customers want a bag if it a bulky item or everything fits nice in the basket, bowl,tin they are also buying. Some like a bag no matter what even its a small item like 1 embroidery floss. some bring their own bags some never want bags.

K. McEuen
July 29th, 2015, 04:45 PM
With so many people carrying reusable shopping bags with them anymore, more and more places ask that question.

Ahamblin
July 29th, 2015, 04:57 PM
My immediate response would be "Here's your sign".

When we walk into a store and an employee asks "What can I help you with?" my husband usually says "Well the car needs to be washed". He is a smart a** but it does usually get a smile.

BethB
July 29th, 2015, 05:25 PM
I love it when you swipe your credit card to make a purchase and the machine read, "is $---- ok?" Well, no, I would prefer it was free but that isn't possible!!

Deegles
July 29th, 2015, 06:48 PM
HEHEHEHE :lol:You know we get really upset by the "trained" cashiers. First of all they ask you "How are you today?" You can throw them off their game by telling them your hemroids are flaring up again. This works for cocky car salemen too! We all know they could care less how I am today, but they are trained. If you go to the burger joint and order a hamburger, they will always ask "Do you want cheese on that?"...if I wanted a cheeseburger I would not have ordered a hamburger. Sometimes at restaurants, the waitress will ask, would you like more to drink? This is just lazy, she should automatically fill it. But the idea of potentially not having to fill it is less work for them.

irishrn
July 29th, 2015, 07:07 PM
I'm just laughing and laughing!!!
Apparently I am way too polite because I answer "yes, please" every time I'm asked that question, even if it is completely obvious that I need a bag!
But I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when you answered him Sharyn. The expression must have been priceless!!!

mischiefkat
July 29th, 2015, 07:55 PM
No bag needed you're going to juggle them.

CraftHer
July 29th, 2015, 08:16 PM
With you list of items (garbage bags, mop head, hammer) you could have said "I'd be all set if you had a freezer big enough for a dead body" Perhaps I watch too much CSI :)

Hulamoon
July 29th, 2015, 08:28 PM
That was a funny come back. I would of never thought to say that! lol

Our island banned plastic bags about five years ago. If you go to our Walmart if you don't have a bag you just put it back in your cart. It's confusing for the tourists and I'm sure the cashiers are tired of explaining it. They have bags for $1. I just use the cart most times there. My Ace hardware is the same. They ask if you want a bag and it will be paper.

shirleyknot
July 29th, 2015, 08:33 PM
HEHEHEHE :lol:You know we get really upset by the "trained" cashiers. First of all they ask you "How are you today?" You can throw them off their game by telling them your hemroids are flaring up again. This works for cocky car salemen too! We all know they could care less how I am today, but they are trained. If you go to the burger joint and order a hamburger, they will always ask "Do you want cheese on that?"...if I wanted a cheeseburger I would not have ordered a hamburger. Sometimes at restaurants, the waitress will ask, would you like more to drink? This is just lazy, she should automatically fill it. But the idea of potentially not having to fill it is less work for them.

Actually.....they ask so it isn't wasted if you didn't want it. I appreciate anything that cuts back on waste.

Sharyn J
July 29th, 2015, 10:00 PM
With you list of items (garbage bags, mop head, hammer) you could have said "I'd be all set if you had a freezer big enough for a dead body" Perhaps I watch too much CSI :)

Oh, that's too funny. Must put this one in my reportoire!

MBCA
July 29th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Good comeback!

Sharyn J
July 29th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Actually.....they ask so it isn't wasted if you didn't want it. I appreciate anything that cuts back on waste.

Me too Shirley, but usually I place a tote on the register or let the cashier know that I've brought a bag. If I don't have a bag, what the heck to I do with all the stuff? I remember my Mom teaching my sister and I proper posture. She had us balancing that darn book on our heads to walk around! I told her she was nuts, and to this very day, (bless her soul) I still think she was nuts! What nut walks around balancing a book on their head? Oh, wait, that would be ME, balancing a hammer, mop, etc., on my head.

Ok gals, i'm going off to test those skills right now. Maybe a spirit will get in my way..............if you know what I mean!

Juliet Taylor
July 30th, 2015, 05:44 AM
With so many people carrying reusable shopping bags with them anymore, more and more places ask that question.

That's what I thought!

Sorry but if you answered in such a way where I work Sharyn J I would be a little puzzled and also a little offended, because here in Italy plastic bags are banned so shops are forced to buy either paper bags or recycled thin thin thin bags that are not the strongest to carry heavy weights. For this reason 9 people out of 10 carry reusable strong grocery bags you can buy at the supermarket for a couple of dollars (or euros) or buy sturdy cotton bags so the problem is solved. (that's why most of the times people do not want a bag from the shop).

I guess over there is different?

Plus, I don't know if this ever happens in your shops but usually most of the times when I ask if they want a plastic bag people doesn't want it. And since they're so thin and as soon as you touch them they seem "used" I prefer avoid taking one out if there's no need.

Iris Girl
July 30th, 2015, 06:49 AM
It is common curtesy to ask if you want a bag, Many people carry their own or put stuff in their oversized purse. If you have many items a bag automatically unless they hand me their own bag no need to ask. As far as snappy comebacks being a cashier is not always the easiest job. We have to eat a lot of crap from smart a$$ people thinking they are cute. I am sure in whatever job you do you have protocol that must be adhered to. Asking if we can help you, how your doing and have a nice is ours. Sometimes its simple pleasantries that can get a smile from someone having a bad day. Not sure why some people have to always have an obnoxious come back instead of yes, no or thank you. Guess I am old school.
Alkso I maintain EVERYONE should do a mandatory 2 years in retail and cashiering so they know what its like on that side of the counter. So many rude and obnoxious people today. Never had this issue 10 or 20 years ago...must be the cell phones..don't even get me going on the rudeness of stepping up to the cashier to be rung out and having a convo on your cell...or not knowing how to work your own phone to get coupons and turn up the brightness...does can you make it brighter so I can scan it sound like make it bigger?...
Sorry I'll hop off the soapbox now. Just think everyone should think about the cashiers side...everyone does not do a high powered office job..and if we did who would be your cashier? Thanks

Carrie J
July 30th, 2015, 09:15 AM
LOL, in reading the comments I always love my DH's return on "Hello, and how many are in your party?" Reply, "Well for starters just us two, the other twenty will be in shortly." The freeze moment and OH CRAP TWENTY?!?! is priceless! You HAVE to make your own fun!

Sharyn J
July 30th, 2015, 06:18 PM
I think some of you misunderstood my humor. I worked in retail for many years and managed over 23 depts. I am well aware of the abuse that cashiers are subjected to every day. I have also shopped at the same hardware store for over 40 years. They know me, and I know all of them!

My comment was meant "in jest." The cashier was taken by surprise but he also laughed, knowing full well that I was just kidding.

Lighten up folks!

Musical_Starling
July 30th, 2015, 06:36 PM
I think some of you misunderstood my humor. I worked in retail for many years and managed over 23 depts. I am well aware of the abuse that cashiers are subjected to every day. I have also shopped at the same hardware store for over 40 years. They know me, and I know all of them!

My comment was meant "in jest." The cashier was taken by surprise but he also laughed, knowing full well that I was just kidding.

Lighten up folks!

I worked retail for a few years, and sometimes you need that customer to come through and crack a little joke at you to keep you from losing your mind. If it's said in jest and you can clearly tell it's a joke, then you may be putting a smile on the face of a cashier/retail worker who just got yelled at five minutes before because someone found an item without a price tag and tried to argue that since there's no price tag, they deserve to receive that item for free. Sometimes cashiers get people making jokes that you just have to grin and bear it because the jokes are just completely groan-worthy, but it's all still better than getting yelled at for a store policy that you had no hand in writing, or having someone rant at you because you just happened to be there with an open ear. I usually make it a habit to be very friendly and maybe crack a joke or two with my cashiers, because I know it's a very thankless job and they could use a chuckle sometimes. I've been asked if I wanted a bag to put an 18L water bottle in, and usually I just look to the cart, look back at them and then they realize that they've been working too hard because they're working on auto-pilot and not even realizing what they're saying anymore lol But if I'm shopping and have only bought one or two items that I can easily carry out and am asked if I want a bag, my response usually varies from "Nah, save a plastic tree." or "Not unless that big security guard down there plans on jumping me on the way out without one"

Hulamoon
July 30th, 2015, 06:49 PM
I was a cashier for a few years in my teens at a craft store...Moskatels if you remember it. Our registers were the type that you had to push the the button down 100 times for craft/ wedding stuff. I learned a lot of patience working there. But the customers had more patience too than now.

shirleyknot
July 30th, 2015, 07:16 PM
Me too Shirley, but usually I place a tote on the register or let the cashier know that I've brought a bag. If I don't have a bag, what the heck to I do with all the stuff? I remember my Mom teaching my sister and I proper posture. She had us balancing that darn book on our heads to walk around! I told her she was nuts, and to this very day, (bless her soul) I still think she was nuts! What nut walks around balancing a book on their head? Oh, wait, that would be ME, balancing a hammer, mop, etc., on my head.

Ok gals, i'm going off to test those skills right now. Maybe a spirit will get in my way..............if you know what I mean!

I was actually referring to the waitstaff asking before pouring another drink. Why waste it if it isn't wanted? Less waste = slightly lower prices.

redcaboose1717
July 30th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Way before the Big Box Stores had canvas shopping bags, I took a paper bag, and used it as a pattern to make my own bags. Then a few relatives & friends sked about the bags etc.
Nowadays, if I only have one or two items and don't take one of the canvas totes I made, I will just tell the clerk, "Don't bag it...." It saves the store the bag, and it saves me from getting rid of the plastic bags later on.

Here on the forum, someone showed a set of bags that you could open up to put right in your cart.....( they are for sale in some stores ) so, I saved this idea, and when I finish my Christmas gifts, I plan on making one of these bags. I think I am going to use small PVC pipe, not sure thought to hold the "bags" in the cart.

I worked as a cashier for spending money while going to college, and it's amazing how people act in stores......especially some 40 yrs later. I realize people are busier than ever, but there's such a difference the way people ( both the cashier(s) and the customer(s) ) act today. Of course we are tired, have too much on our plates etc. Yesterday, I was waited on by a very rude clerk. Of course being a clerk myself ( yrs ago ) I just took it in stride, and didn't say anything ....simply because you just don't know what's going on in the person's life.
Then too, as someone else mentioned when being an employee of a store, we are "taught" to ask the customer certain things, even if some of the questions are strange, some stores insist you ask certain questions. I know my DH John hated it when to major stores would ask you for your phone number and your email address.....ooohhh....that was a sore spot with him. John would often tell the cashier he didn't have a phone or the internet...which of course took more time, and I am sure the customers behind him weren't thrilled with his response.
Of course, if more people would leave their "problems" ( both cashier & customer ) in their automobiles prior to entering the store, I think we all would have a more pleasant experience. ( just kidding here ! ) When my children were young and I would take them into the store I would always let them take their little change purses with them when we shopped. Not always were they allowed to "shop" as well.....they knew that, but would wait patiently for permission. Sometimes when I was in a hurry and the kids were with me I would let them take turns getting a treat for everyone to share. We did this with a lot of things ...you know, who got to sit in the front seat, who got to "pay" the bill ( that was only if I had 10 items or less and it wasn't when the stores were packed with people who had just got out of work).....letting them "pay" taught them how to count change etc.

I have learned some things reading all of your comments......such as Hulamoon ( Lorie ) comment about not having "plastic bags "....hmmmm I didn't know that.

Smiles,

shirleyknot
July 30th, 2015, 07:39 PM
My horse feed has been coming in heavy woven plastic bags. I have made several really sturdy totes out of them. Several of my friends do too, and one even makes them to sell at flea markets. It's fun to have the horse pics on the sides.

Hulamoon
July 30th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Jacquline They just passed it on Oahu too. I think calif is next. I agree pepople need to be more calm. There are certain times of the year here where tourists shop in a frenzy,like taking a vacation on Thanksgiving. Relax already.

Shirley I have seen those from dog bags. Pretty fun.

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=dog%20food%20bags

shirleyknot
July 30th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Yes, just like that! They hold up really well too. I've been using the same 3 for 2 years. You can get quite a lot in what used to be a 50# bag.

Angelia
July 30th, 2015, 11:10 PM
What a good idea (the bags made from animal feed bags)! Not sure about pet food ones, though--does the smell go away? Livestock grains or oats wouldn't be bad--I love the smell of sweet grain for calves--but fishy smelling cat food? :)

Simply Quilting
July 31st, 2015, 01:01 AM
That's what I thought!

Sorry but if you answered in such a way where I work Sharyn J I would be a little puzzled and also a little offended, because here in Italy plastic bags are banned so shops are forced to buy either paper bags or recycled thin thin thin bags that are not the strongest to carry heavy weights. For this reason 9 people out of 10 carry reusable strong grocery bags you can buy at the supermarket for a couple of dollars (or euros) or buy sturdy cotton bags so the problem is solved. (that's why most of the times people do not want a bag from the shop).

I guess over there is different?

Plus, I don't know if this ever happens in your shops but usually most of the times when I ask if they want a plastic bag people doesn't want it. And since they're so thin and as soon as you touch them they seem "used" I prefer avoid taking one out if there's no need.

In the USA, we are getting where the plastic bags are really thin from some stores. Then it becomes either wrap the items with two or three bags or forget the bag altogether or do some unique carrying methods. It is not bad not to have bags for some items but when it is raining, the bags come in handy.

After we brought items home in a bag, I use to use them for little trashcan liners, wrap messy or wet items in for transporting, some icky items would get put in there before going into the trash can. Now because they are so thin, many times after just carrying the stuff from the store to the car to the house has already worn holes in the bag.

Juliet Taylor
July 31st, 2015, 10:26 AM
In the USA, we are getting where the plastic bags are really thin from some stores. Then it becomes either wrap the items with two or three bags or forget the bag altogether or do some unique carrying methods. It is not bad not to have bags for some items but when it is raining, the bags come in handy.

After we brought items home in a bag, I use to use them for little trashcan liners, wrap messy or wet items in for transporting, some icky items would get put in there before going into the trash can. Now because they are so thin, many times after just carrying the stuff from the store to the car to the house has already worn holes in the bag.

Exactly what happens here! That's why supermarkets sell cotton bags, paper bags, recycled bag and thin ecological bags so everyone can choose to use whatever they prefer to carry their stuff depending on the weight (at least it should be like this!).

Where I work it's slightly different because usually we work more with small paper bags because we sell small stuff but when there is something big and heavy we have recycled plastic bags just for that

:)

CarolynK
August 1st, 2015, 01:05 PM
I pretty much laughed all the way through this thread. Way to go Sharyn!

Altairss
August 3rd, 2015, 12:32 AM
I both laughed and groaned. I cashiered for over 15 years and you hear it all and then some. And you see some mighty strange things. I once worked at a store the Required as in you would get written up if you did not say all 7 things they wanted you to say to each customer. Easy if they had a lot of items but stupid if they only had one! So I am very laid back with what they say as I can always tell what they are told they have to say silly or not its the job. But I can't stand lazy and poor customer service or lack of any interaction. Its more common then not for them to not even say Hi anymore and say nothing to you till they tell you the total. Those I pull on my smarty pants for. Oh I am having a great day thank you so much for asking instead of just staring at me.

Iris Girl
August 3rd, 2015, 05:53 AM
Some of the comments here infuriate me to know end. Had a whole big speel for this, but decided its not worth it. People who poke fun, mock and ridicule the cashiers are just showing their true selves. These are the people who become breakroom topics in how not to act. 'nuff said can we drop the thread about this now? Its annoying to those of us who do our jobs well.

So happy we have an ignore button here. It works wonderful!