PDA

View Full Version : Never take your health for granted

Bratbear
July 28th, 2015, 01:03 PM
I am not posting this for sympathy, empathy or a poor baby. Just wanted to say "Never think it won't happen to me".
Sunday afternoon I was working on my row by rows when I suddenly had two sharp pains on the outside of my right ear. You know, that sharp pain that comes out of no where. Didn't think anything of it. Now I am munching on some chips and my chewing isn't right, I can't make a fish face no feeling on my left side of my mouth. When I drink it runs downs my face. Monday morning, I get up and nothing is better, I am now dealing with my eyes crossing and burning. No other pain associated while all this is going on. So off to the emergency room we go.
Triage nurse says "I don't think you are having a stroke, I think you have Bells Palsy" Ok what in the world is that?
ER Dr diagnosed it the same, was given steroids and a anti viral medication for 5 days. However, I have know idea when my face will if ever return to normal. I thank God it wasn't anymore serious than it is.
So please, don't take your health for grant it, because it may just jump up and kick you in the bottom when you least expect it.
Keep sewing, and stay calm. Love all my forum friends.

Grandma G
July 28th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Sorry to hear that. Sounded like a stroke when you first described it. I had Bells Palsy when I was in my late twenties. I still have no idea what caused it but eventually all symptoms disappeared. Don't remember how long it took... that was a long time ago. Hope you recover quickly and you are right. We each know what is normal for our own bodies and when something doesn't seem right, it probably isn't. Always, always, better safe than sorry.

alliek
July 28th, 2015, 01:46 PM
I too had Bells Palsy when I was in my twenties, After interviewing me the doc thought I may have injured the nerve in my face by leaning my head against a window on the subway and having a draft concentrated on my right side. I had a long ride from lower Manhattan to the North Bronx NYC every day back and forth. Do you have a fan on you, or is the AC concentrated on that side where you sit? Just a thought, I remember being in pain but not what I was treated with. I hope you will recover soon and yes we must never take good health for granted. It is a blessing every day we can function normally and help others. God Bless.

Lori63
July 28th, 2015, 02:02 PM
I've known several people who have had Bells Palsy. The good news is it always seems to go away. I'm sure it's difficult dealing with it. I'm glad you aren't in pain though. Good luck, hope it gets better soon.

irishrn
July 28th, 2015, 02:51 PM
So sorry to hear this for you. These type of neuritis attacks usually respond to the steroids and time. So be good to yourself and don't try to force facial expressions that may continue to irritate the nerve. Give it time and all should be well.
Hugs to you!!

Bubby
July 28th, 2015, 03:02 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of this. My Mom had a severe case of BP but she ultimately got so much better. I pray for the same thing for you (((HUGS)))....Barb

Granny Fran
July 28th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Bell's Palsy can be disconcerting, but is usually self correcting. Nancy Zieman of Nancy's Notions had it when she was a child and it wasn't treated, but look at the amazing career she has!!

Will keep you in my thoughts. DH and I had a terrible year in 2007 with health issues and treasure the good health we now have. Sometimes its like getting a wake up call to appreciate all we have.

redcaboose1717
July 28th, 2015, 03:34 PM
I have had Bell's Palsy.....There's some exercises ( Facial ) that I found on YouTube.com from a chiropractic Dr.......I used the exercises, and completely cured myself within 2-3 wks.......IF you would like more info just PM.....I did NOT take the medication that was prescribed to me for this.
I have had no relapses nothing.......I was really shocked that it went away sooooo quickly....These are a few exercises you do whenever you think about it ( I did it several times a day etc....)

Kgrammiecaz
July 28th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Ugh, hope you are better quickly. And you are so very right. Things can seem perfect one day, the next your being told you will be sick for weeks, etc. We need to first take care of ourselves, then we can take care of the rest.

So, take good care of you - get better soon. Keep us posted, and if you need anything, you know where to ask.

klgls
July 28th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Oh Teri - I hope this clears up for you quickly. So glad it was not a stroke!! Take care!!!

kensington
July 28th, 2015, 04:42 PM
I had it some 22 years ago, and I have residual affects to this day. A percentage of people do. Some people experience 100% recovery... and some, like me, have tale tail signs.

Perfectly healthy people have it. It's a condition of the 7th cranial nerve that wraps around to the face. I still have some tingling, a bit of pain and my mouth droops a bit on the left. It's most noticeable in pictures. I hate them. Ugh... crooked smile.

wlrquilts
July 28th, 2015, 04:52 PM
I hope you have a quick recovery and feel better soon. You are correct you should never take your health for granted, I know how fast it can change.

SuzyQue
July 28th, 2015, 04:56 PM
So sorry to hear about this, but so happy that it was not more severe. Take care of you and I will pray for a complete recovery for you.

Altairss
July 28th, 2015, 05:03 PM
My Mom had it twice each time pretty severe. Both times with Meds and time it self corrected but it was really stressful for her. Hope yours goes away quickly for you!

sewbizzy
July 28th, 2015, 05:11 PM
sending prayers your way

auntiemern
July 28th, 2015, 05:40 PM
So sorry Terry. FL and BIL both had it,and recovered without issue. I totally agree with not taking our health fort granted. I am very in tune with my body, and am very aware when something's off. I have numerous health issues, but when something isn't right I know it. I don't go running to the doc all the time, so when I do, you can bet it is for something serious. Hang in there, and follow docs orders.

SewnByBee
July 28th, 2015, 06:03 PM
Take care and I hope you get better very soon. You'll bein my prayers, God Bless you........Bee

easyquilts
July 28th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Teri... I'm so dory.... I hope all symptoms will go away soon.... The stories the others have told about their own experienced is very encouraging.,,.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 28th, 2015, 06:48 PM
So sorry to hear this and hope you get better soon!

Deegles
July 28th, 2015, 07:36 PM
I am not posting this for sympathy, empathy or a poor baby. Just wanted to say "Never think it won't happen to me".
Sunday afternoon I was working on my row by rows when I suddenly had two sharp pains on the outside of my right ear. You know, that sharp pain that comes out of no where. Didn't think anything of it. Now I am munching on some chips and my chewing isn't right, I can't make a fish face no feeling on my left side of my mouth. When I drink it runs downs my face. Monday morning, I get up and nothing is better, I am now dealing with my eyes crossing and burning. No other pain associated while all this is going on. So off to the emergency room we go.
Triage nurse says "I don't think you are having a stroke, I think you have Bells Palsy" Ok what in the world is that?
ER Dr diagnosed it the same, was given steroids and a anti viral medication for 5 days. However, I have know idea when my face will if ever return to normal. I thank God it wasn't anymore serious than it is.
So please, don't take your health for grant it, because it may just jump up and kick you in the bottom when you least expect it.
Keep sewing, and stay calm. Love all my forum friends.

So many people at my work have this phenomenon. For some, as it is treated early, it goes away. I know of three people. One ladies went away, one ladies gave her a crooked smile, and one guys left arm has little muscle tone and strength. I wonder what causes this. I am glad you felt it, so you listened to your body, and thank you for communicating to the forum because it is becoming a common occurrence.

Grandma Nan
July 28th, 2015, 09:54 PM
I am so glad that you paid attention to your symptoms Teri and went to the hospital. Its really scary when things like this happen. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take care and follow your doctors advice.

bec
July 28th, 2015, 10:01 PM
My daughter had it when she was around 5 or 6 years old. I took her to the doctor and he gave her medicine. She was fine in a few days. Hope you recover quickly.

JCY
July 28th, 2015, 10:04 PM
A friend of mine who is pregnant with twins developed Bell's Palsy. Apparently it's not that uncommon to occur during pregnancy. She is a massage therapist & in the health profession, so knew what it was. She was told it was temporary & would go away. I hope that's true for you. Get better soon.

Ginny B
July 28th, 2015, 10:06 PM
So sorry to hear this. My sister had Bells Palsy and she recovered completely.

MBCA
July 28th, 2015, 11:32 PM
Teri, what a frightening thing to go through, I would have thought stroke and freaked out. From others experience it sounds as though you just need some time, unfortunately, it takes something like this for us to slow down and smell the roses. Take care, prayers for a speedy recovery.

stationarymom
July 29th, 2015, 02:29 AM
I hope you feel better soon.I am also glad that this is not a stroke like I thought you were describing when I started reading.Take care.

bubba
July 29th, 2015, 03:17 AM
I know several who have had that. For some, it cleared up fast. For two, it was less than a year, but several months. One was my brother in law, while he was in his late 30's and he had to wear an eye patch because his eye would not close all the way. You would never know now that anything was ever wrong.

rebeccas-sewing
July 29th, 2015, 04:08 AM
What a scare! I hope you'll recover quickly. I'm so glad it wasn't a stroke. I understand that if a person is experiencing stroke symptoms getting to medical treatment quickly can sometimes reverse a stroke. If anyone experiences similar symptoms, don't wait. Get to the emergency room as quickly as possible.

Mom23
July 29th, 2015, 09:01 AM
Glad you made it to the doctor before it got any worse. Will pray for a very quick recovery.

SallyO'Sews
July 29th, 2015, 01:02 PM
Okay, since you said you don't want me to, I won't pity you. But I am praying for a speedy recovery! Kudos and quilty hugs to you for your upbeat and cheerful outlook!