PDA

View Full Version : need suggestions for short driver solutions...

songbird857
July 24th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Ok, so 20yoDD is learning to drive. She is 5 feet tall and can't see parking space dividers, has to pull out too far to see at intersections, etc. I've been looking up cushions/wedges to help with this. I'm also thinking I could just buy some dense foam and make a fancy cover for it. If anyone has bought or made one, I'd love to hear thoughts on good ones to purchase, or what I need to know if I make it!! Also, does anyone know if a driver can take their road test with it? I'll give my RMV a call tomorrow... thanks guys :)

irishrn
July 24th, 2015, 08:14 PM
My daughter is 4'11" . We made the decision to look for a car she could see in. We got her a Toyota Corolla. She now drives a highlander. ( she's almost 40 and not any taller!! LOL!!)
She has the seat control in the up position which is like using a cushion. ( raises her butt) but she doesn't use a cushion.
And she does just fine.
Hope this helps!!

stationarymom
July 25th, 2015, 02:44 AM
My daughter is 4'9" and she can see fine because ,we had to buy a car that was best suited to her.My daughter also drives a toyota corolla before that she drove a small kia.

Hulamoon
July 25th, 2015, 02:55 AM
I have the same problem. My mom was 4'11 and I'm 5'2''. I have alway's had small cars because of it.

Amazon.com - Large Medium-FIRM Wellness Seat Cushion (Size: 17" x 13" x 3". Color: Black) - Chair Pads (http://www.amazon.com/Large-Medium-FIRM-Wellness-Seat-Cushion/dp/B008GPR888/ref=pd_sim_263_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0TQ47ZZF7NGDFV1Y2815)

Has good reviews.

Andrea F
July 25th, 2015, 05:23 AM
Sorry, I won't be any help for this problem. They do sell cushions here that are shaped like triangle when you look from the side. The back is higher than the front of the cushion so it raises the butt but not the legs.

Sonic
July 25th, 2015, 09:19 AM
I'm 5'1" and how well I can see is very dependent on the car, SUV, or truck.
Believe it or not I can see (and also prefer) a truck or SUV partly because the position of the seat (orientation within the cab of the vehicle) starts off more upright.
I don't sit on anything, but I do have a wedge pillow behind my back that I got in the car section of wally world. Over time she will probably find the curves in a vehicle seat to be in the wrong places since they are made for average height people.

klgls
July 25th, 2015, 09:38 AM
I can attest to finding a car that is a difficult fit. I'm only 4'11" (if I stand really tall). :icon_rolleyes: I found that having seat controls that allow to raise the back of the seat and tilt down in the front really helps. I found that Mazdas really fit the best. Currently I'm driving a Mazda CX7. Fords are an awful fit - as well as most vans. I don't use any extra cushions - my natural one is large enough.

songbird857
July 25th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Thank you for all the feedback! My daughter does have a Toyota Corolla - I'm going to check wally world for a cushion. We're also going to take her out in the land rover, which has the seat tilt feature, to see if that helps her any :)