PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl Actually Sews?!?

kimsophia
July 22nd, 2015, 02:07 AM
Hey there fellow hooters! How's it going? I drank enough coffee and the a/c was cool enough that I actually got back to sewing last night and finished matching that 3 yard long seam... :P Whew! I'm glad that's over! The two widths of this backing fabric still are not wide enough but I will tack on some extra fabrics to make it reach. I am cutting this backing extra large as I had the unhappy experience in my first big quilt of the backing shrinking so much with the heavy quilting I did that it shrank too small at opposite corners, so I had to hand sew wedge shaped pieces in those gaps. Back t hen I did not follow those instructions that say to add extra inches to the backing, but this time I sure will. I'm not planning on quilting it so closely, when I did wavy lines about half an inch apart. This time I am going to try Loopy Clams, but not free hand. I'm going to make a template and draw that on with my Frixion pens.

So, time to go downstairs and iron those pieces I'll be pinning onto the sides. Hope everyone is having a good evening/morning...how are things with you? @,@ Hoot hoot!

CraftyJnet
July 22nd, 2015, 02:47 AM
I just finished adding Velcro to a pair of my dh's bike shorts. Trying to decide on my next project. Everyone's asleep - all four dogs and my dh are on the bed and my mils dog is next to the bed. I don't think there is room for me to go to sleep.��

Lightwriter
July 22nd, 2015, 02:52 AM
Whew, hot, hot, and hotter. Humid too. We need a break in this heat wave.

Actually got upstairs to sewing aerie yesterday. Can't do much after noon up there, just gets too hot...that little AC not up to the job. Got some tumblers cut for what will hopefully be a quick baby quilt.

Need to finish up several UFO's, but I keep getting distracted by the lure of a new project. It's like eating potato chips...just can't resist opening that new bag. I know part of it is I like piecing much more than actual quilting...I am intimidated by FMQ and don't have the confidence to get the job done. I know I am being silly. I need to bite the bullet and get these tops finished.

Or maybe it's so hot my brain is boiling...

stationarymom
July 22nd, 2015, 02:52 AM
Good evening,glad to hear that your ac is working right and that you were able to get some sewing done.I didn't get any done,because I went to see my friends mother tonight.My friends mom was moved from the hosp back to rehab,they couldn't do anything for her but give antibiotics.My friends mom has started speaking french off and on and has regressed some mentally.I didn't get much done today just too hot,it's supposed to be hot but drier tomorrow.(I hope).I hope everyone is having a good night in their trees tonight.

Hulamoon
July 22nd, 2015, 03:01 AM
No sewing, it's freaking hot here! I put a couch on Craigslist and got three calls. One from another island. lol I sort of jumped the gun and didn't vacume all the cat hair or measure it. :icon_doh: I promised a girl a call back tommorow for the measurment. I'm giving it for free, so I hope it goes this week. It's taking up my whole deck! End of small rant. lol

sewlucky
July 22nd, 2015, 03:11 AM
This night owl did NOT sew today, lol. Tomorrow...I know, I said that yesterday, and the day before, and the day before...

We've had some rain again, but not until later in the evening so its all good.

Andrea F
July 22nd, 2015, 04:25 AM
Good morning! Hope you are all asleep by now. I have to get ready for work after another cup of coffee. I haven't sewed in a week besides finishing the last few blocks for a lattice christmas quilt that should've been on our couch last christmas. Hopefully I will get it done this year. The only problem is that I've some NCWs to make and just bought another bag pattern and have a few other bags to make too. Maybe I really have to start selling my bags, I'm running out of storage space ;)

Yesterday a friend wrote me an email, suggesting me for a job she'd have done herself if she had more time. It's a writing job and since it's also my field of research, I think I'm gonna do it. I really don't need more work right now but the contact could be well worth the additional stress.

Only 8 more weeks until beach vacation...

kimsophia
July 22nd, 2015, 05:41 AM
Whew! Think I need to call it quits on the quilt for tonight. I sorta got the top squared up (which is not easy because it's not that well sewn to be flat--these were my first diagonal seams). I did get one extra strip sewn onto the backing side, but I didn't get that seam ironed yet. I did iron the worst wrinkles out of my batting. I'm not sure that I can really get this thing very squared up, but that's not really a big deal to me, how it hangs on the bed down the sides...it the top is flat on the top of the bed, that would be cool. I still love these fabrics, which is nice. I tend to start hating the sight of long, tiring projects. I don't see how you can want to do many quilts...it's just too dang much work for me! :P lol

But I do feel pretty good about it, all in all. I want to get it sandwiched and sewn together ASAP as I'm ready to leave piecing behind. :)