PDA

View Full Version : But wait - there's more!

SallyO'Sews
July 22nd, 2015, 12:07 AM
So, I told you about my birthday last week... Here's (as Paul Harvey would have said) the rest of the story:

DIL and I hit up 5 fabric stores in 28 hours (HobbyLobby, JoAnn, and 3 LQS); bought that fmq foot, AND the pattern for the NCW!! :icon_woohoo: We also found some fabric that has screen prints of the covers of Nancy Drew books; bought that for DGD # 1 and taught her how to use my machine to make a pillow (will post a pic in Show & Tell).

Sunday, we went to hear DS#3 preach at a church in Hartford. Only DH and I went to hear Joshua; the rest went to our regular service. After the service, DH & I went out to lunch, and then to the grocery store to pick up stuff for supper (everyone was going to rendezvous at our house since DS #1 & family were going to leave Monday a.m.). As we were loading the car, Josh called; DH needed to get over to the church to meet with one of the members who is fixing a door there. So off we went.

Hmm.... lots of cars in the parking lot. Got inside, and there were about 75 people there for a surprise party! I kept trying to go into the sanctuary, where I could see tables & chairs set up, and where it is air-conditioned, but they wouldn't let me go in there for about 10 minutes... When we were told to take our seats, DS #1 pulled me aside & said he needed me for a second. Takes me to the office where DIL hands me a beautiful bouquet and places a tiara & veil on my head. I turned around to see our co-pastor standing at the pulpit, my husband in a dinner jacket and bow tie, and our sons and daughters lined up on either side. Matt walked me down the aisle to my sweetie and we renewed our wedding vows!

36 years ago, I got engaged, but never had an engagement ring. Unbeknownst to me, DH and DD #10 had gone shopping a week earlier for this:

It was, all in all, a great weekend. I must confess that I've been pretty distracted this week at work - I keep staring at my left hand! :D

tamsterg7
July 22nd, 2015, 12:20 AM
How special! You have a wonderful family that sure knows how to show their love, and that gorgeous ring was worth waiting for!

Simply Quilting
July 22nd, 2015, 12:29 AM
What an awesome surprise. Congratulations on the ring and years of marriage. May you have many more sweet years together.

bubba
July 22nd, 2015, 12:41 AM
Very nice! What a great surprise!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 22nd, 2015, 12:44 AM
How very sweet and special this is! Congratulations and Happy birthday!

pcbatiks
July 22nd, 2015, 12:52 AM
What a great weekend and a special surprise! It sounds like you had a wonderful time.

jjkaiser
July 22nd, 2015, 01:50 AM
Wow that ring is sure a sparkler and your family sure knows how to plan a secret party! You will never top this birthday and you will re-live it in your head forever. Congratulations that's a wonderful story.

jjkaiser
July 22nd, 2015, 01:52 AM
Wait did you say DD#10? How many kids do you have??!!!!!

Quiltfreestyle
July 22nd, 2015, 02:01 AM
Congratulations on your birthday & your anniversary. Your family sound like a great bunch... :)

stationarymom
July 22nd, 2015, 03:02 AM
Awww sounds like you have a real keeper there,Your ring is beautiful.you are surely blessed with a great husband and kids.Congratulations.

oldsewer
July 22nd, 2015, 03:18 AM
Way cool! Beautiful ring and beautiful memories both.

mommamarsh
July 22nd, 2015, 03:20 AM
How wonderful !!!

Andrea F
July 22nd, 2015, 04:39 AM
Oh my gosh, that's so sweet! What a wonderful surprise!

Kgrammiecaz
July 22nd, 2015, 04:49 AM
Distracted, I would not be able to work at all after all that. You have an amazing family. Such a great surprise and the ring is gorgeous.

Iris Girl
July 22nd, 2015, 05:19 AM
What a special surprise! Awesome!

Blondie
July 22nd, 2015, 07:48 AM
This sounds as if it was THE BEST DAY EVER.
Your lovely hands compliment the lovely ring. Congrats.

Bubby
July 22nd, 2015, 07:55 AM
What an awesome birthday! I love it that your family showered you with their love and attention and what can I say about your gorgeous engagement ring....beautiful!

Lori63
July 22nd, 2015, 08:04 AM
I teared up reading your post. What a wonderful person you must be to have your hubby and family do this for you. Congrats!

Vonnie
July 22nd, 2015, 08:14 AM
Wow! The ring is gorgeous but your family is priceless!

Sonic
July 22nd, 2015, 08:42 AM
Awww, that's so sweet! It sounds like a truly wonderful time surrounded by people who love you very much!
Congrats on renewing your vows too.

songbird857
July 22nd, 2015, 08:50 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaagggghhhhh!!! The romance made me smile and laugh and just get all happy inside (I had to be quiet, as it's not quite 8 am ...)
What a blessing!

irishrn
July 22nd, 2015, 08:52 AM
Congratulations to you and kudos to your family for such a special surprise!!

Snickeldorfer
July 22nd, 2015, 09:05 AM
love a happy story
happy tears

Ginny B
July 22nd, 2015, 09:24 AM
Oh my gosh. What an awesome surprise! Brought tears to my eyes. And what a beautiful ring. Thanks for sharing your special day.

Amy R
July 22nd, 2015, 09:36 AM
Oh what a blessed event! Congratulations on your renewal and your new ring! It's so pretty!!!

bhaggerty
July 22nd, 2015, 09:47 AM
Congratulations and Happy birthday & Happy Anniversary! What an awesome day and fabulous family for pulling off such a wonderful surprise!!!!

Carrie J
July 22nd, 2015, 09:55 AM
Congratulations...................Happy Birthday AND Happy Anniversary! It was a beautiful surprise from a very loving Husband and family! WOW! :D

SallyO'Sews
July 22nd, 2015, 10:41 AM
Wait did you say DD#10? How many kids do you have??!!!!!

I have ten children, ranging in age from 18 to 35, six sons and four daughters. Five daughters-in-love, and one son-in-love. Also 9 grandchildren (so far). I told DH that it was worth having that tenth child, since she helped her daddy pick out the ring! :D

GrammaBabs
July 22nd, 2015, 10:44 AM
Thank you so much for sharing this story!
What a wonderful family.. and renewing the vows is something i'd like to do as well,,,,,
We are coming up on our 50th... :)
This story tells me that you and DH's are very special people and deserve everything good that life has to offer... Hugs, and congrats. B

quiltingtrish
July 22nd, 2015, 12:21 PM
What an awesome surprise!! Happy Birthday!

Midge
July 22nd, 2015, 12:48 PM
Now that's what I call a birthday celebration! How sweet and loving! Happy birthday, diamond girl.

GuitarGramma
July 22nd, 2015, 01:03 PM
What an incredible special way to spend your birthday. God has truly blessed you.