PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl is Cookin'

kimsophia
July 18th, 2015, 02:58 AM
I currently am cooking the other half of an 8 pound pork loin that I am slow cooking in a barbecue sauce mix. My crock pot isn't big enough for 8 pounds! I also made some ginger cookies that are an Ina Garten recipe that got 4 1/2 stars online. It has 1 1/4th cups chopped crystallized ginger in it, plus a teaspoon of ground cloves (I'm not crazy about cloves so I cut it down from 1 1/2 teaspoons). Well, I can't eat them without setting my mouth on fire. They taste like black pepper and cloves to me...my tongue was burning so bad and two glasses of milk didn't get rid of the burn...I was sooooo disappointed. I later read the actual reviews and they left out the candied ginger entirely or cut it and the clove measurements way back.

HOOOOOO's awake? How are ya'?

bubba
July 18th, 2015, 03:13 AM
I'm here!!! Sweating to death. I think from whatever is going on in my tummy.....

I was sitting here watching TV earlier and Yoda was on the other end of the couch when he started growling, I thought at the TV. I tried to get him to calm down, because it was so unlike him. He kept at it over several minutes, so I thought maybe if I let him outside he might calm down. Well, he was not growling at the TV!!! There was a cat on our back deck and I thought Yoda was going to kill it! I've never seen him like that! The cat howled and took a flying leap over the railing.....did I mention it's about a 15' drop to the lawn? I could not find it, so I think it got away. Who knows if it got hurt....MM said it was probably fine.

Had a Belgian waffle for dinner tonight that MM made me....even that set my stomach to turning. I'm so over this....make it stop!

Lightwriter
July 18th, 2015, 03:27 AM
Just woke up after a bit of sleep. Another busy day without sewing. Reorganized the sewing aerie before I went to bed in order to create a home for Ella B. I swear I feel like I spend more time reorganizing up there than I do sewing,

I have hope next week will not be as busy. It has rained so much grass mowing is in the forecast for the second time this week. The corn is ready to freeze and another round of berry picking today. I decorated for a church supper yesterday (I tend to be the one who ends up doing this) with a beach theme, supper is tonight.

Crystallized ginger is great for seasickness, but it is hot as the devil. We took some on a cruise we did a couple of years back. Don't think I would want it in a cookie. I sometimes keep it around for spells of nausea, but a little goes a long way.

Pat, that buggie seems like it doesn't want to budge. May be time for a doctor. May your Saturday be a lot calmer!

Hoo- de hoot all!

Hulamoon
July 18th, 2015, 03:30 AM
Kim we get a lot of asian foods here and I bought a package of ginger candies. Talk abot hot! I put some in a cup of green tea and it was really good.

Pat, sweating here too. It's been close to 90 this past week. With the humidity it's been down right miserable. I hope you feel better soon.

bubba
July 18th, 2015, 04:04 AM
When my daughter had it, it lasted four days. Tomorrow I think will be my third. I went a lot longer today between feeling icky times, so hopefully I am on the downhill slide.

Laying around all day has let me get caught up on my Castle recordings again. Just watched the last of season 4 and now the first of season 5 is on. The last of season 4 was the one when the finally 'got together'.

I have two patterns to test for designers and need to get busy on that. I'm anxious to see how they turn out.

toggpine
July 18th, 2015, 04:28 AM
Kim, I think I posted Grandma Elanore's gingersnap recipe in the recipe section a few years back. They aren't that spicy! Depending on how long you bake them they are either soft, or crispy. If you can't find it, let me know an I'll re-post them.

Somehow I should have gotten more done today. I don't know where my time actually got off to. Well, I kind of do. I hadn't planned on making the run into the feed mill. That was supposed to have been part of yesterday's travels, but we didn't get out of the house early enough to miss the traffic and we were late to Em's appointment as it was. I also had to scrub out all of the grain bins and set them out in the sun to dry before I left. We had an infestation of feed mites. They are tiny tiny things that eat the grain dust, but shouldn't be fed to the animals. They smell a lot like lemon Pledge when they are crushed. The heat and humidity are excellent conditions for them to reproduce.

I did not get the house vacuumed, but I did get an hour's nap after unloading the 480# of feed.

The kittens met the cat. It didn't go especially well, but no blood was shed. That's a bonus. They have already attempted to kill a bird and succeeded with a shrew. Not bad for just a few days on the job and not even three months old!

A few more degrees and I'll be able to turn off the milk and get some shut eye!
Have a good one! Hugs, C

sewlucky
July 18th, 2015, 04:31 AM
No sewing for me again. Just reading! Hubby started his holidays at 4:30 this afternoon. He heads out for a few days with his siblings on Tuesday, he figures it will be drama lol. We leave next Saturday. I've been staying up late reading and sleeping late, getting my days and nights jumbled. Oh well. Better try to sleep now as I think my friend is coming by for coffee early...well at 9am, but these days that's early! Lol

Terri

kimsophia
July 18th, 2015, 04:57 AM
<<Had a Belgian waffle for dinner tonight that MM made me....even that set my stomach to turning. I'm so over this....make it stop!>>

When our a/c was broken and we stayed at a Hampton Inn, there was a make your own Belgian waffle station so I made one...very bad idea! I'd already eaten their eggs, sausage and pancakes and that was just too much for this old lady's guts... :(

Andrea F
July 18th, 2015, 06:17 AM
Good morning ladies! I've been night owling here all by myself until 3 am and got up late today. I'll have some cleaning to do today and a bit of cake baking. Tonight we'll go out for dinner with friends and tomorrow is hubby's birthday and he deserves a cake. It's not going to be a buttercream cake (our favourite birthday cake) because of the heat. I think there will be creamcheese, whipped cream and strawberries involved. The strawberry field is only a few hundred meters away and you don't have to pick them yourself if you don't want to. You could though, and when the kids were little we did it each year and made lots of strawberry jam.

I didn't sew anything yesterday. I had to take a nap or two and still had not so much energy to do anything else than watching Supernatural. Gosh, there is a lot of blood and other ugly stuff involved. (Translate to: I mostly listen to it and do something else simultaneously because I can't sleep or would be having nightmares if I really watched all of it.)

I don't care for ginger so much although it's supposed to be really healthy, right? Cutting it up into thin slices and pouring water over it to make a tea should be very healthy and prevent from getting a cold or something. At least, that's what I was told. Hubby likes ginger candy. And he doesn't mind eating hot so much. I only put a piece of ginger in green smoothies or when cooking rice.

Pat, I hope your stomach calms down and you feel better in the morning!
Have a wonderful Saturday you all!

Bubby
July 18th, 2015, 08:19 AM
I think that 1/4 cup of the ginger would even have been a lot....but 1 1/4 cups! I'm sure your mouth is burning.

Bubby
July 18th, 2015, 08:20 AM
Feel better soon, Pat. Hopefully the worst is behind you by now (no pun intended).