PDA

View Full Version : Health concerns

Leah53
July 16th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Let's hope my bad streak has exhausted itself, I am scheduled for an endoscopy August 7th, it was supposed to be a combined endoscopy and colonoscopy but apparently they couldn't find a camera with a long enough selfie stick even though they told me, that because of my health, they couldn't do both at the same time.

On top of all of this, I am suffering from severe dry mouth, have thrush because of antibiotics and have the smell of burnt toast in my nose, all of this has been going on for about a month. Some say that the burnt toast smell could be a stroke in the works but after a month I think if I was having a stroke I would have had it by now. I took a full round of anti fungal for my thrush, didn't work, I have a Dr. appt this afternoon so I'll see what he says about it. I now have to take diflucan any time I take an antibiotic because of yeast infections, this just started last fall, I would have thought the diflucan would have halted the thrush but it didn't, good news is, I didn't get a yeast infection.

If any of you have an suggestions or thoughts on these issues make them known because it's driving me nuts.

SallyO'Sews
July 16th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Sorry, dear, no ideas, but plenty of prayers and quilty hugs! {{{LEAH}}}

Blondie
July 16th, 2015, 01:50 PM
I hate to read this! I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Has anyone ever recommended pro biotics and yogurt to help with the anti fungal issue? Many doctors believe our general health starts and ends in the gut. I have read over the years that anytime one takes anti-b's for any time, yeast is created that can cause a lot of issues that can stymie us. My own Mom has seen the benefits of my Sis and I keeping her on pro biotics and yogurt after being on so many needed meds for several years. Most of her dr's kind of poo poo us, but, her oncologist and one of her surgeons sing the praises of the above. I suppose it is one of personal choice and decisions.
I don't have links but perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable about these things can address them.
No way can I say that this is what you need for sure, just throwing it out there since I am not a professional of any sort.
Good luck

Leah53
July 16th, 2015, 01:55 PM
I take pro biotics and eat yogart on a semi regular basis. I've also tried Gaviscon and Previcid, that's what the Gastroenterologist prescribed my brother but this is a new Gastroenterologist for me and I haven't seen him yet, just the PA, but I will be asking about it, I'll know more after the endoscopy.

Kgrammiecaz
July 16th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Ditto on the pro-biotics and/or yogurt. Sending prayers for an easy solution from the doctor.

Claire Hallman
July 16th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Don't use real silver silverware to eat with. This is what a friend was told when her baby had thrush.
Might not make any difference or might be an old wive's tale. It wouldn't hurt.

quiltingtrish
July 16th, 2015, 06:21 PM
I wish I had advice for you Leah, but I don't so I'll just put you in my prayers. I'm sorry you are going through all this.

Leah53
July 16th, 2015, 06:38 PM
Just came from the Dr. and Zaxby's, asked for a chicken sandwich that wasn't spicy, guess what I got.

He gave me another prescription for the Nystatin swish and swallow, doubled the dose this time. Told me to take vitamins and I will after they stretch my esophagus in the endoscopy, the ones I normally take are too difficult to swallow even if I cut them.

K. McEuen
July 16th, 2015, 07:30 PM
My daughter doesn't like to or can't swallow big pills. She got One a Day gummy vitamins and takes those.

I have to say, I giggled about not eating off of real silver silverware. My thought was "Does anyone even have real silver silverware anymore?"

sewbizzy
July 16th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Sending prayers for your problem to be solved and fast healing....hang in there and get better soon!

JCY
July 16th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Sometimes pills are easier to swallow if taken with a spoonful of applesauce or pudding. If worse come to worse, most pills can be crushed & taken with sauce or pudding. Won't be tasty, but at least you'll get them down. That won't work for any med. that is time-released. Hope the stretching of the esophagus helps. Probiotics definitely help keep the gut healthy. When DH had to be on Augmentin for 5 wks. for pneumonia, he took a probiotic the whole time. Feel better soon.

Mom23
July 16th, 2015, 10:02 PM
I have no advice for you Leah but I will certainly pray for quick healing for you.

Carrie J
July 16th, 2015, 10:14 PM
Definitely probiotics and yogurt, prayers for speedy recovery! :D

Leah53
July 17th, 2015, 02:44 PM
My daughter doesn't like to or can't swallow big pills. She got One a Day gummy vitamins and takes those.

I have to say, I giggled about not eating off of real silver silverware. My thought was "Does anyone even have real silver silverware anymore?"

I thought the same thing, "real silverware", what's that? lol

Mike suggested last night I take the gummi vitamins, I like gummies so might try them. I used to be able to swallow horse pills with no problem but apparently my esophagus has narrowed so they're going to stretch it, there's also several food items I can't swallow.

jjkaiser
July 17th, 2015, 03:20 PM
"Does anyone even have real silver silverware anymore?" Yes and I use it for every meal. And only cloth napkins also. Why save the good stuff for company only.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 17th, 2015, 03:37 PM
"Does anyone even have real silver silverware anymore?" Yes and I use it for every meal. And only cloth napkins also. Why save the good stuff for company only.
I have cloth napkins -- mostly made by yours truly -- but my only possibility of ever owning much real silver is to inherit some from my mother-in-law, who does have some and uses it every day. Silver is crazy expensive these days, even for people who are relatively comfortable. I have a few serving pieces and a few teaspoons, all gifts from MIL's collection, but I couldn't actually set the table for even a simple dinner.

Back on topic -- hope you feel better soon!

Edited to add -- a single place setting these days costs somewhere around 800 to 1000 dollars.

SuzyQue
July 17th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Prayers for healing and I agree with the yogurt statements. I hope you feel better soon!

I should use my silver daily, but as it can't be put in a dishwasher, I save it for those special family dinners that I also break out the china. I should treat myself better as does make you feel special, but .......................I am too lazy for daily use!

irishrn
July 17th, 2015, 06:33 PM
I am so sorry to hear you aren't doing well. I experienced serious thrush following a severe MRSA infection in 2008.
My docs were willing to try localized treatment after the diflucan didn't work.
Acidophilus is one probiotic but it must be refrigerated. Dukes swish and swallow is a anti thrush solution that works really well. Also called magic mouthwash. Has to be mixed at the pharmacy and also refrigerated. I used both with good success.

best of luck to you! It isn't fun at all!

alliek
July 17th, 2015, 08:57 PM
Leah, you really are going through a trial. Prayers for your health and healing and that pro-biotic and yogurt advice is right on the money. Please try it, there is no "bad" effect from it, you can only benefit. (((())))hugs

Leah53
July 18th, 2015, 02:18 AM
I did a week of Nystatin swish and swallow, he has now put me on two weeks of it.

The only silver I believe in holding onto is American Silver Eagles, worth much more to me than "silver"ware and the price has dropped to an affordable level for anyone.

Bubby
July 18th, 2015, 08:16 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you. My DH once got an oral yeast infection from taking antibiotics and he was given a pill to let dissolve in his mouth. It took care of it quickly. (((HUGS)))

Leah53
July 18th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Antibiotics have given me some issues since last fall, I now get a prescription for dulflucan with every antibiotic prescription. The last 2 times I got thrush from antibiotics the dulflucan got rid of it, not this time. Do you by any chance remember the name of that pill? Dr. also said it might be from vitamin deficiency but I don't believe that.

The nurse suggested vitamin C lozenges for the dry mouth, tried them, gives temp relief but so does water, lots and lots of water.

easyquilts
July 18th, 2015, 08:36 PM
Oh my goodness! You have way too much going on.... I don't have any ideas, but you fo have my prayers.... I'm so sorry you are having to deal with so much...

Snip Snip
July 19th, 2015, 07:25 PM
You might want to check out the diets for combatting candida. You can get candida overgrowth (yes, the vaginal yeast infection) all through your body. My mom had it so bad it nearly killed her. She had it in her respiratory system, digestive system, everywhere. Most medical doctors just ignore that very pernicious and painful infection, and keep prescribing antibiotics.
The diet consists of starving out the yeast infection, so you would be cutting out all bread and sugar. And you would feel worse for a while, before you feel better. In later years, when Mom would be prescribed diflucan, she would have to take two rounds for it to work.