PDA

View Full Version : Thursday

Blondie
July 16th, 2015, 07:26 AM

Hello Folksies!

I am thrilled to see that our May is feeling good enough to post a wee bit. Welcome home May!

Yesterday as usual was a mixed bag here on The Hill. After a half day spent running, sitting and running again to the city and back, I was able to sit and do some binding work.
I need to get cracking on Christmas gifts. I will be starting a thread on that directly, so get your thinking hats on!

Blackberries are coming in faster than we can pick them. Made a delish blackberry cobbler last evening and threw a few blueberries from the freezer in. My blueberries are just starting to turn, so, mixed blues it was. Yummy. I will be making some jams and cakes in the future, thinking of my dear Daddy and my other dear Russell the entire time. I reckon because they were both country boys of that great generation - they loved anything blackberry. I have a nice old recipe for blackberry pound cake that they both thought was special.

Have a wonderful day my dears. Each one here has a very special role to play in someone's life. Did you ever consider that it could even be to a stranger? The next time you smile at one, just think, that may be the only one they receive that day. It may be the only nice thing anyone has done for them in a while. Just saying.

SMILE!

Ginny B
July 16th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Good Morning all. It's a cool morning here today. Blondie, that cobbler sounds delish.

Been a pretty quiet week at work. Busy but not crazy. My only complaint is that it is FREEZING in there. Why is it that people complain and complain about how cold it is all winter long and then as soon as it gets warm out, they turn the a/c on so that it is now cold inside? I don't understand.

Have a great day everyone and I will look for that Christmas thread Blondie.

wlrquilts
July 16th, 2015, 08:20 AM
Good morning all. Tonight some quilt guild fiends are doing Paint Nite at a local BBQ restaurant, looking forward to that. It was cooler last night so I slept good. I hope everybody has a great day and am sending good thoughts for everyone

songbird857
July 16th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Morning everyone :)
I had fun traipsing around Hobby Lobby yesterday finding 'little' things for my I Spy bag. It was easy to make, I'll make more for sure.
Last night, my friend was mentioning that she wants to make a mug rug in batiks - at first I was telling her that the LQS right across the street from her has wonderful batiks - then I was like... DUH! I ... have some wonderful batiks - she's coming over today to pull from my stash ;) So I'll get to have coffee and a chat with one of my artsy friends - always a good time.
I'd like to get some sewing in too, we'll see.
The one thing I have been doing lately is TAKING time for myself to sew. I've been sewing more, and worrying less about leaving FIL upstairs while I'm downstairs sewing. I've realized that I MUST sew a bit each week, even if it is just a bit. I feel more productive and I'm loving it.
Gonna run and have coffee, get some laundry in, and get FIL breakfast before my friend arrives :) CIAO

Monique
July 16th, 2015, 08:31 AM
Good morning. Blackberries, I thought you were talking about phones there for a minute. I wonder if they would survive being sent in the mail, the berries not the phone. hahahaha

I have been up since 1:30 and could not get back to sleep. I sure could sleep now. Work work only 2 more days. I am taking my sewing machine with me today in hopes that I can get started on a table runner for a wedding gift. Unless I decide to sleep away my lunch hour.

Hubby left at 4 am this morning to take his sister for surgery. May I ask you for prayers that all goes well. She is having a fusion done on her ankle. Thank you in advance.

Off to finish eating and then to work. Have a great day everyone.

MRoy
July 16th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Good morning! I've eaten lots of blackberry cobbler but I've never had blackberry cake.

Ginny, when I was working I kept a sweater in my office and wore it more in the summer than in the winter. Then I'd almost melt when I went outside in the heat. After I retired, it took awhile before I could tolerate high outdoor temps and I blame that cold AC.

I found Omnigrid rulers on sale at Walmart yesterday. I got a 6 x 12 to use at sit-n-sew with my small cutting mat/ironing pad. I also got titanium rotary blades on sale. Not Fiskars or Olfa, so I hope they hold up okay.

We haven't had rain in over 24 hours. I hope the monsoon season here has broken. Have a good day!!

Iris Girl
July 16th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Blackberry cake sounds delish! Can you share the recipe? Work day for me today then off tomorrow and work Sat. N twist locks yet. The slow boat from China is really slow. The other oder seems to be bouncing all around me and teasing me and not getting here. Went from MN to NJ then to Albany now in Newburgh...wish it would just get here. Healing wishes coming everyones way that needs them today as well as some hugs. I started to quilt the jar quilt yesterday and it is 2/3 done. Really REALLY REALLY want to finish my NCW and the mini NCW before I start another one.
Songbird sewing is the best therapy. I find I do alot better with everyone when I can sew a little each day. Even its only 1 seam.

irishrn
July 16th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Good morning all! Quite the sunny morning here and cooler than past days!
Continuing on the renovations, now with all the walls painted. Didn't get to trim yesterday as I decided instead to empty the TV cabinet and hall closet so I could paint that today. There is sooooo much stuff and DH wants to keep it all! Hope he naps today so I can get thru some stuff for good will. But trim definitely needs to be done too, so we will see!!!

Hope all have a good day!

GrammaBabs
July 16th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Good point!
I am one of those "nuts" that gives a quick smile to anyone that crosses my path... LOL
Always have,,, just my nature....:))
Mr. Bill tells people , "of course she's always smiling".... she hasn't a care in the world,,,, I pay for everything!!!! LOL
D straight... yep, I'm truly blessed... that's why i love to "share"....keeps me smiling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JCY
July 16th, 2015, 10:25 AM
I love blackberries! When I lived on the Oregon coast, the berries grew wild along side the road & in many places. One summer I canned several qts. (didn't have a freezer in those days). Blackberry cobbler is yummy. In Mich., we used to go berry picking in the woods for wild huckleberries. The mosquitos were ferocious. Had to wear long pants, long sleeves & use repellent. One summer we went to a blueberry farm & picked berries. I must have eaten as many as I picked. Got so sick in the night! I didn't want to see a blueberry for ages.

DH is making slow gains since the Moh's surgery & nose reconstruction 1 wk. ago. It's been a bad week. So much pain, swelling, & bruising around his eyes & down his left cheek all the way to his chin. I feel so bad for him.

I found a couple hrs. yest. to sew together the blocks of the 9-P/Rail Fence baby quilt. It's ready for borders.

Sunny today. We've been having temps. in the 90's. Sometimes an afternoon brief rain shower. I'm so thankful we got our new swamp cooler installed when we did. We're very pleased with its efficiency.

A Happy Thursday to everyone!

SewnByBee
July 16th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Good morning Blondie and all,

caus these words may apear sometimes and if they do youll understand them. LOL...............Bee

tnmtgrl
July 16th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Good Morning All..........after 2 days of clouds and rain today is beautiful. Blondie I know what you mean about the blackberries ...ours are huge this year and it's a bumper crop...we are at the point now that we are giving them to neighbors up and down our road. Our corn did the same... our stalks went to 12 ft. high with 3-4 ears each...so far I have shucked about 75 ears with more to come, that is a lot for us ...our garden is only about 2500 sq. ft. The only thing left in the garden now is sweet potatoes and carrots...might have some lima beans too. Everything else is now either canned or frozen. We even had enough tomatoes this year to make salsa and canned some ......I should be set for the year without having to buy any canned goods at all.
We'll still have the apples and peaches and pears to deal with....mmmm..applesauce and cider, peach jam, my favorite!
Hope everyone has a wonderful day today!!

Mom23
July 16th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Barb, it doesn't surprise me on bit that you smile to anyone in your path. You just exude kindness!

I've taken a bit of a break from the forum but it's good to be back. I took some time for myself, and mowed, and mowed, and mowed. We are going to have to get a lawn roller to smooth out the ruts I've cut in the yard with the tractor. Oh, and last count was 15 or 16 snakes in the yard. I guess they are coming up to the high ground. Ick. Tomorrow will be the first time I've mowed dry grass in weeks.

I decided to take some time for myself to get healthier after gaining 15 pounds over the past year. So far I am down 8 pounds. Jeez, it sure is harder to take off than put on! I do have more energy and find it hard to settle down and go to sleep at night. It's all work in progress but I can do this!!

I'm also back in my sewing room. I made two quilts to take to Cardinal Glennon next week and I'm working on a pinwheel quilt using 1930's repo fabric. I just love the colors. My only commitment today is delivering Meals on Wheels so I might get the entire quilt pieced today.

We got to see our grandson last Sunday. Hubby called to see if we could meet them at a restaurant and we were invited to their house to play with him first. It was a great day and hopefully the start of something new. I can't believe how much those three hours changed me. It definitely put a spring in my step!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 16th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Hi everyone! Well, I've just spent the morning doing the part of quilt making I like least, adding borders and preparing backings. Our date to deliver the PICU quilts next Tuesday lit a fire under me to get all those planned quilts finished! I have 5 ready to quilt, with a couple more I'd like to get finished if I don't run out of time and energy!

We're back with heat after a nice break yesterday. Good for the grandkids who just got their backyard pool up and running after a very soggy June. My basement sewing studio is nice and cool, so I don't mind working down there.

Hope you all have a great day!

Simply Quilting
July 16th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Good Afternoon! We ended up with 7.20 inches of rain last night. Yes, over SEVEN in less than seven hours. With the wind and the rain, thing have been blown around. So lots of flood warnings. A town to the east of us got 9.25 inches. And there was a tornado south of us.

Laundry and housework on the schedule for today. Then I've got some pressing to do on a project.

Have a great day everyone :)