PDA

View Full Version : My poor fur baby Sassy

KathyCrofoot
July 13th, 2015, 03:02 PM
My little Sassy - the gray striped one that likes to be snuggled into my quilts while I'm binding them.

After I left on the 1st, my hubby said Sassy was acting a little skittish, staying under the bed most of the time hiding, but he didn't think much of it because she came out to eat and for a little snuggling. Well when I got home on Saturday she had a knot on her throat. Weird - her voice sounded funny too. I called the vet and he said if she's eating and drinking, bring her in on Monday (today). We were there first thing this morning...

They did x-rays and found she swallowed a NEEDLE. When they opened her up it had THREAD still in it!!!!! My poor baby had that stuck in her for some time (no telling how long) I know I put away all my stuff before I left... Maybe she found one that got disconnected from what I was working on, I don't know.

She had to endure surgery this morning and when they tried to remove the needle it broke! Now she has to stay at the hospital overnight. I'm so sad my Sassy had to have this happen to her, and probably had been in pain for more than a week. I am so mad at myself for my carelessness.

Please be careful with needles around your fur babies!

irishrn
July 13th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Oh Kathy, I know you must feel terrible but these things happen with animals. They sometimes do things that just don't make sense!
My BFF had a cat that ate the belt loops off of her husbands pants and ended up in surgery! Who could possible think of all the millions of things they can get into!
Hoping Miss Sassy will feel better soon and all will be well again!

Lori63
July 13th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Oh my, I hope Sassy will be fine. I let my cats in my sewing room all the time, makes me think I should pick up after myself much better.

Snickeldorfer
July 13th, 2015, 03:32 PM
sending giant furry hugs to ms sassy
feeling for your poor baby
amazing the things they will pick up
someone (dwil?) told of her dog eating a twist tie

Amy R
July 13th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Oh dear, so sorry to hear this! Hope she recovers quickly! no matter how careful sometimes these things happen!

SallyO'Sews
July 13th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Oh, poor kitty! Hope she's back to her Sassy self soon.

Midge
July 13th, 2015, 04:00 PM
Oh Kathy, I know exactly how you feel! Long ago I was doing some reupholstering and my late, dear Robin (kitty) swallowed a large curved upholstery needle, threaded, fortunately. I didn't know it happened until the thread started coming out the other end of the digestive tract. So I was able to realize why he was lying around instead of playing. He needed surgery to get the needle out of his intestine. Fortunately, he suffered no more ill effects. I felt so guilty about it and I have been fanatical about keeping track of needles and pins since. I hope your poor baby perks back up very soon!

Carrie J
July 13th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Awww Kathy, we always feel so bad when our furkids hurt, worse when we do something unintentional!! Glad that it was found, and taken care of. That's the thing about furkids, no matter what, they give us unlimited love, companionship and silent but real understanding. She'll be purring soon again on your quilts. Hugs!

songbird857
July 13th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Ohhhh.... I hope she's better soon! I always worry about Ella getting into something that i missed on the floor of my sewing room.

Iris Girl
July 13th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Hope she feels better soon. Our furbabies have such a special place in our hearts , it hurts to see them hurt.

bopeep
July 13th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Oh poor baby ... I Pray she is better now .... I saw on tv the other day that a dog on eaten a bunch of hair ties I think it was ... we just never know ..... don't be too hard on yourself .... things like this do happen sometimes ....
bopeep

SewnByBee
July 13th, 2015, 06:33 PM
Oh gosh, recon she had been playing with the threasd ? To sallow a needle, you just never can tell what these lil guys will get into. Hope she'll be ok..........Bee

JCY
July 13th, 2015, 06:50 PM
I just finished reading the book about DEWEY, the library cat in Spencer, Iowa. He used to eat rubber bands. They had to hide all the rubber bands in the library. A delightful story, if you haven't read the book. Hope your kitty will be okay.

Hulamoon
July 13th, 2015, 07:00 PM
That gave me a shiver. Poor baby, I hope she heals fast.

easyquilts
July 13th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Ion, ?Kathy... I know you must feel awful..... Poor little Sassy.... I hope she will be her old self in no time,

One if my twinChihuahuas....who is pretty big.....eats everything.... My vet us used to me calling him at all hours.... He actually demolished two expensive spools of Aurifil thread, plus a hearing aid.... Nothing is safe....

Give Sassy a pat from me....

Kgrammiecaz
July 13th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Oh my, so sorry to hear. I as well know how hard it is for us to keep up. It seems no matter how careful we are, how much we sweep and vacuum, etc. they manage to find what we missed. I worry all the time that Zoey will find something.

Hugs to you both and a prayer for a quick recovery.

CraftHer
July 13th, 2015, 07:59 PM
I've been careful to be sure I don't drop pins and needles on the floor so our fur kids (lab and cat) don't step on them. I just never thought of our cat eating stuff! I hope you're Sassy recovers very quickly.

classynsassy
July 13th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Healing prayers for Miss. Sassy!! Our babies do mange to get into the darnest things!! Don't blame yourself, things happen, you found the issue and hopefully she will make a full recovery. I try my best to keep my door closed and my cats out of my sewing areas, but they are sneaky and my herding skills fall short when it comes to felines. Please keep us updated on how she is doing, she sure it cute!!!!

Simply Quilting
July 13th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Oh poor furbaby. I hope that she heals quickly.

Sylvia H
July 13th, 2015, 09:53 PM
Kathy, I am sure she is going to be okay. But I understand how terrible it is to feel responsible for this kind of accident. I had something similar happen with my dog. I still have the two parts of the needle in a medicine bottle (given to me by my vet who did the surgery). I call it my $1000 needle! And it also had thread on it! I think it was caught in his paw, and when he tried to pull it out, it got stuck in his mouth (I actually saw it there!). In his attempts to get rid of it, he must have bit it into two pieces and swallowed them. I was trying to get a neighbor to help me get it out of his mouth, but couldn't get help in time. We are both fortunate to have the problem dealt with before anything worse happened.

auntiemern
July 13th, 2015, 11:14 PM
Oh Kathy, so sorry this has happened to your baby. Prayers and hugs for both of you.

lmanna
July 13th, 2015, 11:36 PM
YIKES - I must get better at keeping track of my needles. I think I do a pretty good job and then hubby tends to find one on the floor somewhere. I've been lucky so far that none of my animals have ever gotten into trouble with one of them but I certainly do not want to push my luck.

My thoughts are with you and Sassy.

tamsterg7
July 13th, 2015, 11:55 PM
So sorry your baby had to go thru this, but don't be so hard on yourself. Pets can get into things that you put out of the way. My sheepdog was the worst for eating things. She ate 1 of every little baby bootie when our youngest was an infant, and then pooped 'em out in the yard -very colorful. Then she ate a $50 bill but we never found that (of course), a bucket of live crawdads when we were at the lake, my DH tube socks were favs, but never swallowed (think boa constrictor), and the best was when she yacked up a pair of my daughters undies while at the groomers. They saved them in a baggie in case we wanted them (really?) All this before she turned 3 years and she was with me until she was almost 12. I miss that silly girl! Hope gour kitty gets to come home tomorrow and is feeling better soon.

mommamarsh
July 14th, 2015, 03:00 AM
Thinking good thoughts for you and Sassy . So very sorry it happened but you are still a good fur-mom.

KathyCrofoot
July 14th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Update - Sassy is supposed to be coming home today. The doctor called late last evening and let us know that she was resting comfortably - though with pain meds. She had eaten a little and time will tell if everything comes out all right. She'll have to have meds for a little while probably this week so she'll need to be segregated from our other cat for now.

KathyCrofoot
July 14th, 2015, 12:58 PM
The baby is home with her meds and the needle that was removed... As someone else said, my $700 needle! Ouch... She took off for her hiding nest in the rafters. I hope to see her for dinner tonight. Otherwise I have to let her be...

irishrn
July 14th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Kathy, so glad your baby is home! I hope the next few days are uneventful for Sassy!!

TMP
July 14th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Poor Kitty. About four years ago on a Friday, I got out of the tub and laid down in the bed and thought something is horribly wrong , horrible pain (thought I had some how broke a bone in my hip). Well it didn't get any better and I with it being the weekend I couldn't see my regular doctor and had to go to a doc-in-the-box. They took an x-ray and it showed a needle in my
upper leg. Long story short I had to suffer with that silly thing in me until Tuesday and have surgery to remove it. I don't remember
sitting on a needle , surely I would have felt this thing when it went in me. My mom thought that at some time in my life during a surgery or having a baby they left it in me .. Who know was it sewing ? I can't stress enough how important it is to count or have some sort of process of keeping up with needles. It was some of the worst pain I have ever had. I am real cautious with needles and pins now. I hope your kitty gets well soon 114039 Yep I kept it

Sylvia H
July 14th, 2015, 06:04 PM
The baby is home with her meds and the needle that was removed... As someone else said, my $700 needle! Ouch... She took off for her hiding nest in the rafters. I hope to see her for dinner tonight. Otherwise I have to let her be...

Oh, they do like to hide after the stress of being at the vets. I am sure she will be showing herself in awhile after she feels secure again. Any human tuna for the recovering kitty?

redcaboose1717
July 14th, 2015, 06:28 PM
Kathy,
Don't be so hard on yourself....sweetie. Things happen, no matter how careful we are with our animals. You story made me cringe thinking about my SIL who sews and just "throws" pins on the floor and everywhere....( you don't want to go barefoot in her home ! )
Sassy is a pretty cat.....
I remember years ago, my parents had a basset hound and he took a bottle cap from a pop bottle out of the garbage pain my mom had ( it was a small pail ) and swallowed it. Lucky for the dog my mom seen him pick the cap out of the pail, and she knew right away the dog had swallowed it......but it was still a costly trip to the vet ( he spent 2 days in the hospital too ) . After that, my mom always had a little plastic dish that we put our bottle caps / can pull-tabs ( this was way back in the 1960's-70's of course ) in, and then my mom would put the caps / tabs in a baggie, and then a lunch bag tied with a twist tie to avoid the dog from ever doing that again.

Special "((((HUGS))))" to Sassy !!
( she looks like our first cat we had 20 yrs ago...( male ) named Matthew ( for the "M" on his forehead )...). He was our oldest son Jeremy's cat.

Bubby
July 14th, 2015, 06:35 PM
When our Dottie was 7 months old she climbed up on the kitchen table and ate two water bottles and a few corks and had to have very major surgery. She was in the hospital for almost a week. Her incision runs from right under her chin almost to her tail.

I hope your baby heals quickly.