PDA

View Full Version : Any car mechanics here?

Hulamoon
July 13th, 2015, 12:02 AM
Dang. I was putting some gas in my car from a portable gas can and the spring from the funnel went into my gas tank. What will happen? It just goes to the bottom? I don't need a car problem right now :(

K. McEuen
July 13th, 2015, 12:34 AM
Haha, the new guy, jbrewer, is a Ferrari mechanic.

The spring might interfere with the float in your tank that works the gas gauge. So maybe you think you have a 1/2 tank because the spring wedged under the float, but really your tank is sucking fumes. I dont know about corrosion issues, but I'm thinking that they would have to drop your tank to get the spring out. If that's the case, try not to have much gas in the tank when you take it in.

Hulamoon
July 13th, 2015, 12:43 AM
Thanks Karen

The spring is about 1'' or a little less wide and 3'' long if that helps the question. It's an Echo, 16 yrs old. I should of bought a car instead of a new sewing machine,

stationarymom
July 13th, 2015, 01:53 AM
I can't help,but wanted to say good luck.

Quiltfreestyle
July 13th, 2015, 02:09 AM
I'm not a mechanic but you should be able to call one & explain the problem. I would think they could tell you over the phone how much it would cost to retrieve the spring & any potential problems if you don't get it out.
Meanwhile this reminds me of a Catalina Coupe my family had back in the 60's. My aunt & uncle lived with us & it was their car, but my mom & grandma drove it too. The gas gauge was broken so whoever filled the tank had to write down the mileage. They knew how many miles they could get from a tank & they just checked the last number written on the notepad in the visor to make sure they weren't getting low. There were only a couple of times that someone ran out of gas cuz they forgot to check the mileage...

Iris Girl
July 13th, 2015, 05:50 AM
My hubby who does most of our car repairs says it should not bother anything but just lay in the bottom of your tank.
If you take it to a shop they will charge you big money to remove the tank drain it and put it back on. Probably find other things not necessary to charge you for also. Can you tell I don't trust most mechanics and shops? So glad hubby is very very mechanical.

Hulamoon
July 13th, 2015, 07:15 AM
Thanks April that makes me feel much better. Thank hubby from me too. :)

Hulamoon
July 13th, 2015, 07:20 AM
Patt my speed guage is broken or going to break. I have to knock on the guage for the arrow to move. ugg

Learner quilter
July 13th, 2015, 07:21 AM
A car instead of a sewing machine?..... I think you made the right choice.....
Good luck... Hope the spring drops to the bottom...

Doloris
July 13th, 2015, 08:29 AM
set the trip odometer to 0 when you fill the tank. then watch the gas gauge and see how many miles you get. always reset the trip od when you fill the tank

jbrewer
July 14th, 2015, 12:07 AM
A couple of things:

The spring sounds kind of big to make it through the filler hole, and if it did, it is quite possible stuck somewhere in the filler neck and never made it into the tank. I would suggest getting a long flexible magnet and try to fish it out of the hole, but the magnet might get stuck or slip out of your hands.

If the spring made it into the tank, there is no way at all it could do any damage to the fuel system. (never say never!) At worse it would cause a rattle rolling around but you would have to have supersonic hearing to hear it.

As for interfering with the fuel level float, she spring will not float and would be hard to interfere with the float or float arm.

My guess is that it is stuck in the neck somewhere. Vehicle have a curved, complex path from the filler hole to the tank with other hoses. It is very difficult nowadays to feed a siphon hose into the tank. I hope this puts your mind at ease.

Snickeldorfer
July 14th, 2015, 12:45 AM
and so i bow and exit quietly
did i ever tell you about the time

Hulamoon
July 14th, 2015, 12:55 AM
Jb, thanks so much for such an excellant explanation. I feel much, much better. I would get another car, or better a truck before fixing this. lol

SD do tell...

jbrewer
July 14th, 2015, 01:12 AM
I just bought a newer car a month ago. Still have the old one in the driveway. Needs a couple hundred in parts to fix it. I bought it new in '03 and has no value (Explorer) other than what craigslist brings. I understand your situation!

I hope all is well with it otherwise.

FabStripper
July 14th, 2015, 02:48 AM
Now we know why gas prices JUMP. Lol! Sorry I couldn't resist. I am glad to read that it sounds like its not a problem.