PDA

View Full Version : rain....rain...go away...

Genny
July 11th, 2015, 10:12 AM
I know theres a lot of people on here that need the rain and I pray that you get it soon.....BUT...I wish ours would go away. We've had tons of rain in the last 2 months and we are so sick of it...These pictures shows how much we got this morning in the past 2 hours. Sorry the pictures aren't too good but I was taking them thru our back door screen.

Sonic
July 11th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Genny, I feel your pain. It's been exactly the same here where I live.
Almost 2 straight months of rain!
The ground just can't take anymore and trees are falling over in the slightest of breezes.

sewluvit
July 11th, 2015, 10:46 AM
I would give anything for one day of this sort of rain! Very dry and hot here.

Genny
July 11th, 2015, 11:02 AM
DH just checked the rain gauge...3.5 inches this morning and still raining.

sewluvit....wish we could send you some...lol...

Simply Quilting
July 11th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Those pictures look like what we had one day last month. The problem that our area is running into is that it was so wet for so long that it has dried up some and now we have huge cracks in the ground because it went from being so wet to being so dry so quickly. We missed all the rain that Kansas City and St. Joseph have been having.

Carlie Wolf
July 11th, 2015, 12:26 PM
We have been getting a lot of rain here too. Seems like every day for the last two months. The only way I can make myself feel better about it is to be thankful this isn't the winter. Can you imagine how much snow would be on the ground to shovel???

JAM
July 11th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Rainy days, one after another!

The ground can't soak it up anymore and it feels squishy. Welcome to the wetlands!

MRoy
July 11th, 2015, 02:14 PM
We've had rain in our part of Kentucky every day but one in the past 3 weeks. So far it's not rained today, but more is forecasted for tomorrow and next week. Crops are beginning to suffer from too much water.

SuzyQue
July 11th, 2015, 02:21 PM
My farmer hubby is really feeling the effects of all this rain. The wheat crop has been affected to the point of the elevator not being able to tell us it they will pay us or we will pay them! The rain washed all the protein out of the wheat heads. We were lucky not to have the fungus that is prevalent, but that didn't help the wheat being drowned! The soybeans look ok for now, but the corn is making ears and they are already showing signs of stress. Yep, the yard is mushy and the grass and weeds are over abundant, but the worst for us is the crop damage!

MRoy
July 11th, 2015, 02:52 PM
We have about 100 acres of hay that needs cutting badly. The soybeans are getting pale and you can barely see them for the johnsongrass that we can't get sprayed because the fields are too wet to drive on. We're wicking Roundup onto the weeds and grass between the garden rows to try to kill them without killing the vegetable plants. The only positive is the pastures are growing and the beef cows have plenty of grass to eat.

My farmer hubby is really feeling the effects of all this rain. The wheat crop has been affected to the point of the elevator not being able to tell us it they will pay us or we will pay them! The rain washed all the protein out of the wheat heads. We were lucky not to have the fungus that is prevalent, but that didn't help the wheat being drowned! The soybeans look ok for now, but the corn is making ears and they are already showing signs of stress. Yep, the yard is mushy and the grass and weeds are over abundant, but the worst for us is the crop damage!

sewluvit
July 11th, 2015, 03:07 PM
DH just checked the rain gauge...3.5 inches this morning and still raining.

sewluvit....wish we could send you some...lol...

Oh Genny, I sure wish you could too!

bec
July 11th, 2015, 03:16 PM
We've had rain in our part of Kentucky every day but one in the past 3 weeks. So far it's not rained today, but more is forecasted for tomorrow and next week. Crops are beginning to suffer from too much water.

Same here in Indiana. Our vegetable garden is going to rot soon if we don't get some substantial sunshine.

Genny
July 11th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Well the sun has come out and now its hot and humid. They're saying tomorrow and Monday we'll have Tropical Humidity and Heat...oh joy! We ended up with 3.8 inches of rain in 3 hours.

I really do feel for the farmers and their crops...what a crazy year. Next summer it'll probably be hot and dry.

GaGa
July 11th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Same here in northeast Missouri. Very squishy! It was almost to the point that I thought I could mow tomorrow and then we got lots of rain during the night. We mowed one field of hay and it got ruined. What a mess. Seems like we haven't had a summer.

KPH
July 11th, 2015, 06:26 PM
I'll gladly take it off your hands...we've been baking with temps over 100 for countless days.

Katrina

Bubby
July 11th, 2015, 06:54 PM
We are having the same problem here. We have a small lake in our front yard and the grass never gets dry enough to mow yet it continues to grow. Frustration.

irishrn
July 11th, 2015, 06:57 PM
We've had rain on and off but nothing like you've had in the middle states!
The heat has been horrible, but the humidity is beneficial for dry eye so I take it when I can get it!
I hope you are all able to save the vegetables and planted fields. Haying here has been pretty much non stop this season!
Hugs to all the soggy folks!,

MRoy
July 11th, 2015, 07:02 PM
Barb, I've mowed wet grass between rains this year. I hated to do it, but I didn't want it to get totally out of hand. The grass across the road from our house hasn't been mowed in two weeks. Water is standing there and the mower would hang up.

We are having the same problem here. We have a small lake in our front yard and the grass never gets dry enough to mow yet it continues to grow. Frustration.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 11th, 2015, 11:09 PM
Lots of rain in mid Missouri too. (Autocorrect went with "mud Missouri" -- good call, autocorrect.) As we were wading through another swampy dog walk yesterday I was just saying to DH that it must be a real problem for farmers and people with low lying land. It has made for a few nice cool evenings for us & I can tolerate getting wet feet while walking the pooch.

jjkaiser
July 12th, 2015, 12:10 AM
No rain in southeast Wisconsin boy we could sure use it! And some sun would be good too. We have had only one day all summer that was 80, mostly it's been only in the high 60's. I haven't even dug out my shorts or sandals yet!! This isn't summer!

bajasadie
July 12th, 2015, 12:29 AM
When huge beautiful oaks are dying, grass on golf courses, parks, at the state Capitol are all dead it is very sad. Not to mention our water bills are craaaazy, and no rain in sight ;(- you all back east are lucky. They say it will be an El Niņo year.....I really pray so.

brook
July 12th, 2015, 02:15 AM
Sorry that it's raining so much in your area. I am in one of the drought areas. We would love to get just some of your rain.

Andrea F
July 12th, 2015, 05:49 AM
Oh my, that's a lot of rain. It's raining here on and off but nothing compared to your amount of rain and we have dry days in between the rainy days. Hope it gets better soon and the rain wanders to those areas that need it.

Genny
July 12th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Well today we're in a Heat Advisiory...Heat index 106 and very humid. I'm heading to Walmart for a few things and then I'll be in the house the rest of the day.

Have a good day everyone!

bec
July 13th, 2015, 03:58 AM
We pipe oil across the country. Why can't we pipe water to California where they desperately need it? That's where a big part of our fruits and vegetables come from and many communities are in dire need of water for everyday living.
Praying for relief for them and relief for the areas that are waterlogged and flooded.