PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever done something so stupid???

RFREE
July 10th, 2015, 05:11 PM
I was up at 5 in my sewing room using a seam ripper to start a hole in the edge some wooden letters. Well it slipped and I stabbed the end of my thumb...deep... felt it cut!! SO once I got bandaged up I proceeded to use my drimmel drill thinking it would be easier....Yea you guessed it ...it slipped and I shoved the drill into the end of my middle finger while it was drilling!!!! OMG M M M now that hurt. I immediately jerked it out and the blood poured out of my finger. Needless to say both these fingers are so sore I can't stand it. My middle finger is bruised plum down to the first joint!! Im sure its full of wood shavings. I can feel my heart beating in my finger!
I probably should have went to bed after the first mis-hap!!

Have you ever done anything so stupid???

K. McEuen
July 10th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Ouch and yep. I pushed one of those tiny crochet hooks, the ones for making doilies into my middle finger. Had to go to the ER to have them cut it out since I couldn't back it out since it kept hooking on things inside my finger.

Claire Hallman
July 10th, 2015, 05:22 PM
Ouch, you need to be sure there aren't any wood shavings in there to fester up and cause you more problems.

I once stabbed a xacto knife up to the hilt into my thumb pad. It bled for so long I ended up going to the ER. They just cleaned it really well [ouch again] and bandaged it, it hurt for weeks and the skin is still hard there due to scar tissue..

irishrn
July 10th, 2015, 05:22 PM
RFREE.... Did you plan to see someone about those injuries?? Fingers can get infected quickly and the one with the drill bit sounds like it may be a potential set up for a nasty infection!! Even superficial cuts can develope a super infection so you should really consider having it checked!!! Soooooooooon!!

RFREE
July 10th, 2015, 05:23 PM
Ouch and yep. I pushed one of those tiny crochet hooks, the ones for making doilies into my middle finger. Had to go to the ER to have them cut it out since I couldn't back it out sine it kept hooking on things inside my finger.

OUCH!!! I feel better now.lol I will probably end up in the Dr. office with the middle finger. It hurts to bad for it to just heal up without any problems.

Hulamoon
July 10th, 2015, 05:31 PM
That gave me the shivers! When I was working at a craft store I was breaking down boxes and one of those huge staples went though my fingers. My boss took me to the hospital with the box attached. I'm scared of boxes now :lol:

MRoy
July 10th, 2015, 05:47 PM
Rhonda, have you had a tetanus shot lately? Sounds like you need to get your fingers checked out. And, yes, I've done something like this...sewed through my finger a few weeks ago and the needle broke in my finger. I had to get DH to pull it out because I couldn't look at it.

Amy R
July 10th, 2015, 05:58 PM
oh my gosh hope you heal quickly. Ouch!

K. McEuen
July 10th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Myrna beat me to it. I was going to suggest you at least get a tetanus shot if you haven't had one recently.

shirleyknot
July 10th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Have to wonder where you last had that drill...........

Iris Girl
July 10th, 2015, 06:19 PM
you guys are making me get chills. Thought I was bad skimming across my thumb last week with my new purple rotary cutter. It went deep and hubby wanted me to go to DR. Its healed wonderful now with my tender care.

Snickeldorfer
July 10th, 2015, 06:32 PM
stupid things? yes, i am very guilty of a lot of them

K McE have to share, mom crocheted and wasn't much of a talker. dad was a jokester (ever wonder where i got it) and one night he asked her a question but she was counting stitches, he tossed a small pillow and it pushed the hook clear through her thumb, even the nail. he felt like . . . well, we always said butinsky

bakermom
July 10th, 2015, 07:06 PM
Ouch and yep. I pushed one of those tiny crochet hooks, the ones for making doilies into my middle finger. Had to go to the ER to have them cut it out since I couldn't back it out since it kept hooking on things inside my finger.

Oooh I remember my mom doing that when I was little. We had to go find a neighbor to drive her to Dr. to get it out.

I have a numb area on one finger from where I cut it open while slicing an apple with a serrated knife. Knife went through the apple at a weird angle and sliced DEEP into finger damaging nerves.

GrammaBabs
July 10th, 2015, 07:17 PM
First... tomorrow you must see the Doc....
Second.. when i can "feel the pulsating in the wound"... i stick my finger in a bowl of peroxide... always.. my go to..
Third,,, i hate to admit it,,, but once a "ticked" my Mom off SO MUCH... she jabbed me with her knitting needle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep,, she did..
I was truly at the age when I didn't know better than to push things too far....hehehehehehe....
As a Mom,,, thinking back,, i can totally understand where she was coming from... not the way i would have reacted,,, but, hey,,, that was my Mom!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simply Quilting
July 10th, 2015, 08:01 PM
Ouch! Hope you heal quickly.

SuzyQue
July 10th, 2015, 08:05 PM
Ouch! I hope you have seen a Dr. and I pray you heal quickly!

kaydee
July 10th, 2015, 10:23 PM
To alleviate the pulsating pain, try keeping your hand raised above your heart.

I hope you do go see a doctor.

And yes, stupid things are my forte.

I hope you feel better soon.

Carrie J
July 10th, 2015, 10:43 PM
Ew and OUCH, as previously mentioned, get that looked at by a Physician pronto, make sure your tetanus is up to date, and don't delay!!

Most stupid thing I did, was with scissors, holding a piece of leather with left hand, forcing scissors to cut with my right, almost shaved off half of the side of my thumb. Yep, pretty darned stupid! Several stitches later, loss of thumb nail and sore as sin forever!

easyquilts
July 10th, 2015, 11:05 PM
As a former paramedic, I suggest you see a doctor re. your injuries.... Not only can fingers easily become infected, there could be nerve damage... See a doctor as soon as you can.... You don't want to take any chances...

I once seriously cut my finger with a rotary cutter.... Took forever to completely heal."was sensitive for a long time.

Altairss
July 10th, 2015, 11:38 PM
Ouchie! Yes see the doc trust me this can go bad very quickly I have a wood bur drill attachment for my dremel flex drive and lets just say that thing should never tough flesh. That thing heats up when you use it. So big messy hole and cauterizing all in one go with all the bad stuff in side.

mommamarsh
July 11th, 2015, 01:51 AM
OMG ! Hope you feel better soon . I echo all the advise to get them seen about. and my "dumb list" would stretch for miles !!

rebeccas-sewing
July 11th, 2015, 03:27 AM
Rhonda, please see a doctor about that finger. The problems that could arise from an infection are not something you want to encounter. Didn't anyone tell you not to do this stuff at night? Also, the stupid part is not the injury. In my opinion, the stupid part is not having it checked out. See a doc!

Deegles
July 11th, 2015, 09:02 AM
My first reaction to your post was laughter which is just not nice. The way you wrote your story was pretty funny, but the situation not so much. Yes I have done stupid things here is one for example. In my old job we used a heat gun to shrink some tubing on wires. The tip of this heat gun had a cone on it so you can point in the general direction of this cone and it will get hot fast. Well on that day I was wearing my hair long, past the shoulders and the front half was tied up with a hair clip. I started melting the tubing and was pointing the heat gun up over my right shoulder, but it was not far enough up and over. Dog gonnit, I started smelling burnt hair. I am glad that is all that burned because I have been burnt on the skin with one of those too. So for a few weeks my hair on one side of my head was very brittle, frayed, frizzy, and odd. My hair healed with time lol.

DebbieDoodle
July 11th, 2015, 12:03 PM
My first quilt, I sliced the tip of my index finger with the rotary cutter, and had to go to the ER for stitches. My second quilt, I was machine piecing, and had my fingers too close to the feed dogs. All of a sudden, the needle was all the way thru the fatty part of the tip of my middle finger, with the needle in the down position. I was literally attached to the machine at that point. Luckily, my DH was home. We finally got the needle up, and out of the machine. He pulled it out, and I was fine. No bleeding, no pain. My third quilt, I reached across my hot iron, and burned the heck out of the fatty part of my upper arm. I now have the iron like JD, that you don't sit up. I am now on my fourth quilt, and so far so good. All I have left to do is the quilting and binding. Knock on wood.

tnmtgrl
July 11th, 2015, 03:38 PM
About a year ago I sliced off the end of my finger and about 1/4 of my finger nail with a rotary cutter.....yea it wasn't pretty. I remember wrapping it up in a piece of fabric and running outside to get my DH... he was like let me see it and took off the fabric at which point blood went squirting a couple feet out the end of my finger. The end of that finger is flat now and it still tingles on the very end.