PDA

View Full Version : DH's Mohs Surgery & Nose Reconstruction

JCY
July 9th, 2015, 10:53 PM
Today was not a good day for DH. He had a nose biopsy on June 22 which was diagnosed as Basal Cell Carcinoma. This a.m. he had the Mohs surgery to make sure all the margins were clear. The surgeon reads the slides on site. One has to wait about an hour in a little waiting room after each "slice". Patients rotate in & out of the treatment rooms & wait to find out if more needs to be taken off. The surgeon didn't get it all the first time, so had to take more on the 2nd round. DH ended up with a crater on the end of nose the size of a dime! So...how to "close" was the next decision. The recommended procedure was to cut open his nose to create a flap to pull down over the surgical site rather than take skin from the neck for a graft. It involved much suturing. We were there a total of 4 hrs. He already was worn out when he went this a.m. (has other chronic health problems) & felt even worse when he came home. His whole nose is covered with a huge pressure dressing. He said the pain is 2nd worse only to the fractured arm he had 3 yrs. ago. I feel so bad for him. He can't really take narcotic pain pills, & Tylenol just doesn't do that much, so he is suffering through. He was supposed to ice it for 10 min. every hour till bedtime. Our ice packs were too heavy, so I wet a wash cloth & put it in the freezer. I slid it in a plastic bag so he wouldn't get the dressing wet. The ice was to reduce swelling & bleeding.

I hope tomorrow will be a better day for him. Hoping & praying all heals well with no complications.

CraftyJnet
July 9th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Saying prayers for your DH.

quiltingtrish
July 9th, 2015, 11:06 PM
It does sound like a traumatic day for him. I'll pray he gets some sleep tonight and feels better tomorrow. I'm sure it's not easy being in your shoes either when you know he's hurting.

Midge
July 9th, 2015, 11:10 PM
Sounds like he is going to have a rough night ahead of him. I hope he can relax - maybe he will be so exhausted sleep will come for a while despite the pain. Too bad he can't take opiates. Your idea of freezing wet washcloths in a baggie is a good one. If regular washcloths are too heavy for him because of his pain right now, you can cut some pieces of flannel and wring them out in cold water for your cold packs. Much lighter.

EsGrandma
July 9th, 2015, 11:28 PM
So sorry for all of the pain - hope and pray that tomorrow (or maybe the next day) brings relief to him and rest for you.

Ginny B
July 9th, 2015, 11:38 PM
Sounds like a rough day. I hope your hubby will be able to get some sleep tonight...... and you too.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 9th, 2015, 11:45 PM
I hope he feels better soon, and you too xxxx

Kgrammiecaz
July 9th, 2015, 11:46 PM
So sorry to hear he had such a rough day. Hopefully he is worn out enough to sleep. Prayers for a quick recovery.

FabStripper
July 9th, 2015, 11:49 PM
If its not to late can you get a face cloth wet and wring it out then put that in the freezer? If you rotate some of those that should help keep him comfy.

sewbizzy
July 9th, 2015, 11:55 PM
Sending prayers for pain relief and fast healing for your dh...

sewlucky
July 9th, 2015, 11:57 PM
Poor guy! That sounds terribly painful :( I hope they got all the margins now and that each day is much better. Good idea on the frozen face clothes.

Terri

stationarymom
July 10th, 2015, 02:15 AM
I hope he has a good night and that tomorrow will be a better day for the two of you.I am sending prayers for a speedy recovery.

laura44
July 10th, 2015, 02:31 AM
Praying for him, I know what he is going thru. I've had 4 surgeries
under my eye for melanoma. One time was 52 stitches.
Tell him to hang in there. The pain will fade, the scars will fade.
Praying for you too. Everyone use sunblock, please!

quiltsRfun
July 10th, 2015, 02:37 AM
What an ordeal. Hope he's feeling better soon.

mommamarsh
July 10th, 2015, 03:05 AM
Sending good thoughts you you both .

rebeccas-sewing
July 10th, 2015, 03:39 AM
I guess we all need to remember to wear sunscreen when we're outside. I'm really bad at remembering and I should know better. My mother-in-law had the same cancer on her nose. I truly sympathize with what you and your husband are going through. It's so unfortunate that he can't take pain medicine. My sister doesn't tolerate medications well at all. She recently had surgery to remove part of her tongue due to cancer and just had to get by with Advil, Tylenol and I think the doctor prescribed a higher dose of something similar for her. Don't know if she ever took it. All I can say is hang in there. Is he able to take anything to at least help him sleep?

Andrea F
July 10th, 2015, 04:02 AM
Sounds like he had a real bad day and you too. I hope the pain goes away quickly, he feels better soon and everything heals well!

Iris Girl
July 10th, 2015, 06:27 AM
sending healing thoughts to both of you.

Lightwriter
July 10th, 2015, 06:34 AM
I hope all goes well for your Hubbie. My DH has had MOHs twice and another is coming up in August. The last one was on his ear and after they literally cut off the outer rim of the ear, pulled it up and reattached. I stopped and got pain meds for him though he didn't think it was necessary. He ended up taking some of them...said it was the worst pain he had ever had and he is a pretty tough cookie. They do some pretty miraculous things with MOHs but it is pretty stressful stuff to do in an office setting.

Hope the pain will resolve soon for him. It is challenging when pain is unresolved.

DH's problems stem from sun exposure in Vietnam...before sunscreen was available. They pretty much scorched every day. He is good about the sunscreen and hats now.

Blondie
July 10th, 2015, 06:41 AM
Continuing to keep you both in my prayers. He has really been down the rabbit hole of misery and carried you right along with him. Here's an gentle hug, kind word and a bucket load of prayers, dear lady.

Monique
July 10th, 2015, 08:02 AM
I hope he heals quickly from this.

JCY
July 10th, 2015, 02:24 PM
DH didn't get much sleep last night. No, he cannot take any kind of sleeping pills. This a.m. his L. cheek by his L. eye is all bruised & swollen. The dr. said to expect bruising. We have to leave the pressure dressing on for 24 hrs., so we've got a couple hrs. to go yet. He felt so weak this a.m. I had to help him get dressed. He's doing a little better now. Icing with the cloth every hr. for 10 min. He lost 3 lb. overnight! He couldn't eat much yest. It hurt his nose & face to eat. He's taking it easy in the recliner today. I feel so bad for him. I know the old saying, This too shall pass, but...it's hard when you're in the middle of it.

We appreciate all the prayers & positive thoughts.

Simply Quilting
July 10th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Praying for him and you.

Amy R
July 10th, 2015, 09:08 PM
Oh dear poor hubby. May he find relief sooner than later and at least be able to eat/rest easier.

Hugs to you too for all the good care you're giving him.
You are both in my prayers!

Carrie J
July 10th, 2015, 09:53 PM
Sending prayers of relief, sleep, renewed appetite and fast healing, and the inevitable Hugs!

ilive2craft2
July 10th, 2015, 09:55 PM
Continued prayers for both of you. Make sure to take some time for yourself - even if just a minute with your eyes closed. Caregiving is so hard.

grandma nurse
July 10th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Prayers that your husband will find relief shortly.

easyquilts
July 10th, 2015, 10:48 PM
Oh, gee... I'm so sorry your DH is in so much pain.... I wish he could take something stronger than Tylenol, which we all know is useless when Resl ps in is involved.... I hope he wil be feeling better tomorrow...