PDA

View Full Version : Eclectic tastes

sunnyQLDmum
October 19th, 2011, 09:56 AM
The best thing about us humans is that we all have our very own personality that makes us unique. For example I keep reptiles and enjoy sitting on the lounge with my python, I also love quilting and my favorite tv show is sons of anarchy. I live for my dogs, enjoy going hunting with my husband, and you can usually find me buried in a period romance novel. I am a very girly girl, but at the same time I can be a Tom boy.
What makes me think about this? I was watching the latest episode of my beloved sons of anarchy while stitching binding onto my Christmas placemats when my DH looked over at me, shook his head and told me that I was a very strange being.
Well now that I have thought about it I am glad that I am a "strange being" because "normal" would be boring.

meemeecyn
October 19th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Hey.....Sunny, just remind him "it takes one to know one!!!" haha. Besides, wouldn't this be a boring world if we were all the same?!? But I must say, sitting on the lounge with a snake? That takes courage.....but then I'm a scaredy-cat.
PS Your baby in your picture is beautiful. :)

sunnyQLDmum
October 19th, 2011, 10:08 AM
sitting on the lounge with a snake? That takes courage.....but then I'm a scaredy-cat.
PS Your baby in your picture is beautiful. :)

The snake is more cuddly than my DS! He loves watching tv in my lap. And thank you my Riley is beautiful, he is 7 months old today.

Sandy Navas
October 19th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I have a dead spider in an empty pill bottle setting on my table beside my sewing machine . . . does that count for being unique? How many other quilters can claim that? I also know for a fact that if you pick up a guinea pig by his tail that his eyeballs will fall out. Honest, Injun! I am a Jill of all Trades, master of none, raised on a farm and grew up barefooted. Have eaten strange foods around the world, the strangest being grilled sea cucumber (actually an animal), and stir-fried jelly fish among others. I'd drive out of my way for a good batch of mountain oysters . . . and I'm sitting here wasting time while trying to convince all my firm believers that I am weird and different.

Hugs!!

Loonwatcher
October 19th, 2011, 12:53 PM
:icon_heh::icon_heh:Oh Sandy...no convincing required.....hahahaha!

rebeccas-sewing
October 19th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Sandy, you're one of my favorite weirdos!!! I'm loved for my weirdness as well. My husband is super conservative, very much the straight arrow, an engineer. Opposites truly attract. He loves that I'm totally his opposite. There's definitely some kind of biological balance that comes into play with the choices people make when it comes to social interactions. There's no denying it!!!

Sandy Navas
October 19th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Rebecca, are you sure you aren't married to MY HUSBAND? You just described him to a "T".

rebeccas-sewing
October 19th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I'm sure Al and Joe would really hit it off! If Al likes beer he'd be Joe's best buddy.

InGodzHndz
October 19th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Sandy, do the eyeballs go back in when you put it down? This is a serious case for not getting a guinea pig for my kids...cuz we'd have a bunch of blind guinea pigs running around our house!

I consider myself quirky, though there are some people that I work with that call me a nerd or a dork. Kind of offensive, if you ask me! I randomly start singing some off the wall song...say something strange...the more mature girls that I work with just giggle WITH me, those that say I'm a dork...well, they are just not secure enough in who they are, right? lol

I quilt, I sew, I watch CSI/murder/Stargate type shows at the same time...I love the color orange, and *almost* bought myself a pair of orange running shoes for my birthday (today, the Big 4.0.!), but then I realized that they didn't look right and feel right.
And that would mean I'd have to start running, right?

I'm glad to meet others just as quirky as I am!

Divine Daisy
October 19th, 2011, 03:10 PM
ahhhhh Sandy and Rebecca. Sounds like me and Stewart too!

He is a software engineer and very logical and methodical........... me? I am neither of those things despite the rep of lawyers. I run about baarefoot except at work and even there i have been known to slip off the shoes when on my feet too long. I have to stand on a box in court (used to be a telephone book till my stepdad said that was NOT good enough and made me a box exactly the same height) I am an old hippy and have never changed really. As i am veryyyy rarely in court now being (mostly) retired i have handed my box over to my youngest daughter who followed in my footsteps and has the very same problem.

My nature shows in my quilting, i can be going along nicely pieceing a nice normal quilt when suddely............whooooooooosh i have a 'brilliant' idea and the quilt ends up with a supprise colour in it or a mad applique. Hey, makes life interesting eh?

tortugaquilter
October 19th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I am so glad to know all of this. Being new to the forum I thought everyone was "normal" and I would have to hold back. I am quirky in my ways. No dead spiders or pythons, I do have 5 musk turtles in a 75 gallon tank in my kitchen. They are really my youngest son's, but he lives on campus. The turtles howl like ghosts at night.

debinmalaga
October 19th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Sunny, I'm also a Sons of Anarchy fan, and my taste in music has never "matured", I listen to the same AC/DC and Led Zeppelin that I listened to 25 years ago, while I'm quilting. I'm glad to know I'm not the only odd duck in the gang :).

quilter.martha
October 19th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I quilt, I sew, I watch CSI/murder/Stargate type shows at the same time...I love the color orange, and *almost* bought myself a pair of orange running shoes for my birthday (today, the Big 4.0.!), but then I realized that they didn't look right and feel right.
And that would mean I'd have to start running, right?

I'm glad to meet others just as quirky as I am!

Happy 40th bday Christina! Hope you have a great day. I'm also a Stargate fan, and anything sci-fi!

middlesis1966
October 19th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Oh my goodness Im surprised my hubs and I have made it 22 years together. He is a total redneck and I would be covered in tats right now if it werent for him. Throw in the piercings as well. He still has a cow when I go get ink but he has chilled abit in his old age, lol. I only have 6 of them so he cant complain much. I still have plenty of room left for more and a lot more lifetime left with him so he will get use to it, maybe.
Sandy Im sorry I wont be able to do a sew date at your house anytime soon. I dont do spiders, lol. But if you ever get rid of him just let me know, lol!

Sandy Navas
October 19th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I'm sure Al and Joe would really hit it off! If Al likes beer he'd be Joe's best buddy.

One beer and Al starts snoring - guess they aren't even closely related!!

sunnyQLDmum
October 19th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Sunny, I'm also a Sons of Anarchy fan, and my taste in music has never "matured", I listen to the same AC/DC and Led Zeppelin that I listened to 25 years ago, while I'm quilting. I'm glad to know I'm not the only odd duck in the gang :).

Deb, do you find that the music you listen to influences the way your project turns out? I tend to listen to a lot of Blink 182, Creed, Metallica (also some AC/DC, usually when DH is home) etc. and find that my colour and pattern choices are braver than on days where I listen to Jack Johnson, Nora Jones, Matchbox 20 etc. when I find that I play it safe.
Also, did you see the latest episode of SOA, I think I am still in shock!!!!!!! ( I know Aus is only up to Season 2, but I cheat and download!!)

sunnyQLDmum
October 19th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I have a dead spider in an empty pill bottle setting on my table beside my sewing machine

AWESOME!!!!!

I also know for a fact that if you pick up a guinea pig by his tail that his eyeballs will fall out. Honest, Injun!

All I know about Guinea Pigs is that the pet shop seems to have a lot of them that "don't make it", and my biggest python Edgar loves them....

Sandy Navas
October 20th, 2011, 09:42 AM
DATELINE: Country Club Village, MO, October 20, 2011

GUINEA PIGS: Informed sources tell us that GUINEA PIGS do not have TAILS!!!

InGodzHndz
October 20th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Happy 40th bday Christina! Hope you have a great day. I'm also a Stargate fan, and anything sci-fi!

Thank you, Martha! I love all sy-fy stuff! And really irritated that my netflix instant viewing hasn't been working correctly...How else can I catch up on what the Wraith are doing to poor Atlantis?! Or even the Ori, when I can't get my connection going?!
I wonder if Psych is new...I think with my netflix out a bit, that I'm caught up on my Comcast "On Demand"...and wishing that I had a DVR in my craft room so that I could record sewing shows and any other shows that catch my fancy (sans commercials!!).

anyway. Still waiting on Sandy to tell us what happens to the guinea pig eyeballs!

Sandy Navas
October 20th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Still waiting on Sandy to tell us what happens to the guinea pig eyeballs!

Look above your last post . . . I told you already.

KiltedQuilter
October 21st, 2011, 10:15 AM
Sandy, why on EARTH would someone keep a DEAD spider? I guess it's better than a living one though, ick!

Its'a a good job we are not all the same as you said sunnyQLDmum, it would be a boring life indeed(there are some people who are VERY different to me that I could do without being involved with though)!

I am quite a girlie girl but am quite able to stand up for myself. I also listen to some music/watch some tv which others find surprising, well it's surprising as they have me pegged as a one dimensional "girlie girl". I like louder rock music than my big brother, so there you go.

Sandy Navas
October 21st, 2011, 11:06 AM
Okay, I guess I have to explain the spider - it is a twofold story. When I was young I used to love to knock down mud dobber (wasp) nests and check the different kinds of spiders. Strange, I know. But no one ever told me I was too normal.

Fast forward. Al was cleaning the patio area and moved a chair this summer. He came in the house and told me that when he grabbed the chair this spider had bit him. We were concerned that this could cause a bad reaction so I grabbed a pill bottle that I had in the sewing room (use them to put bent needles and parts in for disposal) and went out to track down the spider just in case. Well, no reaction, but we forgot about the spider and it is still in there. I just never got around to throwing it out. I don't get too alarmed if I see insects, bugs, spider, other ghastly things. After all, I'm bigger and scarier than they are . . .

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

KiltedQuilter
October 21st, 2011, 01:07 PM
I feel bad for the spider now
:icon_sniff:
kidding, I don't feel that badly! they STILL gross me out! :D

janluna
October 22nd, 2011, 01:42 AM
I love you Sandy! Is this the home for misfits or are we the normal ones? LOL I keep birds and dogs and we used to have pet rats. They lived in a condo Joe built out of a metal stand. We never had a mouse the whole time we had the two rats and a hamster. We found out one thing when we had these creatures and that is: Do not use cedar chips for your pets. It will poison them. We lost the hamster and one rat because of the cedar chips we used for their bedding. We went to the pet store and told them don't sell that stuff to small animal keepers cause it will kill rabbits, rats, hamsters and ferrets. They still sell it. Dumb people. My DD lost her rabbit to it also. Now we only have five birds and one dog.
Back to being strange. I never felt quite right around people when I was a kid. Now I like me cause I'm different. I became a fire fighter and a medic because I was different back when women didn't do that stuff. I ran knitting machines and sewed all my own clothes, people thought that was weird. Now I quilt and people say, "but you can buy a blanket so much cheaper." "Ah but not a special are they?" I say. Oh Jan You were always walking to the sound of a different drummer. If that's the case, I like the way he drums!
I feel like I'm home on this site. Thanks for being there sisters and brothers! I love you one and all. Hugs, Jan L.

KiltedQuilter
October 22nd, 2011, 04:44 AM
^hear hear Jan! we can ALL be "weird" together! :D

ps. Sandy you can see the writing under my last post right? :0

middlesis1966
October 22nd, 2011, 07:37 AM
Lol Jan I love you just the way you are. I love all you gals just the way you are! Yes Sandy even you the spider keeper, but the love does stop at the spider. Im just not feeling the love there.

Sandy Navas
October 22nd, 2011, 12:24 PM
You know what is really special? I woke up this morning (slept in late!!!!) thinking about how long it would take for me to get on-line and check in with my on-line friends. And then a warm glow came over me as I realized how close I feel to everyone here - even though I have never had the opportunity to meet each of you in person. But the sharing, caring, understanding and acceptance abounds and is greater than I even feel with people I have known for years. I thank God every day for each and every one of you!

By the way (BTW) I am really, truly WEIRD!!

KiltedQuilter
October 22nd, 2011, 04:53 PM
*punches Sandy in the arm
"aww shucks, I rather like you too":0