PDA

View Full Version : Cool Night Owl

kimsophia
July 9th, 2015, 02:25 AM
Hootie hoot to everyone who is awake! It is cool here in Iowa. Getting down to 55 degrees tonight and a high of 78 tomorrow. Is this is July in Iowa? I'm supposed to be dying of the heat and humidity, aren't I? I got out in the garden and did some weeding while my friend/kid mowed the lawn. I weed whipped the edges. We bought some mulch at Lowe's to spread on Friday. It was enjoyable. Weird.

No sewing yet today. I didn't wake up until 4 p.m. But in the morning before I went to bed, I made cinnamon bread! The swirl even turned out just like the picture in the cookbook. Purdy. :) Tonight I made spring rolls. I used some of the Thai basil plant I grew. I cut all the flower heads off so I hope it branches and fills out. It's still spindly.

What's your news? Hoot! :)

bubba
July 9th, 2015, 02:41 AM
It cooled off a lot here today too. I think it just broke 80. I know the tomato plants are loving it! They have grown over a foot in the past week and the tomatoes are finally popping out!

There are bad fires up in Canada and the smoke is working it's way down here. It's at least 100 miles or more where they are burning and then from me to Mt. Rainier is another 50. I can see the mountain most days quite clearly from our back deck, but because of all the smoke you can't see it at all! I don't know if it's my imagination or what, but I swear I can even smell it!

Poor MM has not been sleeping well because of the heat. Then again, neither am I, but I don't have to go out and work and have the luxury of taking naps! Best thing ever created next to retirement!!!!

I finished the diaper bag today, finally and tomorrow I'll make my sister a waterboy so she can take it with us to Sisters and I hope to get a pedicure and work on some NCW's!

RockinLou
July 9th, 2015, 02:59 AM
Hello!! I got the kids to bed around 9:30 and at 9:33 my husband and I headed out to a movie. (His mom was here to 'watch' the kids, but prefers them to be asleep. That works for this night owl.... Anyway saw a good movie: Far from the Madding Crowd, based on a Thomas Hardy novel, a late 1800s period drama set in England, so right up my ally!

I finished up DD's vest when I got home, she'll love it in the morning, I'm sure!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 9th, 2015, 03:09 AM
Hello!! I got the kids to bed around 9:30 and at 9:33 my husband and I headed out to a movie. (His mom was here to 'watch' the kids, but prefers them to be asleep. That works for this night owl.... Anyway saw a good movie: Far from the Madding Crowd, based on a Thomas Hardy novel, a late 1800s period drama set in England, so right up my ally!

I finished up DD's vest when I got home, she'll love it in the morning, I'm sure!
My friend and I saw that movie last week! Good movie!

sewlucky
July 9th, 2015, 03:12 AM
I didn't sew a stitch today. Had a migraine again this morning. Hubby and I went to see the Mad Max movie tonight. Enjoyed seeing strong female characters! We chatted about where to go on holidays, maybe South Dakota around the Black Hills.

Pat, I'm sure you can smell the fires if it's as hazy as you say. I can smell Saskatchewans fires here because the wind was just right today - or possibly the northern Alberta ones...either way, I could smell it.

Lou, what a great vest!!

Kimsophia, I hope you saved some cinnamon bread for us ;)

Terri

kimsophia
July 9th, 2015, 03:31 AM
ha ha...I sure did! Also if you get here quick there are some mighty fine spring rolls! with some burning hot peanut dipping sauce that'll make yer lips burn! ;D

toggpine
July 9th, 2015, 04:09 AM
It was cooler here today. No Pat, you aren't imagining things. The smoke has gotten worse today and there is a scent in the air.

I have house 'guests'. MIL & FIL. That's all I'm gonna say on that.

I also have a batch of cheese doing it's thang. It will be ready to drain in the morning. The Chevre is a mild, soft cheese. A little softer than cream cheese. Dried herbs (garlic, dill, basil, etc.) are very tasty mixed in.

I'm going to hit the hay, as we have an early AM. Hubby wants to take the family to the Olympia farmers market. Then we need to do the rest of the food shopping for the wedding. I could skip the market personally, as they aren't going to have what we need for the reception in the quantities we'd need, nor at the price we want to pay

Sunday is coming, and this will all be a memory. Hopefully not a nightmare.

Lightwriter
July 9th, 2015, 04:10 AM
Weather steaming up here again...90's plus heat index. Hope we will have a little breeze so mowing won't be miserable. I couldn't manage without riding mowers as we have a lot to mow.

Had a doctor's appointment yesterday and afterwards ventured out to check out a quilt shop I had heard of. This one is 60 miles from home, one of the closer ones. Got the row by row and spotted a used embroidery machine for decent money. If I had not had all the tooth drama (which got to be really expensive with the oral surgery) I would have brought it home.

Got home and canned green beans DH had picked while I was gone. Sewed a bit on the zipper top. Maybe I can squeeze in a few more stitches today.

Terri, I extend my greatest empathy to you on migraines. I have had them since I was 8 and they are not fun. Been through multiple neurologists over the years and tried a laundry list of meds. I take magnesium and that helps a little on the frequency, but can't take many of the meds due to side effects. I take what I can for pain and just deal with the rest. Ugh.

Good luck on the wedding Toggpine. DD's turned out well but was a stressful time for us. Too much work poured into 3 days...and we had most of the workload due to her living away but getting married here. I still wake up some nights and am so glad we don't have to do it again!

Who else is fluttering around forest tonight?

rebeccas-sewing
July 9th, 2015, 04:40 AM
The homeowners are stopping by to see us Saturday a.m. while they are in the Netherlands. Probably checking to make sure we haven't trashed their house. hahaha I've been cleaning and preparing for their visit so no sewing for me until they leave. Mainly because the thread gets tracked and I don't want to keep vacuuming. Yard cleanup today. Hope it doesn't rain again.

Andrea F
July 9th, 2015, 05:07 AM
Good morning night owls! It has cooled down here a lot, too. I'm so grateful for that. I don't sleep well when it's so hot either. The rain, I don't care for. It can go away.

It's going to be a long but supposedly quiet work day. After work, all my colleagues and I are going out for dinner together to "celebrate" the almost-end of the semester. I'll be home pretty late but then my weekend starts. Dinner will be at a Vienamese place. I might have some spring rolls too, but I don't eat what makes my lips burn ;) The peanut sauce isn't hot and spicy here, at least not at my favourite Chinese restaurant, which is good because I really love peanut sauce.

Sorry about the migraines, Terri and Connie! I have them too and they're no fun at all. Getting enough sleep, drinking lots of water and having not so much stress helps with mine to keep the frequency low.

Sleep tight and have a wonderful day tomorrow!

bubba
July 9th, 2015, 05:22 AM
News report said it's supposed to be 90 again tomorrow. MM heard it is supposed to rain Monday. At least that might clear this smoke out of here. I'm sure it will make it nice and muggy too!

sewlucky
July 9th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Thanks Connie and Andrea! I've had migraines since I was a little girl too. I can remember my earliest one being around 5 yrs old. I had them terrible in my teens and it seems they are back. I suspect menopause is the culprit, though I had a hysterectomy and one ovary removed 3 yrs ago it doesn't mean that one ovary isn't pumping out a lot of hormones to make me crazy! lol I have done well controlling them for many years with just ibuprofen and the normal things as Andrea says - good sleep, water and stress management. When I had my hysterectomy I had a bad reaction to the Naproxen they gave me for pain, and I had a reaction to Tordol in the past, and then this last year or so I've been having hives with ibuprofen and dr said absolutely no more NSAIDS for me. Of course NSAIDS were my best line of defence against headaches! Now I'm on a preventive migraine med and one to stop a migraine in progress. They are working pretty well, even though I'm having 12-14 headaches a month. I don't know that the number has really changed over the last year or two, just I can count them because I only get 12 pills to stop the headache in a prescription and I use them all by the end of the month! My family dr also referred me to a neurologist who specializes in migraine and I see him in September. I feel fortunate that my migraines only rarely escalate to the nausea and vomiting stage.

So many people have migraines!

Terri

bubba
July 9th, 2015, 03:06 PM
I used to get several migraines a day. Then I read, years ago, that eating popcorn everyday helps stop them. So, I started having popcorn for breakfast. Imagine how pleased I was when within a couple months my migraines stopped!!! When I was still working, I'd have one of the snack size microwave bags everyday.....fiber and headache preventer in one! I still try to make it a few nights a week, and I can notice the difference when I don't. I get right to the edge of the pain, but normally am able to stop it.