PDA

View Full Version : looking for a way to label all my pieces

mandylifeboats
July 8th, 2015, 09:44 PM
some of my blocks have lots of pieces and I need a way to label them until i am ready to use them. i made my own on my computer A thru Z and 0 thru 9 but they blow away. i thought about adhering some fabric to batting with a fusible and mark the labels with a sharpie but i haven't yet, cuz i am waiting for you to offer your version of those labels.

jjkaiser
July 8th, 2015, 10:28 PM
I don't label the actual pieces. I have a card table set up iny sewing room. I use the inside (blank) part of cereal boxes cut to about 4" folded in half and label those so they stand up (fold on top, kind of like a tent) Let's say you havecut pieces A-F I label each cardboard "tent" and then lay the pieces out in vertical rows in front of each label.

I also have a plastic picture frame where I lay out a single, sample block in rows, label each piece but not sew pieces together, so at a glance I can see what goes where. It is actually not a pic frame but a plastic8.5 x 11" holder made for holding up a sign on a desk, so to put the quilt pieces inside it you just lay it down and raise the top with your finger enuf to slide pieces in
It's really handy or you could just tape your pieces down to a piece of cardboard or colored paper.. I try to make my sample blocks out of black and white fabric only so I can easily see what part should be dark and what light. It's not a very sophisticated method but works for me. I am anxious to see if anybody has any cooler ideas to try. Good post tho!!

bubba
July 8th, 2015, 10:31 PM
I paper clip them onto the pieces so they can't blow away. Learned that the hard way!

Dollyquilts
July 8th, 2015, 10:40 PM
They have bulldog clips at Office Depot/Office Max with blank appendages on them where you can write with a dry erase marker.

buckeyequilter
July 8th, 2015, 10:40 PM
I write the label on paper and use wonder clips on them.

Sylvia H
July 8th, 2015, 10:43 PM
I am finishing a quilt that had 10 different blocks. Some were "one of a kind", others had duplicates of the same block. I put the cut pieces into baggies and labeled the baggies. I did not label each different sized piece. I still had to recheck them as I was piecing the blocks. But it worked for me.

bubba
July 8th, 2015, 10:44 PM
They also sell pins that have numbers or letters on them, but they are really expensive. I read somewhere if you take the flower head pins and use a sharpie, you can write on them to keep the pieces straight. I bought the pins, but misplaces them before I ever wrote on them!!! Woe is me.....

Claire Hallman
July 8th, 2015, 11:42 PM
I just had to label the 15 - 16 fabrics for the Craftsy BOM and I used post it notes but I added a straight pin for safety.

quiltsRfun
July 9th, 2015, 12:28 AM
Just note paper and straight or safety pins when I need to label something, such as Bargello strips. When laying out blocks I arrange each block on a piece of card stock (leftover from my scrap booking days) then stack them up. I create a whole pile of these and leave by the sewing machine so they're ready to sew if I have a few minutes. A word of warning, though. Clip the layers together with binder clips when you're not working on them. Learned this the hard way when I accidentally knocked a stack off the table.

Claire Hallman
July 9th, 2015, 12:51 AM
If you are sewing block segments together and need a way to keep them laid out here is an idea.
A friend made me two folders. The inside is two pieces of cardboard covered with flannel on the inside and regular cotton on the outside. The fabrics are sewn together pillowcase style so it opens like a book. I can lay a block out [stacks of block segments], they stay on the flannel and I can close it and take it wherever I want. The larger one is about the size of a large pizza box and the smaller one is about 12" square. The have button/[ponytail elastic closures. I use them all the time.

TMP
July 9th, 2015, 01:34 AM
A while back, I believe on this forum someone (sorry I don't remember who) posted that they used those plastic tab things that you wind embroidery thread on. They write numbers or letters whatever on them and stick a safety pin in the hole and attach to fabric. ( they are inexpensive to) . I use this method all the time.

BillNye
July 9th, 2015, 01:52 AM
you could probably buy some stickers and do this to flower pins for cheaper, but mom uses these - https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/detail/27554/marilees-numbered-pins/-/marilees-numbered-q-pins

Kgrammiecaz
July 9th, 2015, 02:01 AM
you could probably buy some stickers and do this to flower pins for cheaper, but mom uses these - https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/detail/27554/marilees-numbered-pins/-/marilees-numbered-q-pins

Wouldnt it be great if they were the daily deal someday soon. Wink wink.

snippet
July 9th, 2015, 02:22 AM
I use zip lock baggies. I have about 10 that I use over and over again. Each is labeled 1 through 10 and also A through J. I cut my pieces and put them in the baggie until I need them. They stay flat, clean and dry. Works for me.

rebeccas-sewing
July 9th, 2015, 05:09 AM
I plan to do the sharpie on the flower head pins and just ordered some of those pins. A lot cheaper than the ones I've been seeing online lately. $25 seems excessive to me. What I usually do is cut up a bunch of little squares of paper and write on them. I use a straight pin to hold them on. Store them in a baggie for future use. I like the idea of using Wonder Clips to hold them in place. I sure do love those clips. I finally started using them to hold down the binding for hand sewing since I always end up sticking myself. No more pin pricks. I clip down one side of the quilt at a time.

I am also wondering if a label maker makes small enough letters and numbers to fit on those flower head pins. I saw a set of them on Joann.com that I think were $1.99 per package and there were plenty of pins in it. Certainly enough for this idea.

Momofmonsters5
July 9th, 2015, 09:04 AM
If I'm understanding correctly I've had to label pieces for one quilt... It's a dog quilt that is pieced and each dog has about 42 pieces so I mark them according to the pattern on the backside of every piece with a pencil.

Claire Hallman
July 9th, 2015, 11:46 AM
I saw a friend making a log cabin and she put all her cuts into a silverware drawer organizer tray. I thought that was pretty clever.

Wow, 42 pieces in a block, my hat is off to you.:icon_wave:

jjkaiser
July 9th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Lori Holt of Bee in My Bonnet uses something called alphabitties, the are tiny alphabet things but idk if they are pins or stickers? I don't have them. They might sell them thru fat quarter shop. I go on that site almost daily, you'd think I'd remember to look that up sometime. Butno I am always looking at the flash sales. Like the idea of using silverware drawer!

Deegles
July 9th, 2015, 06:35 PM
I have been saving my white plastic bread ties for an occasion like this. I have many. Would they be big enough for your labels? If they would I can send them your way. PM me and let me know.

Catmom5
July 9th, 2015, 08:52 PM
Claire - could you post a picture? Sounds great to me.

mandylifeboats
July 10th, 2015, 10:26 PM
i was thinking missouri quilt co. would offer their version of the alphabitties.

mandylifeboats
July 11th, 2015, 10:10 PM
went to a stitching lounge today and one of the girls was using the avery labels from an office supply store. problem solved. she said they discount the ugly colors. 1000 per pkg at $7.00. she writes A thru Z and 0 thru 9 on them with a sharpie marker. uses em til the stickiness wears off.

rebeccas-sewing
July 12th, 2015, 06:31 AM
I might print out the alphabet and numbers on the computer, laminate and then cut them out with the rotary cutter. Using a single-whole paper punch to place a hole at the top and a quilting saftey pin to attach them should work. The time and cost to make them would be minimal. That way they can be used over and over again and last, for what I imagine to be, a very long time. If marking the flat-head pins doesn't work that's my next plan. I think that's basically what those alpha-bitties are that the gal at Fat Quarter Shop uses in her videos.

mandylifeboats
July 12th, 2015, 11:45 PM
the alphabitties are plastic. this gal at stitching lounge had labeled hers with those round stickies and used tiny binder clips to hold all the pieces together.