PDA

View Full Version : medical question

Live to Quilt
July 8th, 2015, 12:24 PM
I was just wondering if anyone hear has had or know of someone who has had a pain pump put in?
Looking for someone with experiance with having one.
Thanks
Jean Anne

bubba
July 8th, 2015, 12:41 PM
I have never had a pain pump that was under my skin, but I did wear a TENS unit for several years. It is an external unit that sends pulsations to nerve ends to block the pain so you don't need to depend on drugs. It worked well.

nayzie
July 8th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Mother has used a TENS unit for 20 years, it works great but it does dry out your hair. Brother had a pain pump it had a hand held button to press for drugs to be administered, his would dispense every 15 minutes. It was delivered to his port. The medicine was in a bag inside a locked box, his nurse would refill as needed. Sending love and best wishes.

Altairss
July 8th, 2015, 01:15 PM
My Dad had one in his back. It took him awhile to get used to it but then he liked it. He said it felt like a bump under the skin and I noticed he worried at it a first. It was one of the early models though he had it till he passed and it brought him a lot of relief.

bubba
July 8th, 2015, 01:27 PM
I never had a problem with my TENS doing anything to my hair. I don't like taking drugs for pain as they make me sick. I don't think I'd like and implant that used them. Good luck with you on your choice.

Live to Quilt
July 8th, 2015, 03:00 PM
thanks guys. i already tried the pain stimulator, no thank you. I just started having problems with oral pain meds, (which I hate taking and usually don't) Guess this is my last option. But if putting in lead for trial is anything like trial for stimulator I'm in big trouble.

thanks for any and all info
Jean Anne

sewlucky
July 8th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Jean Anne, I hope the pain pump works. Chronic pain is a terrible thing.

Terri

Kgrammiecaz
July 8th, 2015, 03:26 PM
I have never had a pain pump, but I do have a pain patch 24x7. Butran. Works for me. However, I also take tramadol a couple times a day. I need to ask my pain management physician about these other things.

Live to Quilt
July 8th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Karen, I tried tramadol and it was like taking candy then made me itch. did pain patch that you wear a week at a time.
it just made me tired. The pump takes smaller dose of meds as it puts right at spine. That is where I need it.
Waiting to hear from pain Dr for appt. Probably won't get in until Aug sometime.

Jean Anne

bubba
July 8th, 2015, 05:15 PM
When I take just one Tramadol, I sleep for about 15 hours!!! If I take one, I only take half, but it still makes me sleep about ten hours.

Snip Snip
July 8th, 2015, 06:05 PM
I think the effect of tramadol lessens over time. When I first started taking it, I lost about 20 pounds. I never took over the prescribed amount, but it did sort of give me a pleasant buzz. After the nausea subsided.
Pain is such an odd thing. You can have intense pain when there is no clear reason for it. One book I read said that after you have had pain for a while, even after the original injury heals, the pain pathway is there, and your body automatically feels pain. Geeze!

snippet
July 8th, 2015, 06:16 PM
A friend in my Needlecrafter group at church just had a pain pump trial over a weekend and loved it. It was only for pain below the waist I believe. She said she could still feel hot cold and the like, just no pain. She's hoping to get approval to have it put in permanently. I found her post on facebook about it.... it was a neurostimmulator trial. I hope that is the same as a pain pump.

JCY
July 8th, 2015, 06:26 PM
I've known of 2 people who had pain pumps. One woman was in a wheelchair for a long time. With the embedded pain pump, she finally was able to be mobile & did well. The other lady had cancer & was with hospice care. She had a morphine pump, but I don't know if it was an embedded unit. Pain pumps can certainly make one's life more tolerable. I don't know your situation, but if you think it will work for you, go for it.