PDA

View Full Version : Fair update

Hulamoon
July 7th, 2015, 12:36 AM
From the other thread about entering in fairs I decided to enter some things. After 3 emails and 3 phone calls about dates I got a call. Seems last year they dropped all arts and crafts, foods like cakes, pies, jams etc. It's only produce.

She said lot's of people are calling and upset. It's a damm island people, make some room for us that don't raise cows!

Carrie J
July 7th, 2015, 12:53 AM
Wow Lorie, they dropped "Arts and Crafts" at a Fair?!?!? Unbelievable! So sorry!

Kgrammiecaz
July 7th, 2015, 01:02 AM
Seriously what a crazy decision. Start a petition, maybe you can get interest back.

sewlucky
July 7th, 2015, 01:11 AM
How disappointing is that? :(

Terri

easyquilts
July 7th, 2015, 01:14 AM
Wow, Lotie.... That's hard to believe..... A fair without arts and crafts? No way.....

Hulamoon
July 7th, 2015, 01:15 AM
I know! All the kids and and seniors. It totally sucks!

Vonnie
July 7th, 2015, 06:32 AM
That's just not right!

Blondie
July 7th, 2015, 08:23 AM
Lorie, this stinks.
I would find others of like mind and think seriously of holding a different fair at a different venue in the future. How totally irrational. Why call it a fair when it should be considered a produce market?

Bubby
July 7th, 2015, 08:25 AM
Wow...that's really too bad. Some of the most gorgeous quilts I've ever seen are appliqued Hawaiian quilts. Sorry, Lorie.

Midge
July 7th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Wow, Lorie, that's a bit of a shock. Is it even a real fair without arts and crafts? So has it devolved to a produce sale? Do they show animals still or is that gone too? I always loved the tradition of the fair because it was something the whole family could participate in, each from their own skill set. Guess the folks where you are don't see that tradition as valuable.

tnmtgrl
July 7th, 2015, 08:39 AM
How can you have a fair without arts and crafts.....that's just crazy!!

Hulamoon
July 7th, 2015, 08:43 AM
My step dd's mil and husband have been entering for years their bonsai trees. I'm going to see if she has any insight on why this happened. They are leaving a big part of the community out. I guess I better switch to growing the biggest papaya I can.

Hulamoon
July 7th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Wow, Lorie, that's a bit of a shock. Is it even a real fair without arts and crafts? So has it devolved to a produce sale? Do they show animals still or is that gone too? I always loved the tradition of the fair because it was something the whole family could participate in, each from their own skill set. Guess the folks where you are don't see that tradition as valuable.

They don't sell produce just judge them. So like I said bigger is better. I get that though. They have a petting zoo and lot's of tractors and farm suppples. Lot's of vendors that sell things like hot tubs, phones etc. It's like one big buy me tent.

It's totally lost it's charm.

They do have a gorgeous orchid show though.

Hulamoon
July 8th, 2015, 03:36 AM
I found out the reason,

Bonsai,orchids, fruits and veggies,animals are all associations or clubs. The art's, crafts, food is all individual and the they don't have volunteers for those catagories to help organize.

So there it is.

snippet
July 8th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Well that's crazy. They are leaving out a BIG part of a fair.

I went to a farmer's market the other day and I was really disappointed. There was ONE guy there selling his produce - the rest was all jellies and jams and soaps and other things made from produce. To me they had too much premade stuff and not enough real produce.

Attention people. If you use a name - fair or farmer's market - make sure that you include the subject of the name!

Hulamoon
July 8th, 2015, 07:31 PM
You know what's funny.At one of our farmers markets set up at a park down the hill, there is the islands produce import company. I mean you can literally walk across the street. One of my dd's worked in the office one summer. There is talk that people just buy there and resell. I can kind of tell because I was in the hotel industry for so long.

We shall see if enough complaints come in about the fair. I'll give an update if I ever hear.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 8th, 2015, 08:31 PM
Lorie! What a bummer! Especially when you were all ready to enter! We were looking forward to seeing your ribbons.

I mentioned already in the other thread that our county fair doesn't have arts & crafts either -- just livestock and curing hams. So it's the state fair or nothing for me. I don't know when they stopped doing arts & crafts but it's been a while and it's a real shame.