PDA

View Full Version : Area unavailablecalls

Hulamoon
July 6th, 2015, 10:12 PM
I have the feature on my TV where it shows who's calling. I don't answer most of them. But I have been getting unavailable calls a lot and they just hang up. Is there some reason for that, like checking when I'm home or somthing?

I'm not going to answer anymore. I was waiting for a call and it's totally bugging me!

MRoy
July 6th, 2015, 10:16 PM
DH got 7 calls in less than 30 minutes today from area code 239. Checked the number on the internet and there are lots of complaints of prank calls.

Pandabear
July 6th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Telemarketers. If you don't pick up they don't leave a message.

FabStripper
July 6th, 2015, 10:20 PM
I don't answer them unless it says the name because I put them in my adress book. I think those calls you are getting is trying to get a number to connect and I don't know what they do. I always wonder if its prisoners trying to use my minutes. Lol. My friend and I just say we got another call from a prisoner or we got 8 calls from prisoners. I am not being mean but read about that happening.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 6th, 2015, 10:49 PM
I have the feature on my TV where it shows who's calling. I don't answer most of them. But I have been getting unavailable calls a lot and they just hang up. Is there some reason for that, like checking when I'm home or somthing?

I'm not going to answer anymore. I was waiting for a call and it's totally bugging me!

Often telemarketers will make multiple calls at once & then if they get someone on the line hang up on everyone else. Does Hawaii have a do-not-call list? In MO you can sign up for it online & it reduces nuisance calls quite a bit.

bubba
July 6th, 2015, 10:56 PM
The Do Not Call List is nationwide. It is good for, I think three years, then you have to reregister. I just did it again last week. House phone and both our cells. I told him to cancel the house phone since I no longer need it for work, but gee, we have had it over 30 years, the same number. Are you sure you want to?????

Hulamoon
July 6th, 2015, 11:04 PM
I signed up for that list but it was a long time ago. I did't know there was a time limit. It doesn't stop local calls for people looking for money to sponser soccer teams to go off island. grrr

Snip Snip
July 7th, 2015, 12:13 AM
Even if you are on the no-call list, lots of companies are exempt. Anyone you have ever done business with can still call you, like credit card offers, etc.

quiltingtrish
July 7th, 2015, 12:20 AM
Pat - we cancelled our home phone a year ago that we've had for 20 years and I actually enjoy the quiet. I don't even have to listen to the annoying message machine after work everyday.

Hulamoon
July 7th, 2015, 12:23 AM
Telemarketers. If you don't pick up they don't leave a message.

But I pick up and say hello and they hang up?

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 7th, 2015, 12:35 AM
But I pick up and say hello and they hang up?

Right. See my explanation above! I guess in addition to the national list, MO has its own.

We haven't cancelled the landline but we have turned off the ringer. Much more peaceful.

Lightwriter
July 7th, 2015, 03:05 AM
The computer is supposed to talk to you, but it takes a minute or so to connect, leaving you with an open silent line. I hang up immediately when I get the calls, knowing they will just be nuisance stuff. I swear being on the do not call list did not help. I joke when my husband asks who it was, I say the ghost called again. I wish all the ghosts would lose my number!

redcaboose1717
July 7th, 2015, 03:32 AM
You just never know.....what's on the minds of people. It could be a prank call, or maybe someone is checking to see if you are home....
For the most part I don't answer my phone either any more, I let the answering machine pick up the calls, and then I call the person who called me back, even though I have caller ID and the same feature on my TV's that you have as well.

With all the technology there is nowadays you would hardly think that people would make prank calls now....but they do, I suppose. I remember yrs ago when my son was 17-18 a girl kept calling our home at all hours of the day and night. One day she called the house ( and then would hang up as soon as someone answered the phone ) 231 times ! After that, I called the phone company and was told at the time that even ONE harassing phone call per day is too much. They put a trap on the phone and found out who it was that was doing it ( we didn't have caller ID on the phones at that time ( it was a separate charge on the phone bill) and when they found out how many times the girl was doing this, the police got involved and paid the girl and her parents a little visit, telling them that if the phone calls didn't stop, the phone could possibly be removed from their home. We thought the girl would stop then.....she didn't ! She no longer made calls, but left dead red roses in our driveway twice and finally a black dress with a message scribbled on it threatening the entire family!!! OF course the police were really interested then...but because the girl didn't have a record at all, she was given probation !

Lorie ...be careful.....When all these things happened to us, we let our neighbors know what was going on just to have a second pair of eyes in the neighborhood, although the girl did stop the things she was doing and we were never bothered again.

Oh....BTW....today I was waiting for a call from my Dr. ( who practices out of an outpatient clinic at a major hospital here in Michigan ) and when the call came on the caller ID, I picked up the phone and heard nothing for at least 30-40 seconds. I didn't hang up because I knew the call was important, but it did take a few seconds for that call to connect. Maybe it's the phone ( we have a Comcast Landline ) ...not sure. I have considered getting rid of the Landline as I really don't use it that much.

rebeccas-sewing
July 7th, 2015, 03:51 AM
My husband would get really upset when a call came through that shouldn't. He would tell them we're on the "do not call list" and if they call again he'll report them. They would hang up pronto. We aren't bothered with solicitation over here in the Netherlands. However, we have a U.S. phone hooked up as well over the internet so we can call family and they can call us at no charge. THAT line often shows such calls have come through. Since we're nine hours ahead of you we don't hear that phone. It's in the living room and we're upstairs sleeping. Nine times out of ten when I check that phone there's been a call where no message has been left.

Hulamoon
July 7th, 2015, 04:30 AM
Oh my Jacqueline how creepy.I hear a hang up click on these. Very strange. I need a land line because I live in a valley and cells don't work very well. I don't own one anyway. I think I better get a pay as you go one though. I'm worried about my car and getting stuck.

I'm going to look for that number and see if it works this tme.

Hulamoon
July 7th, 2015, 04:59 AM
okay I just signed up. Crossing fingers it's just a stupid candidate.

irishrn
July 7th, 2015, 09:43 AM
I have daily calls from the annoying no name people. I look the number up on line and usually it's an annoyance call. Despite do not call for NC and national it hasn't helped. I really want to yank that phone out but DH can't hear on the cell and finds a cell too confusing, so for now it stays. Only answer for family and expected calls from someone I know!
The other day I got a call and the caller ID was my name and phone number. Still didn't answer it!!

MRoy
July 7th, 2015, 09:54 AM
We have our house phone and our cell phones registered on the Nationwide Do Not Call list but we still get unwanted calls.

Granny Fran
July 7th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Even if you are on the no-call list, lots of companies are exempt. Anyone you have ever done business with can still call you, like credit card offers, etc.

So true, but get this: When they tell me they are exempt, I tell them if I tell you not to call me....Don't call me. They don't like it, but I tell them it's my phone and I don't want their calls. Usually works.

Kim T
July 7th, 2015, 10:37 AM
The Do Not Call List is nationwide. It is good for, I think three years, then you have to reregister. I just did it again last week. House phone and both our cells. I told him to cancel the house phone since I no longer need it for work, but gee, we have had it over 30 years, the same number. Are you sure you want to?????

We weren't sure if we wanted to give our number up either and just go to cell phones as coverage in our area can be spotty. We had the option to "hold" our number and we pay $5 a month to keep it until we are sure. If we want to reactivate into a working number we can. Don't know if you have this option with your phone company.

FabStripper
July 7th, 2015, 11:46 PM
The do not call list isn't immediate. If a company has your number in the data base for them to call you get called until the do not call list gets updated for them I think. I sign up at least one time every year because i still get the calls. Theres a new robocall number or website that a friend was just talking about but she didn't think it works for all phones or something like that.

Hulamoon
July 8th, 2015, 12:12 AM
The do not call list isn't immediate. If a company has your number in the data base for them to call you get called until the do not call list gets updated for them I think. I sign up at least one time every year because i still get the calls. Theres a new robocall number or website that a friend was just talking about but she didn't think it works for all phones or something like that.

I already got three today. At least we don't have to pay for it!