PDA

View Full Version : BRAIN TEASE. What's my best cut? Math help needed!

New York Sue
July 5th, 2015, 08:50 AM
I'm freezing up on a small sewing project, and I could use some help. I have a cotton upholstery fabric (strong geometric pattern) that is 54" wide and 108" long. From this fabric, I'd like to make two standard sized pillow shams (25X18) with a 2" flange, and a 1/2" seam allowance.
But I also would like to make a 48X16 bed runner, and have enough leftover to cover a padded seat cover chair. Dimensions 30X27. (overhang allowance included)
I am not opposed to using backing fabric on the shams and runner. Also, any recommendations on a pliable interfacing on the runner?
Sorry guys, no quilting.... But I sure hope you've had your morning coffee!
I'm 'buggered up' on this one! Do I have enough fabric??

New York Sue
July 5th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Crap. A few views, no responses.... :(
I'm off to bed after working all night, so if you come up with a 'game plan', I will be so thankful!
But I may not get back soon..... Sleep, then busy day ahead.
;)

Bubby
July 5th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Just split your fabric in half lengthwise and you will end up with two strips 27x108. You can cut both shams and the runner OR the bench cover from one strip and the remaining item from the second strip and the print can run the same on every item. I had an alternate idea but I think this will work better for you and it's easier. Be careful with your cuts because you will need every bit of the 54"width...measure twice cut once sort of thing. HUGS

Hulamoon
July 5th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Sue I was one that peeked in, but it was way to early to think about math. Glad you got some help :)

Lori63
July 5th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Glad Barb was able to help. I think my brain is wired so it can't do math!!! At least that's my excuse.

Claire Hallman
July 5th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Don't worry if the sham is a bit smaller than your dimensions as it will make the sham tight and therefore the flange will stand up better.

New York Sue
July 5th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Just split your fabric in half lengthwise and you will end up with two strips 27x108. You can cut both shams and the runner OR the bench cover from one strip and the remaining item from the second strip and the print can run the same on every item. I had an alternate idea but I think this will work better for you and it's easier. Be careful with your cuts because you will need every bit of the 54"width...measure twice cut once sort of thing. HUGS

Thanks, Bubby!
I was thinking this was the best approach, but needed a little validation!
Hopefully, all cuts go according to plan... ;)

FabStripper
July 5th, 2015, 11:56 PM
But you won't get the 2 inch flange if you cut the fabric in half length wise will you? Won't you need 4 inches of fabric to fold that and add the seam allowance to that number to make it 5 inches?