PDA

View Full Version : Copperheads

Pandabear
July 3rd, 2015, 06:37 PM
My oldest dog Max is five. We've had him most of his life. For those 5 years when he's seen a snake he's barked and backed away.

Today our two year old lab Tiberius found a copperhead. Max rushed in and took the bite for his baby doggie brother. Poor Max got bit on the lower lip and the underside of his tongue.

He's an unhappy camper right now, and I have to watch him tonight to make sure his tongue doesn't swell. My poor baby.

shirleyknot
July 3rd, 2015, 06:50 PM
What a brave boy! Hope he has no complications.

bubba
July 3rd, 2015, 07:02 PM
He's a good dog, but I would have run the other way and then dropped dead!

Granny Fran
July 3rd, 2015, 08:16 PM
Poor fur baby :(

What a hero. What breed is he?

Sending healing thoughts for his recovery.

Midge
July 3rd, 2015, 08:48 PM
Max is a true hero to you all. Hope he has a cozy quilt to rest on tonight. Sending healing thoughts...

KPH
July 3rd, 2015, 08:54 PM
Healing thoughts for a brave pup

bhaggerty
July 3rd, 2015, 09:23 PM
Hate copperheads! There's an old thread about them!113306
Here is one that was on our front porch several years back.
Just so people know what they look like and stay away!!

Pandabear
July 3rd, 2015, 09:54 PM
This is the third snake bite in four years for our dogs to have been bitten. We have lots of trees and with all the rain we've been having the snakes ground cover has been washing away. So I wouldn't be surprised if we see more this summer.

Max is a lab/hound mix. My other two dogs are labs. So far Max seems to be doing well. He was able to eat a small bit of food. Later I have to try and get a bunch of pills down his throat. I'll be sleeping with poor baby by my side tonight. Hopfully he won't snore too loud.

Kgrammiecaz
July 4th, 2015, 01:06 AM
Oh my poor thing. He is gonna need lots of hugs which I am sure he is getting. Ouch is all I can say.

Simply Quilting
July 4th, 2015, 02:21 AM
What a brave dog.

mommamarsh
July 4th, 2015, 04:42 AM
Sending healing and "Good Boy" thoughts his way . After copperheads bit 2 of our horses , my best mare and a baby, it has been open season for them here. Both recovered but the swelling was awful ! Black snakes and garter snakes get a pass . Hope you both are doing better soon.

Bubby
July 4th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Oh, No....I'm so sorry to hear this...poor baby. I hope he recovers quickly but it may require a trip to the vet. ((HUGS for Max from Dottie & Olive)).

easyquilts
July 4th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Do you have an antidote? Poor, brave baby...

CarolynK
July 4th, 2015, 09:51 AM
I hope Max is doing better. My three tend to leave snakes alone - but only from their past experience. They've all been bitten by a snake and tend to respect them now thank goodness. They seem to be more abundant here too this year.

Pandabear
July 4th, 2015, 10:43 AM
He did decently last night. We had taken him to the vet after the bite. We've been through this with our chocolate lab twice so we know the drill. Last night we found that the snake got him in the neck skin as well as his tongue. So far no breathing issues, just pain and itchiness. And not wanting to go outside to pee on the grass.

My family is here visiting for the week so he is getting lots of extra hugs.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and good thoughts. This is the only part of summer I dislike because I know we are going to have snakes.

songbird857
July 4th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Good boy... good boy :)
When he is feeling better, give him a steak ;)

alliek
July 4th, 2015, 01:10 PM
What a Heart! Many prayers for his recovery.

Dollyquilts
July 4th, 2015, 01:23 PM
My springer spaniel mix Rocky got to the point that he would bark furiously at a snake, but when I went to dispatch it, he would attack the snake and run with it. The last time he had a bad encounter and a copperhead bit him on the side of his tongue. He swelled pitifully. The bad part was that he drooled excessively and the odor was terrible. He actually had part of his tongue die even though he was on steroids and antibiotics. The good thing is that he never messed with snakes after that.

When I lived in the country, I stepped right over copperheads countless times. Did you know that when that happens, you can actually levitate? My ex said that I made a sound like a wounded duck.

I had a stray that had seven puppies in my barn. One of the pups was bitten in the eye by a copperhead. It turned that milky whitish color for a while. We medicated him with steroids and antibiotic ointment in the eye. I put DMSO around the eye to take the antibiotic into the eye itself. Eventually the normal color returned and he had vision in that eye. I was really amazed at how well he healed. I am not a fan of copperheads.

Hope your baby feels better soon. If you live in the country, maybe you should get some guineas. They will keep the snakes at bay and they are amazing watchdogs.

rebeccas-sewing
July 4th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Poor guy especially when he was aiming to be a super hero! Copperheads are poisonous. Did you take him to the vet?

Pandabear
July 5th, 2015, 12:04 AM
Poor guy especially when he was aiming to be a super hero! Copperheads are poisonous. Did you take him to the vet?

Yes. As soon as it happened we rushed him to the vet. It's the third snakebite we've dealt with between 2 dogs in 4 years. It's the first time we could go to our vet and not the emergency clinic though. So Max, an anxious dog to begin with, got to be treated by a vet he knew.

It's just lots of meds now for pain, inflammation and antibiotics.

Ahamblin
July 5th, 2015, 01:02 AM
My Dobe hated snakes and would attack and kill them (garter snakes here). We are lucky that we don't have poisinous snakes here or at our cottage. I had decided to do snake avoidance training with him but lost him before I could. A lot of hunting, sporting, working and Search and Rescue groups offer this training. If I lived in an area with poisinous snakes I would definitely do that. Prayers that Max heals quickly.