PDA

View Full Version : Friday - reason to smile

Blondie
July 3rd, 2015, 07:45 AM

Happy Friday Folksies!

It's gonna be the 4th of July tomorrow! fireworks, food, family, friends - hey there's four really fabulous words there! I am still unsure of what our plans will be but like I said, I do fly so well by the seat of my britches and generally land in a big pile of happiness no matter what. I just know that fireworks, food, friends and family will be involved. Cousins have been ringing me up all week - a few of my sweetest friends as well. I told Luscious I am in the mood to party hop, like a progressive BBQ that doesn't begin, middle or end at my house. LOL. I think I can arrange that.

So, what does the 4th hold for you?

Prayers for those in need, smiles for everyone - here. take one!

Doloris
July 3rd, 2015, 07:59 AM
July 4th is my DS's birthday and he will be 40. How did I ever become old enough to have a 40 year old child. I remember when he was just a little boy growing into the fine man he has become. Think I will wallow on that for a while and then head to my sis in laws and enjoy a day with family. My DS lives in Al so I will not be seeing him, but we do talk every week and I will be calling him tomorrow for sure.

irishrn
July 3rd, 2015, 08:49 AM
Morning all. Grey cloudy start to the day here with t storms expected on and off all day. Hoping to get the tick killer spread this morning in the yard before the rain!!
Today is day 4 of the NY visitors. Oldest DGGD spent overnight at UNC basketball camp and from her texts apparently is having a great time! The DGD will pick her up today and they fly home tomorrow morning. Visit from DH's DS and DIL went well yesterday. Managed to give them some time alone to chat. He was surprised with the difference in DH's health in the two years since they last met. I'm hoping this reminder of his condition keeps them in touch more in the future.

Finally got my new dryer at 830 pm. Delivery time originally scheduled for 11am to 1 pm!! A little late!!! Today the laundry room will be getting a work out!!! And when company leaves the guest room will be stripped again for next round of visitors at end of July!!

I hope everyone has a happy July 4th! Keep an eye on your pets as this is the scary time for them between fireworks and t storms!,
Casey is doing good in his new thunder shirt so I'm sure he'll be wrapped up today!!

Bubby
July 3rd, 2015, 08:52 AM
Morning Everyone,

Blondie, We're joining you and LL for the 4th. We are planning a slow weekend. Jeff needs a rest. Of course, we will grill burgers and brats and maybe drive up to see Jeff's brother and his family. That is IF I can get Jeff motivated.

Annika posted a link to a free pattern that's gorgeous. Oh if I could only lay my hands on all those luscious colors! I will probably have to make mine scrappy, which thrills me just the same. Thanks Annika for posting this.

I ended up getting all my hair cut off Tuesday. It's so short I can't even get it around a curling iron to straighten it. At least it's cool. Jeff got a discouraging report and more meds from the surgeon Wednesday. He has calcification that's irritating his sciatic nerve and there is nothing that can be done for it short of a surgical procedure but the surgeon refuses to do it because of the risk to his implant. He's living with moderate to severe pain due to the calcification and his other hip needing to be replaced.

We had our share of storms the past few days and got 6 1/2 inches of rain on top of already saturated soil. We have a lake in the middle of our front yard, which was an ice rink all last winter.

Wishing everyone a wonderful 4th of July weekend. Be safe y'all....

SewnByBee
July 3rd, 2015, 09:11 AM
Good Morning TGIF, , I love Holidays but not so big on the hustle and bustle. most timeI perfer rhe beach, away a nd relaxed we didn't
get togo this time, yet. Michael has had to travel alot, its hard to make plans.
I will miss fireworks on the beach, Toes in the sand , Geese how I love and miss being there. I would move to Florida if I could, mabe one day., Who knows.
Blessings to all and God bless America !!!

Ginny B
July 3rd, 2015, 09:36 AM
Good morning. No work today. Yay! And we closed at 4 yesterday so the long weekend got off to a good start. I came home made a cup of tea and then dh and I relaxed in our lounge chairs for a couple of hours before popping some leftovers into the oven for dinner.

Today we will do some chores in the yard, go to the farm stand for some fresh fruit and veggies and then maybe I'll get some sewing room time in. Sunday will be our beach day and tomorrow's plans are still up in the air.

Right now my plan is to enjoy my cup of tea and check out the dd and today's tutorial and read a bit on the forum. Have a great day everyone

CraftyJnet
July 3rd, 2015, 09:37 AM
Good morning!
No idea what the day holds. Maybe my daughter will drive up for a visit. My dh is off work today so that is nice. Have a great day, everyone!

Simply Quilting
July 3rd, 2015, 09:43 AM
Good Morning! Bright and sunny today and suppose to stay that way through the weekend. Yesterday as we were loading up to head to the pool, it started to rain. Looked at radar and it was going to be raining all afternoon. Cancelled the pool plans and had plenty of other things to work on.

Our fourth will probably be going to a friend's house for a BBQ and homemade ice cream. Some people bring fireworks and we can also see the city fireworks over the lake at their house.

Today lots more work on the house. There will be four areas that will be worked on. I am hoping that by the end of next week most of the house will be in order again and I can start sewing. Right now, I can not even get to a sewing machine.

Have a safe and happy Independence Day everyone :)

Carrie J
July 3rd, 2015, 09:58 AM
Morning Blondie and All! :D

HAPPY JULY 4TH

Cloudy here and expected rain for the next couple of days. Hope it doesn't interfere with our fireworks! Nothing spectacular happening, a quiet 4th for Hubs and I. Some tater salad, brats on the grill, grabbing the lawn chairs and watching the local fireworks display. Of course we'll be bathed in mosquito repellent, LOL! Worth it though! Hope everyone has a safe, fun and Happy July 4th!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 3rd, 2015, 10:03 AM
Hi everyone! No rain today, and we actually had a sunrise that we saw today!

I've been a necessary clutch wallet NCW making fool this week, working on sample #8, and on to #9! They are a lot of fun to make! But I haven't done much else this week!

I want to make a UFO into a picnic quilt. Can't decide what kind of batting to use in it, should I just use flannel, or the cheapest flattest batting I can find! My sister found a sample of one at a thrift store and gave it to me, I really don't need another one, but maybe someone in my family would like one.

Hope you all have a great day and holiday!

tnmtgrl
July 3rd, 2015, 10:12 AM
Good Morning......it's Friday....that means I have only 3 days left until the kiddies get here YAY!!! So I will be grocery shopping and cleaning and getting the house ready for their visit. I can't believe it's been a year already since they have been here. My son was so excited about this years trip because the kids are finally big enough to go white water rafting, he has waited a long time to be able to take them. So even though we have nothing planned for tomorrow we will be celebrating a few days late when they get here. I can't wait to see my grandkids I am really starting to get excited!! I hope everyone has a safe and fun time celebrating our independence..... God Bless America!

quiltingtrish
July 3rd, 2015, 10:28 AM
Happy Birthday America!

Surprised by an in-person wake up call from DD Katie. She is here until Monday sometime so not sure what the weekend holds other than a family picnic at DH's brothers home. Other than coming home sick with an upper respiratory infection, she looks great.

I hope everyone has a safe 4th no matter when or how you spend it. Especially around those fireworks.

CraftyBarb
July 3rd, 2015, 10:45 AM
Good morning all. Nice and sunny here today. Just sitting here watching "Blue Hawaii" and thinking what I want to sew today. Really have no plans for the 4th, prefer to be home where it's nice and quiet. One of the parks down the street from me will have fireworks tomorrow night..so since I am so close I won't have to worry about going there, will just sit in my driveway and enjoy them.

Happy 4th to all. Enjoy the long weekend..

CarolynK
July 3rd, 2015, 11:01 AM
Morning Blondie and all!

No work today so I am just sitting with my cuppa and reading, looking and drooling here over everyone's projects and trying to catch up since I cant' get here every day like I used to. I still love my new job!

I figured out what the NCW is and put that on my list! Jean has made some very nice NCW's. Just love those.

We're going to some friends for a BBQ and fireworks show tomorrow but then today and Sunday are mine to do whatever I want - there will be sewing involved! My machine and sewing room are missing me.

Have a great holiday weekend all!

Carolyn

Granny Judy
July 3rd, 2015, 11:11 AM
Thought I'd pop in this morning before heading out to do some shopping... stopping off at the farmers market for some FRESH VEGGIES.. Love my sweet corn and tomatoes. Hope to have enough for the cook out we are planning.

DDIs feeling really good after this 3rd round of chemo.. so we are gonna have a cook out and watch the fire works from our back yard. Don't want to wear her out yet. Next week will be better for her.. then she gets another round (every 21 days).

She had a great time when her father came up from Florida for a one on one visit. He really boosted her ego and confidence.

I'm working on a couple of projects. A disappearing 4 patch in black and white. And a scrappy stacking block with the 5 inch half hexi template. When I tire of one, I switch to the other.. Eventually I will get them both done.. then I can start the quilting part. Yippee!!

Hope this finds everyone full of holiday fun and food. Smiles!!

cjstaggs@comcast.net
July 3rd, 2015, 12:05 PM
Blondie, I do love your philosophy! I fly by the seat of my pants daily and always have. Sometimes I hit a snag by doing it that way but that just builds character. Enjoy your 4th!

JCY
July 3rd, 2015, 06:25 PM
It's already afternoon. Sunny, 92 deg. Hot. Had things to do this a.m. After 2 wks. of dr.'s appts., tests, etc. for DH, I needed to get out of the house for a while today. Took some clothing to the thrift store & hit my LQS. It always lifts my spirits to browse the fabrics. I found some really cute coordinating baby fabrics & others to go with them. I'm always looking for white. I like it with a little pattern in it, so it's not so plain. Most of them were too cream colored for my taste. I bought a Kona white layer cake to go with a Chloe layer cake I have on hand. I want to try the Herringbone pattern. With the baby fabrics, I think I'll try Jenny's 9 P & Fence Rail pattern. I'll use yardage & strip piece to make the rail fence & 9P blocks. My mind is always working ahead to new projects.

My M* order came today: 2 charm packs of the Island Batiks that were the DD recently. I also had ordered a yd. of aqua Toscana. I really like that line for solids to blend with patterned fabrics. My 2 pkgs. of fabric sheets also arrived from Amazon, so I have plenty now for making quilt labels.

It's off to the sewing room now. TGIF. Have a great 4th of July wk.-end.