PDA

View Full Version : Aussie visitor - tourist questions

AussieMicky
July 3rd, 2015, 04:57 AM
I am a fairly newbie quilter but addicted! I have convinced my husband to visit USA and go to Houston for Quilt show (he can go to Space Center) and then visit MSQC. We have a week or so around Missouri and neighbouring states. We have no autumn where I live (Brisbane) so would love to see leaves. Any ideas on local sights/towns and also where is good for Halloween? I was looking at log cabin resort places around Branson. many thanks

Blondie
July 3rd, 2015, 07:50 AM
Hello and Welcome to the MSQC forum! I can be of NO help to you in that part of our country, BUT you will be getting loads of help from others here who do live in Missouri and Texas. Depending on the time schedule of your visit, there is a MSQC forum gathering in the fall. I would imagine Branson would also be lovely in the fall.
Please be sure and come back here to the forum and get to know us better. We are about the bestest and happiest and friendlinest quilty group of people there are.

Blessings from North Carolina, USA
Blondie

pcbatiks
July 3rd, 2015, 08:31 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum. I had the chance to go to the Houston Quilt show a few years ago and loved it. If you are seriously planning to go........I would check into hotel arrangements now. It is a huge show and the hotels fill up fast. If you want to stay across the street from the show........check out Hilton Americas. Here's the site for the international shows.

Quilts, Inc. - Home (http://www.quilts.com/home/index.php)

SewnByBee
July 3rd, 2015, 06:37 PM
Hello and weicome to the forum, this s a grate place to learn. These lovely ladies and gentlemen are very talented and knowledgeable about quilting . They have beem helpful to me and supportive on my projects ,which I appreciate.

You are wanting to know about fall,the leaves begin turning around Late Sept. - Oct.- earlyNov. Realy depends on how much rain we get as to how long the leaves hange on. If it stays dry for a spell they don't last as long. At this rate of wetness we are having fall should be beautiful for a while.(we have had alot)

I 'm in Alabama bu my BF lives in Mo.
We get alot of the same weather.

Lots to see , I want to come see the M* too, hope you enjoy you visit to USA.

JCY
July 3rd, 2015, 09:59 PM
I think the fall colors probably are most spectacular in the New England states. Maybe people from that area can chip in. I don't know how widely you plan to travel, so don't know if that is an option for you.

Welcome from Colorado.

stationarymom
July 4th, 2015, 02:16 AM
hello and welcome to the forum from Massachusetts.

songbird857
July 4th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Welcome! I do agree that New England is the place if you want to see leaves :) I don't know if your time/budget will allow, but it would be worth a side trip. You'd want to book a place to stay now, you'll be hard pressed to find lodgings if you wait.
There are websites that will tell you the approximate peak time for colors in New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, etc.

dwil23
July 5th, 2015, 01:57 AM
Being someone who loves fall color, (and lives in Florida where there is NONE) I would think that by the time you are here, late October, early November, your best chance at seeing beautiful color is in the southern states. Generally speaking, the farther north you are, the earlier the color peaks. I was in Vermont the first week of October last year and it was nearly past. Usually the third week of October is considered peak in the North Carolina mountains. I think you will be at a good time to travel between Houston and Hamilton!

Here's a few different maps for you to check out!

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A86.J7rGuJhVlDcApd8nnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTBy NWU4cGh1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Fall+Foliage+Maps+2015&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

Hope you have a great time!

Yanna
July 5th, 2015, 03:13 AM
I have family that lives in Southern Missouri. I've been there many times around Halloween and the trees are gorgeous in Northern Ark. and Southern Missouri at that time of the year. Brandon is beautiful also. Enjoy your trip.

Deegles
July 5th, 2015, 08:06 AM
I was curious about things to do in Missouri. I found this link. It looks like you can plan a whole lot around Halloween. You could even go on hay rides, or visit historical haunted places. Here is the link Missouri Travel Vacation and Recreation Guide (http://www.go-missouri.com/)

Some states you can send away for a book and it lists events with dates in the zone you will be visiting. I couldn't find that. I guess this is a thing of the past with the internet at our fingertips. I have heard Houston quilt festival is huge and chocked full of lots to see. There are neat museums in Houston so if your husband gets bored there may be something else he can go do within walking distance.

shermur
July 5th, 2015, 08:18 AM
AussieMickey....I AM from Missouri (born and raised) and I am very familiar with the fall season! From the beginning of October through the middle of November; throughout Arkansas and Missouri...the Ozarks is all red, gold and orange. You can google many Halloween events of haunted houses, hayrides, corn mazes through out Missouri; especially around the Kansas City, Missouri area.

It will be a beautiful drive from Houston to Northern Missouri during that time of year. Have fun planning and do your research!

Lori63
July 5th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Shermur is right, there are lots of things to do in the Kansas City area. They have great haunted houses if you like that sort of thing. Worlds of Fun is a big amusement park www.worldsoffun.com They do things for Halloween also. Not to far from M* is Shatto Dairy Shatto Milk Company (http://www.shattomilk.com) It's a real working dairy farm, they give tours and have the best flavored milk! There is also an Amish community in the area.

I've only been to the Branson area a couple of times but they do have lots to do there also and the leaves should be beautiful too!

AussieMicky
August 29th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Thank you to all for the hints. Since there will be some leaves we are going to drive and I am getting really excited! Aussie Micky

LizTheScot
August 29th, 2015, 07:02 PM
My suggestion would be to plan everything for Houston first, then see how much time/budget you have left. As a previous poster mentioned, hotels near the convention ctr will fill up fast. Really fast. Might already be full, fast. One of my friends here makes her reservations nearly a year ahead of time because she wants to be able to walk to the show each day. And if you decide you want to take any classes, try to make those reservations quickly too. A different friend of mine came over from Scotland for the show last year and took about a month to decide on which classes she wanted - by the time she had her list, about half of them were already full, but thankfully she had a 'B' list to choose from. We had a blast! So envious of your trip....

Sandy Navas
August 29th, 2015, 07:19 PM
Al and I spent our 40th Anniversary here: Mountain Resorts | Big Cedar Lodge | Ridgedale, MO (http://www.bigcedar.com/)

Since it was in November we had no issues getting reservations - the place was quiet, we had a 2-bedroom (?) log cabin with a kitchen, fireplace, deck and grill - beautiful walking trails and the restaurants were five star for sure. It was cook, but we enjoyed the fall, the brisk walks around the lake and would go back in a second. Maybe we'll spend #50 there???? We're not too old for the excitement - YET.

snippet
August 29th, 2015, 09:08 PM
oooo you will have so much fun at the Quilt Show and in Missouri! I wouldn't worry about hotels close to the show thought. Get a hotel and have hubby drop you off on his way to the Space Center. It will be cheaper too.

Branson would be a lovely place for fall leaves. True, there are the spectacular leaves in the Northeast, but I loved the Ozarks. I don't know if it will be too late or not, but at any rate, I'd go there in a heartbeat. Sandy's description above is beautiful.

You are aware that Houston to MSQC is a long trip? Maybe two days....

Sandy Navas
August 29th, 2015, 10:33 PM
Carol, I'm laughing at your last comment about Houston being two days from Missouri Star. We had a British friend fly to Reno, Nevada to visit with a friend of ours. He got up the next morning and was all dressed, ready to 'go'. Where? Disneyland. He just knew that they could get there before noon and be back home for dinner. Distances can be deceiving.

alliek
August 29th, 2015, 10:53 PM
Hi from southern Virginia, WELCOME! I know nothing about Texas or Missouri as far as seasons go. I'm sure you will get a good deal of advice on this forum. Please let us know how your visit progresses. We would all love to know. God Bless and be sure to stay with this forum. You will love it.

LizTheScot
August 30th, 2015, 01:12 AM
oooo you will have so much fun at the Quilt Show and in Missouri! I wouldn't worry about hotels close to the show thought. Get a hotel and have hubby drop you off on his way to the Space Center. It will be cheaper too.

Branson would be a lovely place for fall leaves. True, there are the spectacular leaves in the Northeast, but I loved the Ozarks. I don't know if it will be too late or not, but at any rate, I'd go there in a heartbeat. Sandy's description above is beautiful.

You are aware that Houston to MSQC is a long trip? Maybe two days....

I agree re: Houston hotels. Last year we stayed at a hotel just a couple of miles away and drove each morning. Even with parking charges, it was cheaper than staying at one of the nearer hotels. And the place I stayed at included breakfast in the rate...I love love love breakfasts!

According to google maps, about 800 miles from Houston to MSQC... that sounds like just enough time to recover from one before plunging into the other :-)

KarenC
August 30th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Welcome and enjoy your trip. I go to the Houston show each year since I am lucky to live only 25 miles away. This year I will be there all 5 days because I am working for one of the vendors who is coming from California. I agree with the comment about the hotels. Ones across the street fill up very fast and you can save lots of money by staying a few miles away. Also ask if they provide a shuttle to the show, if you're not across the street. Your feet will be tired. PM me if you'don't like to meet up and have the time.

snippet
August 31st, 2015, 01:30 PM
Carol, I'm laughing at your last comment about Houston being two days from Missouri Star. We had a British friend fly to Reno, Nevada to visit with a friend of ours. He got up the next morning and was all dressed, ready to 'go'. Where? Disneyland. He just knew that they could get there before noon and be back home for dinner. Distances can be deceiving.

Exactly Sandy. I've had friends from other places come to visit and expect to visit New York or go to New Orleans or something. the distances are deceiving and I don't want anyone disappointed.