PDA

View Full Version : Why oh why?

asta
July 1st, 2015, 09:57 PM
I can not seem to pick out a decent seedless watermelon to save my soul. At the grocery store today with DH I picked out one and he suggested I stick to the seeded kind because I am an expert with those. But the stores around here don't even carry them any more-only the seedless variety. Well, just finished cutting up a couple to bring in the morning to a funeral dinner and once again not the greatest-not bad but not the greatest. Does anyone have a secret they are willing to share for picking out these monsters? Or is it just the luck of the draw for me?

K. McEuen
July 1st, 2015, 10:02 PM
I look for one with a yellowish color to the bleached spot where it sits on the ground. Some are more whitish green, the yellower it is, usually the riper/more sweet it is.

Hulamoon
July 1st, 2015, 10:11 PM
I do what Karen said, yellow spot on the bottom. My store buys from local growers for those. I wish they would do more.

bubba
July 1st, 2015, 10:20 PM
Don't ask me why, but I knock on them. My dad always did that, so I do too. I don't eat them, but I can pick them!

Here is a way to cut the big ones if you are at a picnic. Instead of slices, cut the melon in half (around the short middle part). Then place the cut edge down and cut 1.5" squares from the rine to the cut edge....you have watermelon sticks! The kids love them!

ilive2craft2
July 1st, 2015, 10:59 PM
I tend to go by the yellow spot - the darker the more ripe

Here is a NY Times video about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/technology/personaltech/100000003775646/app-smart-mixology-guides.html?playlistId=1194820411913

Sylvia H
July 1st, 2015, 11:02 PM
I think the yellow spot is the best way, but I remember my mother and father thumping on them. Of course, they were seeded, as the seedless were not available "way back then". I was told that if the thump sounded hollow, the watermelon was ripe.

Snickeldorfer
July 1st, 2015, 11:13 PM
Watermelon? Daddy used to raise them by the truck load. Back in the day we got about 3 cents a pound. Iffen you head to the kitchen and grab a broom straw, lay it across the top of the melon and it spins then its ripe.

The best way to eat a watermelon isn iffen you cut a plug hole in it and over a cuppola three days fill that hole with some Jim Beam and letter soak. I've got one on the back porch right now. May not have enough Jim Beam to fill it again.

GuitarGramma
July 2nd, 2015, 12:12 AM
A little post-picking help (other than Jim Beam, that is). A slight sprinkle of salt, ever ever so slight, will improve the taste of watermelon that's *meh*.

Carrie J
July 2nd, 2015, 12:16 AM
Yellow spot for sure! :D The more yellow, the better!

kensington
July 2nd, 2015, 12:17 AM
I look for one with a yellowish color to the bleached spot where it sits on the ground. Some are more whitish green, the yellower it is, usually the riper/more sweet it is.

this is true... the bigger it is also, means the longer it was left on the vine to ripen. My dad never would buy one before the week of the 4 of July either... He said they weren't ripe. I stick with that. I bought one yesterday for the 4th.

easyquilts
July 2nd, 2015, 01:04 AM
When I was a kid, my Ganddaddy used to plug watermelons, to see how good they were... You can't do that in Kroger's, though.... I have no idea how to choose good watermelons.... But, I can eat a whole one....all by myself....

quiltsRfun
July 2nd, 2015, 02:31 AM
I've tried all kinds of tests for getting a good melon with no success. Now I just pick one that's the size I want. The results are pretty much the same for me either way.

I can eat a whole one....all by myself....
Me too. It's one of my favorite things about summer.

snippet
July 2nd, 2015, 03:09 AM
I hate seedless watermelons. I think they have no taste. I prefer seeded watermelons and buy them according to the yellow spot and I thump it too.

I like the watermelon sticks idea! I'll have to try that. We spike our melons with tequila or rum. mmmmm

redcaboose1717
July 2nd, 2015, 03:47 AM
Just so you know......I clicked on the link you provided to watch the video about the watermelon ....and there was a lot of awesome videos there...but no watermelon info video ????

rebeccas-sewing
July 2nd, 2015, 04:04 AM
Right! All I saw was something on mixing drinks and grilling chicken breasts. hahaha I learned something new so thank you. Next summer I will be in the states. I'll be checking the yellow spots on the watermelons. The UK and the Netherlands appear to have melons but I don't know what they are and they are tiny by comparison. I guess I should buy one and check it out. Maybe it's not hot enough here to grow them like we do in the states.

mpattylou
July 2nd, 2015, 08:57 PM
I don't think you can use good and seedless watermelon in the same sentence...since it doesn't exist....(HA!) Truthfully, I think a lot of fruits and vegetables now days are bred/grown so that they survive transport better and in doing so the flavor has been diminished. Example: Red delicious apples...grown to look good....don't have any taste. I remember the apples we picked from my Uncle's tree when I was a kid....they were truly delicious. Maybe it is because they are picked so green and dyed to give the red color, that they haven't developed any flavor. I believe that the best tasting fruit is often the fruit that doesn't look perfect. I am really hungry for a good watermelon. Sure hope I find one this summer. I live about 45 minutes from prime watermelon growing country, but often the only ones you find around here are from Florida.

Heather
July 3rd, 2015, 03:37 AM
My grandpa taught us to thump and smell the "belly button" (where the vine connects) of all melons to determine ripeness. Unfortunatley I think fruits these days are grown for appearance and not flavor.

bec
July 3rd, 2015, 06:01 AM
I tend to go by the yellow spot - the darker the more ripe

Here is a NY Times video about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/technology/personaltech/100000003775646/app-smart-mixology-guides.html?playlistId=1194820411913

When I click on the link it is about mixing drinks, not about watermelon.