PDA

View Full Version : I wonder....

bubba
June 26th, 2015, 04:41 AM
how many of you remember what you were doing a year ago today? In about six hours time, I was getting ready to go in for my last day of work as I was retiring after 31 years of working at 911, most of them as a dispatcher for the sheriffs department. It seems like this past year has raced by and that it was only yesterday that I was there. I have to say this not working business and sewing and doing what I want business is the most fantastic thing I have done! There are times I may feel guilty, like when MM leaves for work four nights a week, but that passes as soon as I hear the garage door slide close.

Now, does anyone have a few hours a day they can sell or give me? I need more time!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 26th, 2015, 06:57 AM
No, I can't say I remember what I was doing one year ago, but I do know RETIREMENT IS FABULOUS! I was a stay at home mom for the first 15 years of my marriage, then worked part time and went to school to get my teaching degree to begin my teaching career at age 42. I was forced to retire my teaching job in elementary education in 2004 because my poor late DH was diagnosed with a Stage 4 brain tumor and needed a lot of doctoring. I definitely wasn't ready for retirement then, and was miserable in the fall of 2005 when the yellow school buses started to roll! I was enrolled in certification classes for ESL at the time, and a job at the local community college was posted for teaching ESL classes to college level students. That job was like a gift from Heaven for me! I loved that work and was so happy to be doing it for the next 7-1/2 years. The college phased out the program in 2012, but at a time when I felt retirement would be a good thing!

The rest as they say, is History! Love retirement, with the freedom to travel, sew, work on costuming projects, nap, go out for lunch, watch the grandkids, did I say nap? It's all good, except no paycheck! Thus the supplemental cash from sewing things for othesr comes in handy!

irishrn
June 26th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Retirement is wonderful! Sort of wonderful! And not so wonderful sometimes!
I went back to look over my calendar from last June and it was pretty much blank. DH and I had been to NY for his family reunion and we came home sick, spending a lot of June just recuperating! By the fall of last year things changed with his health and since then we have been doing a lot of doctor visits and tests to find out what is wrong! So since I was going to be keeping a closer eye on him daily, that's when the renovations to the house began and continue to this day.
I thought there would be time to travel and see the sights in NC but he doesn't do well in the car much beyond a 30 min trip. He gets chest pain, and doesn't want to go any further. He wants to come home. That's the not so wonderful part.
But all in all things I've always wanted done are getting done and even if I can only stay here a few more years, it will be worth it!
I don't regret retiring. Perhaps it was just in time to keep an eye on DH and keep him out of trouble!!
At least I do get to sew when I have the time. It's just lately I haven't had the time and I miss it!!

asta
June 26th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Pat, glad you have had an enjoyable and successful first year! I too am retired-forced to after 21 yrs. teaching elementary school because of the lose of much of my vision-and at times I find my life boring, not being able to drive and yet being young (lol) enough that all of my friends still work leaves me with a lot of free time at home. I get a lot of sewing done, in fact DH was just saying I am turning into a bag lady, after all there are only so many quilts a person can make.
Hope you are able to keep enjoying your permanent vacation!

WendyI
June 26th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Well I was happily living with my ex at that time and actually contemplating early retirement...sigh. So much for that. I don't know what I would do with myself if I retired early now. :(

sewelegant
June 26th, 2015, 01:31 PM
We were told @ work about a year ago that our plant will be closing mid-Feb, 2016. So instead of finding another rat-race job, I'm retiring. Hoping to find something that I love maybe part-time. So I've pictured all of the things I'll be able to do after Feb 2016. Now we're hearing rumors that we may be extended 4 months. NOOOOO!!! I don't want to work that much longer. I want to retire! But if I leave, I lose my severance, so I'll hang in there & just envy all of you that are retired.

Grandma G
June 26th, 2015, 07:02 PM
Wish I could give you some of my free time but there really isn't any left over to share! For all those people who told me I would be so bored I would be begging to come back to work I say - don't knock it if you haven't tried it!!! When I first retired I felt a little guilty staying home when I was perfectly healthy (the only reason not to be at work except for vacation). I think that was mostly because my dh still had to work. I got over that soon enough because I "found" quilting and now I find I don't have enough time.

Congratulations, Pat, on your first year of retirement!! Hope you are blessed with many, many more!!

Musical_Starling
June 27th, 2015, 01:58 AM
Woohoo! Happy Retirement Anniversary! I don't remember what I was doing one year ago today, but sadly I do remember what I was doing four years ago and it wasn't nearly as fun as retiring... I buried my sweet grandmother who I spoke about a short while ago in another post here. But, she's not in any pain nor is she confused anymore, and I spent a lot of time with her and made some great memories over the years, so I'm not too sad :)