PDA

View Full Version : Thursday

Blondie
June 25th, 2015, 07:41 AM
Welcome Thursday with me, folksies!

After a long and cool spring, I really should be ready for the heat we have been sweltering under. It is no secret that I am not a beach babe. I know so many who are. How happy I am for them. Let me say that I spent a good half of my life in Florida and California. I am certified for scuba, used to teach swimming with the Red Cross, and have snorkeled in the Caribbean - do you notice a trend here? Yay, you're the winner! The above all involve water. There is good reason for that. I do not take the heat well. Never have, never will. In fact, I don't know how I survived a childhood without air conditioning. This summer has already been scorching and yesterday did not disappoint. My poor little pick me up truck is just like me. It doesn't like extremes in temperature. We limped through some errands yesterday and came home like limp dish rags. I could hear the truck's tires crying out with each revolution "Everything is hot, hot, hot. Hate the heat. Everything is hot, hot, hot. Hate the heat" I tried to reassure myself and Mel (well, since this was my Daddy's truck, what better name?) that soon enough we would be singing, Baby, it's cold outside. I have been told that if your imagination is good enough you can actually feel cooler when you think hard enough. Sigh. Didn't work for me. I resorted to stripping down to the skivvies and standing in front of our a/c unit for a few minutes.

With all that being said, I am always up for the change of seasons when they are ready to turn. I am certain those in Boston, Jersey and surrounding areas are happy to see snow leave. Without the sun and heat we wouldn't have such pretty flowers and yummy veggies. I guess what I am trying to do is to convince myself that complaining about the weather is as useless as decaffeinated coffee.

I did minimal in the sewing room set up yesterday. As with quilting, I do the best in my head. I am the queen of make do and scraps, so, this shall certainly be the scrappy quilt room when it is done. I am enjoying the entire process.

Have a marvelous day, dear ones. Life is as good as you let it. Smile a little more today than you did yesterday. It does marvels for your frame of mind.

Monique
June 25th, 2015, 07:56 AM
Good morning. After the winter we had, I will never complain about the heat, although we haven't had really high temperatures yet. The nights are still cool enough that I have to shut windows, making it great to sleep at night.

After being awake for 18 hours yesterday, last night was an early night. Pooped out to the max. I did spend the afternoon with my friend shopping (no not fabric). Hubby decided to stay away another night. Today I need to go pick up keys for two post offices. A little running around to do and maybe I can get back into my sewing room.

Have a great day friends. A beautiful blue sky to look at this morning.

Cathy F
June 25th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Morning all,
Looks to be another beautiful day in the neighborhood although probably hotter than I would care for. Blondie, I'm with you and don't do well in real hot weather. My ideal would be spring and fall all year round!

Yesterday DH and I had a great day. We had tickets for Nice Work if you Can Get It starring Sally Struthers ( from All in the Family). We had front row seats so got to see her right up close. She was excellent in her role! Then we went to dinner afterwards at out favorite Italian restaraunt.

Started a new tumbler quilt. Have a few rows sewn and I'm really liking it so far. Hope to get a little more done today.

Today is graduation for our middle granddaughter from high school. Going over to get some pictures of her in her cap and gown. She won't be attending the ceremony as it will be too difficult after her knee surgery but we'll still make the day special for her.

Well this ole gal needs coffee so off to get my mug! Wishing everyone a good day!

MRoy
June 25th, 2015, 08:16 AM
Good morning! It's supposed to get in the mid-90s here today. I also don't tolerate the heat well, so I'll probably be inside most of the day. That's okay with me, I'll finish the quilting on the guild's raffle quilt before I hand it off to another member to bind.

Ginny B
June 25th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Good morning everyone. What a beautiful day we had yesterday. I had the chance to take my beach chair and sit outside under some nice trees yesterday at lunchtime and finish reading my book. Such a nice, peaceful break in the middle of the day. Will be out there again today. A co-worker from my last department will be joining me and we will have a bit of catch-up time. Another good friend from that department and I try to have lunch together out there and we really like it when it is this time of year and we can meet under "our tree". Even when it's hot and humid like it was on Tuesday, it is usually nice enough there to take a break. After hours in the a/c we need to get outside for a bit.

I got a bit of work done on the next row of my lattice quilt yesterday morning before work and I hear it calling to me again this morning. So I will head on up there and spend a little quality time in my sewing room until it's time to go to work. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Bubby
June 25th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Morning Everyone,

It's going to be another scorcher today so my plans include little else but sewing. I should be able to get the rows of blocks on the pinwheel quilt sewn together and save the double border for the weekend.

I did some grocery shopping early yesterday. We had BLTs for dinner so cooking wasn't a chore. Tonight I will make a hearty salad and that will be our meal. I use a mixture of romaine and iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, chicken breast, crisp bacon, chopped boiled eggs and a few black olives if I have them on hand. The dressing is about 3/4 cup mayo, 1 tablespoon grated or finely minced onion, a little fresh lemon juice (maybe 2 tsp) and enough bbq sauce(not a smoky flavor) to barely make the dressing pink and salt and pepper. Toss right before eating and enjoy.

Sending out hugs all around and prayers for healing and peace.

Angelia
June 25th, 2015, 08:46 AM
I never complain about cold weather--even when it is frigid, I know that too soon it will be hothothot! While I love the fact I don't work so much in the summer (more sewing time--Yay!), summer weather is something I could do without.

I've a quilt idea rattling around in my head, so I think I'll turn on the AC and play today.

Best wishes to all.

songbird857
June 25th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Love your post about the 'wheels on the truck' Blondie ;) The older I get, the less I like the heat - especially the humidity -it sucks all of the life right out of me! I do thank God (along with whomever designed it) for central air ;)
I finished quilting yesterday - yaaaaaay!!!!!!!! The binding will go on today - machine on the back too, I just don't think it's realistic to try to hand finish this one with all of life's interruptions. I'll try to post pics later today or tomorrow. I'm really happy with how it is looking; one tiny blip/pucker in the backing - nothing to get excited about - not bad for a queen size. I sandwiched it on my cutting table (5' X 3'), using the clamps, and it worked beautifully.
Hope everyone has a great day today - stay out of the heat!

Grandma Nan
June 25th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Good morning to all my forum friends
It is a beautiful day here but forecasting rain for later in the afternoon. We've had some pretty unsettled weather with thunderstorm activity popping up. No complaints here tho as I am not a winter person.

Next week we are going to go away for a few days to visit our friends in New Brunswick so today is pamper day- hands and feet. Tomorrow all 5 grands will be here for an end of school picnic. We are going to the beach (our version modified for those of you who live on either coast). My sister and a couple of her grands are joining so it will be fun. Lots of watermelon and our favourite "white holiday donuts". They have become a grandma tradition when we are on so-called holidays. So I need to go to the grocery store and get the treats and picnic lunch ham sandwiches.

It is a lot of fun and I am very happy to take them because it is great entertainment and they love just messing around in the water and digging in the sand and building castles. Me, I'll be thinking how could I get my sewing machine out here without it getting full of sand. I guess we'll all be building castles in our minds.

Have a great day and blessings to those who need special intervention.

KPH
June 25th, 2015, 09:15 AM
It's going to be another hot one here, too. I set a goal for reading this month, I'm a tad shy of where I want to be at the end of the month, so I'd better get cozy in my chair and get my kindle out for in between hexies today.

I picked up 4 of the row by rows yesterday. It's going to be hard not to start on them. I have a feeling I'm going to need some fuseable before I start.

Have a great day, stay cool and hydrate if you're out in the heat.

Katrina

WendyI
June 25th, 2015, 09:53 AM
morning all...busy day prepping for holidays! Lots of laundry, cleaning and packing to do tonight.

Off to a meeting so will catch up later. Thinking of those needing love today! xoxo

Mom23
June 25th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Good Morning All,

I am so much looking forward to spending the day sewing with friends from the guild today. It's "open sew" every Thursday and I go when I can. Such a wonderful group of women to spend my day with. I plan to mow when I get home later this afternoon but it's sprinkling now. I hope the rain passes us by so I can get on the tractor. Hubby sharpened the blades last night so the yard should look better than it did when I mowed Sunday. For those who don't know me well, it takes about 3 hours to mow and I love it! I put on my headphones and sing as loud as I want. The only thing I don't like are snakes. Sunday between me and my husband we killed 8 of those little critters. I chase them down when I can!

Supper is in the crock pot and the van is loaded, now I just have to wait an hour to head out. I'm just a little excited, can you tell?

Blessings to All.

Sandy Navas
June 25th, 2015, 10:05 AM
I mowed yesterday - time to get the hay baler in, too. I can't get over how much grass grows when it rains!! We had three digit weather here and I don't know why I didn't wait until the sun went down. Ahh, such is the life of a fool.

Not sure what I'm doing today but I do believe it will involve some sewing. Al and I are headed to Hamilton tomorrow for a fun day of play with the M* peeps.

Sending good vibes, thoughts, ideas to everyone out there in La-La Land.

irishrn
June 25th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Morning all! It is going to be another hot one!!! We are on day 15 I think of over 90 with at or nearly 100. It has been brutal and this is not for me at all!
Today DH has follow up appt with cardiologist! He doesn't want to go but not negotiable. Amen!
Appt is at 1pm so there is still time to fight about it! Oh my!
Then it's the last of the cleaning up for the bedroom and I move on to getting ready the guest room ready for DH's DGD and two DGGD coming in on the 30th. They are here till the morning of 7/4. So 4 days of cooking and catering to the visitors!
At least it will keep DH engaged in a different way than a routine day.

Hope all have a cool pleasant day. We need it!

toggpine
June 25th, 2015, 12:43 PM
The Western WA shop hop started yesterday I'm not making the marathon run we did last year. I still haven't put that one together although most of the blocks are done. I'll probably get enough to make a table runner or something. Maybe.

I managed some serious cleaning out of the sewing room yesterday. Still a bit more to do, but a huge improvement!

We have haircuts at 11 for the pre-wedding trim up. It also gives me 2 weeks to master whatever 'do we decide on for Em's hair. She has three flower blossoms for her hair. The poor kid has straight hair, so no adorable mass of curls to plunk them into. Her mom would braid said hair, but the body it is attached to can't sit still more than about 20 seconds.

Songbird, I found the apron pattern for you and posted it in yesterday's thread.

The coffee is done, and my list is still long, so I had better get to it!

Have a great one! C

alliek
June 25th, 2015, 01:20 PM
I'm with Blondie, HATE the extremely hot days of summer, I stay in. Lately, in my neck of the woods, I'm becoming a recluse.. This weekend is supposed to bring some relief, maybe I'll get to sit on the deck! I remember my childhood without AC, AWFUL. We lived in an apartment house in the Bronx NYC. The only saving grace was the linoleum floor. Cooler than my bed and I spent many a night on it. Today these old bones wouldn't be able to take it. Thank the Good Lord for AC. Keep the birds watered and the veggies (and the flowers, which are a treat to the eye and soul)

Bubby
June 25th, 2015, 01:21 PM
I'm indoors for the rest of the day. I went to the mailbox and made a quick run to the local grocery store for a couple sale items. While there they had rotisserie chickens for $3.99 each. Guess what we will be having for dinner tonight. The Girls are laying low and napping on the cool tile floor. I have the curtains pulled to keep out as much heat as possible. I got the laundry done so now the rest of the day is mine to sew until Jeff gets home. After dinner tonight we will both be mowing,.

Have a good day friends.

kensington
June 25th, 2015, 07:17 PM
I haven't sewn anything in more than a week. I left my sewing room nice and tidy when I left last week for Florida so I could come home and slip easily back into the three projects I have going. We got in last night. But, not today... my body needs to recoup from 2 days in the car. I wish I was young and spry as I used to be... but I am not. LOL.

I need to unpack... and then I think we will take a swim and relax this evening. Perhaps... sewing tomorrow.

I only have a few days before kids and their families all arrive for our annual 4th of July Reunion... We have fun stuffs planned and we will be blowing stuff up on the 4th. Lots of laughs and food in the planning. I'm sure there will be a lot of swimming, and maybe a day out on the boat.

I have to shop and stock up this week end to feed the crew of 20 of us for 4 days. I feel a baked Ziti coming on... and of course... days of cooking out!

twnkeyes
June 25th, 2015, 07:26 PM
I too am a heat hater and I live in Texas of all places! It doesn't help that I'm officially in menopause and sweat like the devil! I wear a bandana around here all the time and have started using peppermint oil on my chest and back of my neck which helps me somewhat cooler. Summer is not my favorite but just think, 6 months from today is Christmas day! Winter!