PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday

Blondie
June 24th, 2015, 08:17 AM

Hello folksies
It's Wednesday, hubs is just off to work, my coffee is cooling off and Gracie the chubby chi chi is planted squarely on my ample lap. Last week while hubs and I were doing things up and down the stairs for my sewing room, poor lil Gracie didn't know what in the world was going on. Yesterday afternoon I put a little quilt over a pillow for her so she can be with me when I sew. I still miss my Dinah kitty sewing companion and in truth, dear ones, I still look for her downstairs for a second or two! I must be getting dotey!

Plans for Pastor Johnson services have been settled. The consensus is that he had a blood clot. He was gone before he hit the floor. I think I may have told you that Pastor and his wife had over the years adopted 4 special needs children. 3 boys and one girl. Each one has a different type of needs from severe autism to palsy and Down syndrome. The girl, Chelsea , who has Down's, is taking this the hardest. She is a Daddy's girl all the way. I had her over here yesterday afternoon to get her away from all the hubbub. Chelsea had never been to my house before, but, she has been to my salon lots. At first she was terrified of the Gracie but once she sat down and saw that wiggling fat hiney she just laughed and laughed. She said, Gracie you are FAT. Since I don't have everything ready in the sewing room, I was asking young Chelsea's opinion and advice on everything. It was a sweet afternoon for her. And it sure didn't hurt me any. We walked across the road and looked at the cows and donkeys, walked Gracie to my Mom's and finally back home.

Who wants to join me for a fresh cup of coffee? Naughty me, I even have some crullers - but I am willing to share.
Keep smiling and never forget how very special you are. You probably need to be reminded that you are somebody's someone special. Not just a spouse, a mother, a granny - someone else is looking at you as their special friend. That is an awesome and heavy thought, I know, but wow! The truth is always mind blowing.

Special hugs and prayers to my quilting family. Many many many thanks for your love and prayers. Time to put on my big girl panties and get 'er done.

Angelia
June 24th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Good morning, and I have no idea why I am up this early!

Hoping for a quiet day that includes some sewing, some laundry, and maybe a nap! I finished my last cousin quilt yesterday (8!), and I'm thinking about my next project already.

Best wishes to all. :)

Lori63
June 24th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Good morning:)

Blondie, it sounds like you had a good day with Chelsea. My best friend's younger daughter has down syndrome and I love spending time with her, she really reminds you of what's important in life. As a matter of fact I get to spend a long weekend with them because my friend's older daughter is getting married this weekend.

Today is my last day of work for the week. We leave Thursday morning for the wedding. We'll spend Thursday and Friday setting up for the wedding on Saturday. I think I'll even have a little time to hit up the LQS for the Row by Row shop hop.

Hope everyone has a great day!.

songbird857
June 24th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Mornin' all...
So lately for my morning cuppa - I have been using my new French Press - hoo boy! Loooove that thing :) I had been eyeballing the Nespresso Virtuoline (and drooling)... and I may indulge someday, just not now. The under $20 French Press will do for now...
Since I went to Portugal, I have been searching for a way to make great coffee - my Keurig is 'good' (I use my own coffee in it), but the Press is so much better - kinda funny coming from a girl that did not even like coffee up until about 5 years ago!

I'm almost done quilting the 'Lexington' - the center is done, just need to do the two borders. Gettin' that done today, binding tomorrow. Let's just say that I'm learning a lot - manipulating a queen size quilt through my machine!
Hope everyone has a fantastic day :)

Bubby
June 24th, 2015, 09:01 AM
Morning, We're under a heat index today so I will stay indoors as much as possible except for taking the Girls out for potty breaks.

This morning I will put the house back together after cleaning carpet in the back. I just need to move the area rug and a table and a few odds and ends. After that and I run the Dyson I'm done for the day. I think I'll work on the pinwheel quilt and see if I can get the center sewn together. I shocked myself the other day and got the borders made.

Blondie, it sounds like you had a refreshing time with Chelsea. Again, I'm so sorry to hear about your pastor. It's so hard when our lives are interwoven.

Wishing everyone a good Wednesday.

Monique
June 24th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Good morning. It is a beautiful day. I have been up since 2am when I heard the alarm from the corner store. Smash and grab. Lots of excitement for such a little town, with all the neighbours milling about. My day is all upside down now. I don't know what I am doing yet. A nap is definitely in order for sometime today.

Have a great day friends.

Mom23
June 24th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Good Morning All,

Blondie, it was so nice of you to spend the day with Chelsea. I'm sure it was good for the both of you. My aunt with Down Syndrome will be 60 this year, 48 years longer than the doctors said she would live.

I took a twin size quilt to the LQS store yesterday and finished a full size Christmas quilt last night. It's all bagged up waiting to go to another quilter today. It makes me feel good to get both projects out the door.

Yesterday I said I wasn't going to check the forum except in the morning and night. Well, I did sneak a peek during lunch but I didn't spend too much time. It wasn't easy folks! I didn't realize how much time I was spending on my computer.

I'm off to workout class and it's my volunteer day at the hospital.

WendyI
June 24th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Morning all...another anxious day for me. I start my holidays on Friday afternoon at 4:30 so lots to do. I'm off to a department meeting then a lot of meetings throughout the day, including one with my therapist which is badly needed. Seems I've had a bit of a setback. Sounds like you had a lovely day Blondie...Chelsea sounds like such a sweet girl. My heart goes out to her and her family for their loss.

Thinking of all of those who are in need of love and healing thoughts and sending lots of both your way. xox

Sandy Navas
June 24th, 2015, 10:04 AM
My roommate just had a sneezing attack and blew all my thoughts out my head!

Lunch plans for the kids has been cancelled for Thursday. That older couple who join us (my brother and his wife) had double-booked, which probably works out well for sister and her husband since he is still trying to get all the beans in the ground and Al and I are still attempting major cleaning around the pool and deck areas.

Sure hope everyone has a day worth remembering! Special thoughts and prayers for comfort to all.

Iris Girl
June 24th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Morning all after the cable being out this morning and last night we are back. Apparently TWC had some maintenance to do and that meant the router needed a reset. My son fixed that when he woke up and we are in business. While that was out I managed to sandwich the jar quilt and the Labyrinth walk quilt Now to decide how to quilt each. Looks like a gorgeous day here , 2 loads of laundry on the line, son grilling Brots for dinner so the day is mine.
Blondie sounds like a wonderful day for you and Chelsea and Gracie.
Hugs for all those in need.

ceiliam
June 24th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Good morning from hot hot sunny ST. George. It has been unseasonably hot here coolest was 97 here yesterday evening been105. Have to get up at 6am to walk dog. Taking him to grommet today , worse than a kid hits all the mud puddles then loves to roll in dirt.
Got box kite quilt done, now just got to do borders,so ready to do something. Else. Was going to free motion on coupe quilts however my set bobbin case somewhere and I can't find it,,a little irritated, but will get over it
Wendy sending possitive thoughts your way. Blondie prayers and hugs your way. Hope all have a great wonderful day. Cecelia

GrammaBabs
June 24th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Yes indeed,,, we are ALL,,, somebody's "someone special"... that's what spins the world right!

I am basking in the glory of day 3 of my son's visit... how sweet it is:))
He came for Father's Day on Sunday:))

Tonight we all get together for a B-day celebration....Hugs, to all....GB

Simply Quilting
June 24th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Good Morning! We had went to the pool yesterday but the threat of a storm had us leaving early than planned. The most we ended up getting was a few sprinkles on the way home. The storm that was headed straight towards us took a detour. The big plus was coming home early gave me a chance to spend some time sewing on some projects.

We ended up getting rain this morning. Plus with it suppose to be in the 90s, we are sure to have a very humid day. I plan on spending my morning continuing to work on my sewing projects.

Blondie, continued prayers for you, the pastor's family and congregation.

Wendy, hugs to you.

Babs, enjoy you sweet son.

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone :)

toggpine
June 24th, 2015, 12:14 PM
I'm waiting for the coffee to finish. Hubby usually leaves me a cup or so after filling his thermos, but something must have gone sideways this AM as the pot is empty.

Plenty of chores to get done before the 4th & the wedding the following weekend. The biggest question is where to start!

I asked this question of the Night Owls, but only had two responses. I'm making a new apron and it offers pockets. I don't think I have ever used a pocket on an apron while cooking, so they would be mostly decorative. I'll probably leave them off of my own, but I'm considering making a few as gifts. Would you want pockets on yours?

This is the one I'm working on, but I have a few others I'm playing with.
The Scalloped Apron Pattern | Paisley Pincushion (http://www.paisleypincushion.com/product/the-scalloped-apron-pattern/)

I love that this one comes in all sizes from children's up to a size 26 in one pattern!

songbird857
June 24th, 2015, 02:21 PM
I'm waiting for the coffee to finish. Hubby usually leaves me a cup or so after filling his thermos, but something must have gone sideways this AM as the pot is empty.

Plenty of chores to get done before the 4th & the wedding the following weekend. The biggest question is where to start!

I asked this question of the Night Owls, but only had two responses. I'm making a new apron and it offers pockets. I don't think I have ever used a pocket on an apron while cooking, so they would be mostly decorative. I'll probably leave them off of my own, but I'm considering making a few as gifts. Would you want pockets on yours?

This is the one I'm working on, but I have a few others I'm playing with.
The Scalloped Apron Pattern | Paisley Pincushion (http://www.paisleypincushion.com/product/the-scalloped-apron-pattern/)

I love that this one comes in all sizes from children's up to a size 26 in one pattern!
Cute pattern! I'm not sure about the pockets - I rarely use aprons (although I should - I am NOT a neat cook ;)) The pockets are pretty as decoration, even if they aren't used. What I DO like in an apron, is a loop or grommet to hang a kitchen towel - I'm forever wiping my hands, but usually just keep the towel on the counter or tuck it into my pants pocket!

bhaggerty
June 24th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Good Day All!

This summer seems to be flying by!
Blondie, praying for your pastor's family & friends!
Not much sewing this week, sadly. Just not enough time.
Hope you all have a great day!

Bubby
June 24th, 2015, 03:13 PM
I don't need pockets on my aprons.

Sandy Navas
June 24th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Aprons? Love (absolutely love) the concept. Never put one on. I'm a seat of the pants wiper . . . sad to say. Go through a couple kitchen towels a meal though!

Iris Girl
June 24th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Aprons? Love (absolutely love) the concept. Never put one on. I'm a seat of the pants wiper . . . sad to say. Go through a couple kitchen towels a meal though!

This made me laugh. I was always told I need a butt apron as thats always where I wipe my hands!

toggpine
June 24th, 2015, 06:03 PM

This is what I'm trying to stop!
Actually, it's become a good habit I've developed to throw an apron on. The ones I do have came from the longshoreman's seafood ChowDowns I used to attend with Mom & Dad during the Maritime Festival.
They are great a protecting your clothes from seafood spills during dinner and wiping hands. They are not so great at protecting the girls from flour, cocoa powder, and assorted batters when holding a bowl or pan to pour out. The 'bib' part is too narrow for full coverage and rides a bit low with the standard neck strap.
I'm hoping this apron will do the trick. I laid out the paper over me, and it should cover the right stuff! I've also modified one of the regular bib aprons with wonder clips to fit better and will use it as a pattern to cut a new one.

One of my friends saw the pattern, and wants one for her farmer's market booth. I can see where the pockets will come in handy for her in that one.

I have a pattern around here for a waist-tie apron that buttons on a terrycloth towel. I'll see if I can dig that up for you Songbird.

Angelia
June 24th, 2015, 06:23 PM
I usually tuck the towel in the pocket to keep it handy, but that's the only thing I use a pocket for.

Sandy Navas
June 24th, 2015, 07:09 PM
I do not remember ever seeing my paternal grandmother without an apron on. (Sadly my maternal GM passed before I was born). My PGM was bigger around than she was tall (although in her wedding picture she was quite petite). Her aprons are pretty much a wrap-around type. I don't ever remember eating at her house so don't know if she cooked or not, but with five sons who were all big strapping boys, I am certain she turned a mean dinner from the cast iron. Mom never wore an apron that I remember. Personally I keep a nice bib by my place at the table - more food falls through the hole in my bottom lip . . . .

Ginny B
June 24th, 2015, 11:35 PM
I put an apron on to keep from ruining my clothes because I tend to be a bit messy when I cook. And if there is even just the smallest area of white in anything I am wearing, you can be sure that something like marinara sauce will be sure to find it. And I do like pockets in mine. I sometimes hook a towel in it so I'm not always looking around trying to find where I laid it down. I usually use my cell phone as my timer so I pop that in my pocket so I will be sure to hear it go off even if I step out of the kitchen.

toggpine
June 25th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Songbird, I found the pattern.
It's a McCall's Fashion Accessories one in the American Hostess collection with Mother/Daughter options. The number is M4729, but it was out in 2005-ish. It is Apron view C that had me thinking of you. I bet that you could modify any current apron pattern on the market with a waistband to make this work.
Two buttons are attached, one at each hip, and then you place button holes in the terrycloth/dishtowel. This pattern actually had you make a special towel panel for it.
Here is to hoping I can get the image to attach... (OK that is BIG!)

https://img0.etsystatic.com/057/0/5144274/il_fullxfull.694474712_eogg.jpg