PDA

View Full Version : NY, NY, it's a (heck fire shoot) of a town!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 23rd, 2015, 08:29 AM
I just got back from a 5 day bucket list trip to NYC! Wow, so many firsts for me! We went for a special concert done by one of my long time favorite artists, jazz saxophone player Paul Winter. It was held as a sunrise event to welcome the dawning of the first day of summer. Started at 4:30 am and it was held in the magnificent Cathedral of St. John the Divine! Wow, what a unique experience! The entire concert was done in total darkness, and as it progressed, the light of dawn began to light the church through the beautiful stained glass windows. No church lights till the end of the final song! How cool was that? Way cool!
This beautiful church is so hemmed in by neighbors, it's impossible to get it all in one picture?

We did the usual tourist things, such as museums ( I had to keep reminding myself this was NY, hence so many art works of incredible fame!), Broadway shows ( we saw one every day!), borough bus tours, River ferry tours, a subway ride, a visit to the plaza during the Today show, I ticked off a lot of bucket list items on this trip! We did not go up in tall buildings as my brother has a fear of heights, so we enjoyed looking up, not down! Worked for me!

Foot weary, broke as a pauper, but full of great memories of this great trip!

Here's some pictures.

Manhattan from the Staten Island Ferry

One World building, I love how the sky is reflected in the building!

Iconic Brooklyn Bridge

Statue of Liberty from ferry

Yours truly with Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges in the background

irishrn
June 23rd, 2015, 08:38 AM
Oh Jean!! You must have had a wonderful time! The Cathedral is breathtaking on any day but with a sunrise concert it must have been absolutely amazing!! NYC and the surrounding boroughs are always exciting. I do miss it sometimes but not enough to move back!!
So glad you enjoyed your trip! Now you must plan one during the Christmas season. Nothing like it!!!!

oldsewer
Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us!

Doloris
Welcome Back. It was me that sent out the hounds looking for you. Somehow I missed it if you said you were heading to NY. Glad you had a great time.
I have never been there. except to drive through with my brother when I was about 11 or 12. He graduated form the Merchant Marine Academy and had to go downtown NY to join the union or something. We didn't do any sight seeing. :(

Lori63
June 23rd, 2015, 08:40 AM
Looks like you had a great time! That concert sounds amazing! Thanks for posting pictures.

Bubby
June 23rd, 2015, 08:40 AM
Wow, you had an incredible trip. The One World Building is really awesome. I'm glad you got to make this trip. NYC is on my DD's Bucket List, too. I hope she gets the chance to go some day.

Hulamoon
June 23rd, 2015, 08:45 AM
What a wonderful check off to your list! I want to hear what shows you went to. I miss that.

Cathy F
June 23rd, 2015, 09:10 AM
Hi Jean,
Glad you enjoyed the "big apple"! You were about an hour from where I live on Long Island. My son in law is a union electrician in the city and he was one of the people who worked on the antenna on the one world building.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 23rd, 2015, 09:15 AM
Hi Jean,
Glad you enjoyed the "big apple"! You were about an hour from where I live on Long Island. My son in law is a union electrician in the city and he was one of the people who worked on the antenna on the one world building.
We toured Brooklyn, so I guess we were somewhat close to Long Island. I was very impressed by what we saw there, would love to spend time in Prospect Park!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 23rd, 2015, 09:17 AM
Welcome Back. It was me that sent out the hounds looking for you. Somehow I missed it if you said you were heading to NY. Glad you had a great time.
I have never been there. except to drive through with my brother when I was about 11 or 12. He graduated form the Merchant Marine Academy and had to go downtown NY to join the union or something. We didn't do any sight seeing. :(so heartwarming to know I was missed! Meanwhile you were hone sewing more wallets!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 23rd, 2015, 09:21 AM
What a wonderful check off to your list! I want to hear what shows you went to. I miss that.we saw Kinky Boots ( fabulous!), Les Mis ( meh), Something Rotten ( very very funny and some great innovative costuming!) and a The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Nighttime. The last one is from a book of the same name, which I know well from having taught with it in my college reading/ writing classes. The story was told with simple staging enhanced by some absolutely amazing technology. Fabulous show, maybe my favorite of the 4!

BobW
June 23rd, 2015, 09:44 AM
Jean,

There is no where quite like NYC. I have been several times. I have a brother who lives in Brooklyn. He lives just a block away from the end of the Brooklyn Bridge. For many years he lived on Long Island. The Broadway and Off-Broadway shows, museums, iconic buildings and the shopping. I'm so happy for you to have made this trip.

Eriepatch
June 23rd, 2015, 09:48 AM
It's an amazing place to visit. Glad you had such a good time.

WendyI
June 23rd, 2015, 09:55 AM
That concert sounds absolutely incredible. Maybe one day I will get there. I love it when people have good trips! I don't really like to travel myself but one day I will have to visit NY since it's not really that far from me. Glad you had a great time and nice to see you back!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 23rd, 2015, 11:23 AM
I thought Curious Incident was so amazing! The costumes were just regular clothes, but here is an interview with the scenic designer on why she chose the concepts she included in the show. This woman is a genius!

Bunny Christie on the Vibrating Energy of Curious Incident's Designs | Videos | Broadway.com (http://www.broadway.com/videos/156206/tony-winner-bunny-christie-on-the-vibrating-energy-of-curious-incidents-designs/#play)

amartin24
June 23rd, 2015, 11:54 AM
Sounds like an awesome trip! The concert itself was worth the trip - how cool! We only live 2 1/2 hours away and should really get up there more often. I believe it is the most expensive city in the country! Even going to a place like Applebees or similar is twice the price of anywhere else. There is a lot to do and see that isn't very expensive at all. A trip all should experience if they get the chance. We just probably take it for granted as we live so close. NYC is one place I won't drive - too many crazy cabs! If we stay up there, we stay in Jersey City and take train over. There is a Marriott on the NJ side and PATH train is about 50 feet away. Saves money and so convenient. NY subways are an experience for sure!

bubba
June 23rd, 2015, 12:26 PM
The year my best friend and I turned 50, her and I went to NYC w/out our husbands (they did not want to go!) for an entire week. What fun we had! We got one of the City Passes (big money saver to get you into museums, etc.), a subway pass ($24 for a week!) and we were off! The Met, the Guggenheim, the one where Night in a Museum was filmed, Empire State Building, ferry trip around Manhatten Island, Chinatown, Brooklyn, Coney Island, Broadway shows, street markets, and I'm sure we walked close to fifty miles that week! I wanted to go to Mood Fabrics, but we never made it there, just saw it one night after it was closed for the day. City Fabrics is also on my list if I ever return, which I would do in a flash.

Sounds like you had a great trip! What shows did you get to see? Those cathedrals are beautiful, aren't they?

sewbizzy
June 23rd, 2015, 12:33 PM
Oh Jean, what a great trip...thank you for sharing your experiences and the pictures...

Grandma G
June 23rd, 2015, 01:10 PM
What a fabulous trip! You must have managed just enough sleep to get you through each day. lol Wish I'd known you were there at the Today Show. I watch it everyday and always watch the crowds to see where everyone is from. You certainly made some wonderful memories. BTW - you do realize when you "disappear" like that without making a huge announcement on the forum that everyone starts to panic...yours truly included.

bhaggerty
June 23rd, 2015, 02:08 PM
So glad you had a great time! The sunrise concert would be amazing!
We need a family vacation to the big apple!!!

K. McEuen
June 23rd, 2015, 02:11 PM
Sounds like you had a wonderful time. But, the pressing question is - Did you hit any of the fabric stores?

Wwena
June 23rd, 2015, 02:52 PM
Wow Jean, what a trip! A show every day? You have some stamina, girl! I'm happy you had such a great time. :)

YellowCockatiel
June 23rd, 2015, 03:12 PM
Love New York! Lived there 2 weeks each month for about a year (work related). They have amazing shows, museums, parks, and places to eat. Loved it so much that I eloped there!

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 23rd, 2015, 03:37 PM
Sounds like you had a wonderful time. But, the pressing question is - Did you hit any of the fabric stores?
No, no fabric bolts were harmed by me on this trip! Lots of t shirts and hats came home with me, though!

RiverMomm
June 23rd, 2015, 04:23 PM
Welcome home! Sounds like you had a trip of a lifetime!

bscuzz
June 23rd, 2015, 10:54 PM
Jean, your trip sounds like you got a very big bite of 'the Apple' - glad you had a great time! Bet you're ready to go back! We're about an hour out of the City in NJ. For a Southern girl my first trips into the city had my head spinning like a top - have enjoyed it for years since but a little more calmly. It's definitely a 'bucket list' visit for anyone. It sure is the "City that never sleeps" - my favorite thing to do is a 'Handsome Cab Ride thru Central Park'!

Kgrammiecaz
June 23rd, 2015, 11:16 PM
I am so jealous yet so happy you made this trip. Sounds like all went well. I miss going because I just liked walking around. Having a hotdog from the street vendors was awesome. Have not been in a couple years, no time when we were up seeing my parents. My daughter did New Years Eve one year and thought it was fantastic. Dont think I could handle those crowds.

Now you got me thinking I need to make a NJ trip so I can take the train ride into the city. Hmmmmmmm

Thanks for sharing your experience with us all. And, you were missed!

Ginny B
June 23rd, 2015, 11:45 PM
Jean, sounds like you had a fantastic time in my neck of the woods. That concert sounds amazing! You certainly did do a lot during your stay. So glad you had a good time.

stationarymom
June 24th, 2015, 02:16 AM
Jean so glad you had a good trip.

rebeccas-sewing
June 24th, 2015, 06:30 AM
That is definitely a trip to remember! I'm glad you had the opportunity to visit the Big "A". It's been many years since I lived there. I envy those who are wealthy enough to live there in style. Not the case when I was residing on 25th Street. hahaha I have many memories from those days. Some good and some not so good. hahaha

Blondie
June 24th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Jean, I am thrilled that you were able to take in so many sights. I enjoyed seeing and hearing NYC from your birds eye view. Thank you for sharing these with us!