PDA

View Full Version : LOOKING FOR "SHOE" ADVICE . .

bscuzz
June 18th, 2015, 12:53 PM
. . . my granddaughter is going to Italy next year in March (school affiliated) . . . this granddaughter also loves, loves, loves 'shoes', especially Italian leather shoes . . . the question is for all of you in Italy or 'in the know' - would she be better off to wait and buy shoes 'in Italy' rather than buying them here in the New York area. Bottom line, will prices be less expensive in Italy?

Also, any advice for my DGD about Italy in March and what 'not to miss' on a visit to Italy! She's 17 and looking to continue her education, after high school nx yr, in Fashion. Just need to give her advice and try to keep her 'grounded' since she tends to be dramatic.

:icon_rolleyes::icon_surprised::icon_scared:

rebeccas-sewing
June 18th, 2015, 01:07 PM
I know someone who lives in Italy. I'll ask her. I just PM'd her on Facebook. I'll let you know what she says when she responds. Remember that the Euro is a bit higher than U.S. dollars - $1.14 American to 1 Euro. It fluctuates but I checked and that's the exchange rate right now.

Vonnie
June 18th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Would she have to "declare" anything bought in Italy? Is there a dollar amount to keep it under?

Which part of Italy is she going to?

bscuzz
June 18th, 2015, 03:56 PM
I know someone who lives in Italy. I'll ask her. I just PM'd her on Facebook. I'll let you know what she says when she responds. Remember that the Euro is a bit higher than U.S. dollars - $1.14 American to 1 Euro. It fluctuates but I checked and that's the exchange rate right now.

Thanks Rebecca - I look forward to hear her thoughts. With exchange rate & possible duty tax, they'd have to be very reasonable - but she might simply like getting them in Italy. I hear they keep the best quality & only export lesser quality.

bscuzz
June 18th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Would she have to "declare" anything bought in Italy? Is there a dollar amount to keep it under?

Which part of Italy is she going to?

Hopefully more details will be posted. I know they'll be in Rome but also visit other cities, Which she told me, but I forget - will have to ask again 'n hope I remember!

Juliet Taylor
June 18th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Hi :) I'm Italian and although I may not know everything maybe I can help?

I'm sorry I'm not that very strong in fashion but maybe I can help :) My family was from Rome so I spent enough time over there, I know beautiful historical locations and a couple of good places where to eat :)

I don't know about shoes though... you can find shoes for every price, but if she's into fashion and wants something with a nice brand I don't think it will cost less than 100 euros! But in my humble opinion shoes are very important (more for comfort for me than design and style) and as long as she buys "made in Italy" I think it will be a good shopping to do here. We use a different way to number shoes' size btw.

Some tips: I'm afraid to say sometimes tourists do not receive the best treatment in tourist city like Rome. Tell her please to be very careful EVERY time she's in Rome, always keep her bag close to her, maybe not keep too many money or keep them separately, like in a belt or in a tiny bag around her neck. I don't want to sound too alarming but I have a friend who lives in Rome and she already had the misfortune to have thieves picking her wallet from her bag and this way too many times!

Another tip: Rome people usually are very friendly and generous, it's common to offer guest beverages and food and every comfort. It's their way to relate. Food especially

I'll thinking about something else... sorry right now I'm very tired I do not think straight :) PM me if you need anything specific!

bscuzz
June 19th, 2015, 03:17 AM
Hi :) I'm Italian and although I may not know everything maybe I can help?

I'm sorry I'm not that very strong in fashion but maybe I can help :) My family was from Rome so I spent enough time over there, I know beautiful historical locations and a couple of good places where to eat :)

I don't know about shoes though... you can find shoes for every price, but if she's into fashion and wants something with a nice brand I don't think it will cost less than 100 euros! But in my humble opinion shoes are very important (more for comfort for me than design and style) and as long as she buys "made in Italy" I think it will be a good shopping to do here. We use a different way to number shoes' size btw.

Some tips: I'm afraid to say sometimes tourists do not receive the best treatment in tourist city like Rome. Tell her please to be very careful EVERY time she's in Rome, always keep her bag close to her, maybe not keep too many money or keep them separately, like in a belt or in a tiny bag around her neck. I don't want to sound too alarming but I have a friend who lives in Rome and she already had the misfortune to have thieves picking her wallet from her bag and this way too many times!

Another tip: Rome people usually are very friendly and generous, it's common to offer guest beverages and food and every comfort. It's their way to relate. Food especially

I'll thinking about something else... sorry right now I'm very tired I do not think straight :) PM me if you need anything specific!

Thanks Juliet - all good info and especially the tips about safety of her purse, etc. when in Rome. I'd really appreciate the info on eateries and historical sites. I worry about her traveling out of the US (I guess all grandma's worry about her grands!) but she's so excited to come to Italy, I hope it will be a fun (and safe) trip for her. Between now and March I may be in touch via PM to ask you for more insight. Thanks again!

rebeccas-sewing
June 19th, 2015, 03:46 AM
Here's what my friend had to say.

"Hard to say...nothing like buying Italian shoes in Italy..if she will be in Rome or Florence..then definitely could buy then and if she doesn't find any..she can always get them in NY."

rebeccas-sewing
June 19th, 2015, 03:54 AM
Yes, tell her how very important it is to protect her valuables. My daughter had a really scary experience when in Argentina. She was in a crowd of people with all her valuables in her backpack. Everything of value was stolen including her passport. They were told to look through the trash bins since the money would be removed and the rest would most likely end up in the bins. Our friend's son found her passport which was the most important loss. Wearing one's valuables inside one's clothing is probably the safest way to go. My husband has an ankle wallet that he wears concealed under his jeans. I wear one of those travel wallets around my neck inside my top. I, also, usually carry a backpack. When I'm in close quarters with others, I move it off my back. I sling it over one shoulder and hold it in front of me. My purse is very small and that sits in front of me across my body. I never carry a large purse when I'm traveling. Knock on wood I've never had anything stolen while traveling.

bscuzz
June 19th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Thank you so much ladies. My mission fm now to March is to make her keenly aware of safeguarding her valuables - and herself- by doing the things you have suggested. Maybe I can make her a small purse to conceal under her clothing.

Do you think a "tattooed passport" would satisfy customs????? Seriously though, the 'shoes' are such a minor concern compared to keeping herself and her valuables safe. My work is cut out for me with this dramatic, naive, gorgeous young lady - who talks to everyone and trusts people too much. I want her to be friendly and trusting so it's hard to try to point out that it's not always wise.

Thanks again! :icon_confused:

gshalom
June 19th, 2015, 05:54 PM
be very careful on the public transportation in Rome. keep money, credit cards, etc. close on your person. I'm a guy and i always carried my wallet in my front pants' pocket and held onto it while riding. had no problems. but I knew it was my hand in my pocket! :-) A friend kept money in a 'fanny pack' that was on his waist carried in front and lost everything. I also encountered gypsies in Rome so be careful. They're not dangerous but they beg. Love Italy, especially Siena and Florence (who doesn't?). I also understand that Milan and Genoa are unexplored jewels definitely worth the visit.

bscuzz
June 19th, 2015, 09:31 PM
Thanks a bunch Jersey guy. My goodness, I would have thought a 'fanny pack' worn in front would have been a good idea - but I'd better rethink what I can come up with that is concealed. Are the 'street gypsies' aggressive or will they take 'no' for an answer? I'll have to ask her if a visit to Milan or Genoa are in their plans?

rebeccas-sewing
June 20th, 2015, 05:32 AM
How the heck did they steal from something carried in the front? Going with something inside the clothing is best. Usually the discount stores like Tuesday Morning, TJ Maxx, or maybe Marshall's carry those under-clothing pouches. I'm pretty sure I got mine at Tuesday Morning years ago. I found them near the luggage. Here's some ideas but whatever the choice it should be worn UNDER her shirt. https://www.google.nl/search?q=under+clothes+wallets&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=yySFVfn0I8-f7gakiIz4Bg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=711 After all, the only things of real value that she might be carrying are I.D., passport, credit card, and cash. I don't advise taking any expensive jewelry or anything that she would grieve over if it got stolen. Her backpack should only be holding stuff like umbrella, sweater, sunscreen, etc. Tell her we all say to be vigilent in protecting her valuables. You're welcome to share my story regarding my daughter's experience. Losing that passport is not something one wants to experience.

bscuzz
June 20th, 2015, 09:39 PM
How the heck did they steal from something carried in the front? Going with something inside the clothing is best. Usually the discount stores like Tuesday Morning, TJ Maxx, or maybe Marshall's carry those under-clothing pouches. I'm pretty sure I got mine at Tuesday Morning years ago. I found them near the luggage. Here's some ideas but whatever the choice it should be worn UNDER her shirt. https://www.google.nl/search?q=under+clothes+wallets&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=yySFVfn0I8-f7gakiIz4Bg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=711 After all, the only things of real value that she might be carrying are I.D., passport, credit card, and cash. I don't advise taking any expensive jewelry or anything that she would grieve over if it got stolen. Her backpack should only be holding stuff like umbrella, sweater, sunscreen, etc. Tell her we all say to be vigilent in protecting her valuables. You're welcome to share my story regarding my daughter's experience. Losing that passport is not something one wants to experience.

Rebecca, thanks loads. Your link leads to a very informative website, not only for various safe devices for valuables while traveling, but as I ventured further, it also suggested that you research and view how 'pickpockets operate' and what they look for. I guess someone stealing a 'bellypack' worn in front must be really good at his craft!!!! Wouldn't you think if they put that intellect to legitimate work they could do better?!?!?! Now I just have to convince this 'trusting young GD' to leave her fancy purses and good jewelry at HOME! She wants to see Italy BUT BE SAFE! Thanks again Rebecca :icon_mooooh:

Juliet Taylor
June 22nd, 2015, 03:42 AM
Actually, not to sound too alarming, but a friend of mine who lives in Rome while on public transportation realized afterwards they cut her dress to reach her pocket. OF course it doesn't have to be so alarming everytime!
The problem is that tourists and old people are the best victims because the tourists usually are lost in admiring the city and the old people are weaker and slower.
Btw I'm sure everything will be fine using the tips and some cool ideas to keep her safe :)
I'll write you down some stuff in the next week for visiting Rome :) If I would be free from work I would gladly go down to Rome to help her out a bit but usually my vacations don't start until late May!

bscuzz
June 23rd, 2015, 12:43 AM
Actually, not to sound too alarming, but a friend of mine who lives in Rome while on public transportation realized afterwards they cut her dress to reach her pocket. OF course it doesn't have to be so alarming everytime!
The problem is that tourists and old people are the best victims because the tourists usually are lost in admiring the city and the old people are weaker and slower.
Btw I'm sure everything will be fine using the tips and some cool ideas to keep her safe :)
I'll write you down some stuff in the next week for visiting Rome :) If I would be free from work I would gladly go down to Rome to help her out a bit but usually my vacations don't start until late May!

Thank you again Juliet - I've begun my 'chats' with Sarah to try in an ongoing, gradual way to make her aware of 'safety concerns'. I've told her I'll be making some 'security pouches' for under her clothes, hopefully this will deter any pickpocket. She assures me that their Italian Language teacher (male) is giving all the girls (12 appx) plenty of safety instructions prior to their trip in March. Their travel will be thru American Council for International Studies (ACIS) Tour Management. In addition to Rome, they will visit Florence, Venice, Pisa and a couple other cities that I forgot already.

I very much appreciate your kind offer to go to Rome to give her guidance, but she tells me that most of their time will be scheduled with a bit of 'free time' for personal or elective choices. I do look forward to your tips for visiting Rome that I can share with her and if she falls in love with Italy and decides to come back, we'll have to make a plan. ;)