PDA

View Full Version : Dead harddrive

Iris Girl
June 17th, 2015, 11:21 AM
well today I was sewing away on a surprise for someone. (will share pic later) and my laptop started doing things on its own. I thought nothing of it as my son does updates and things remotely from his computer. Then I look and theres a hard drive error. So go ask and see if its him. NOPE so he comes and looks and thinks the hard drive is dying. So he gets my back up drive and loads all my desktop ans book marks on to that and transfers it to my other sons computer for safe keeping. In the process he gets the message hard drive is failing.
So he ordered me a new harddrive which will come tomorrow or friday. In the meantime I can't post any pics and have to check from hubbys computer. So thats my day today.

Midge
June 17th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Boo! How fortunate you had some warning it was failing and you were able to back up everything for safekeeping. I imagine you would have been writing a very different note if that had not occurred! And how wonderful your son can do the repair for you. Look on the bright side - your sewing machine isn't the thing that died. Now that would be trouble.

Sandy Navas
June 17th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Sending hugs and comforting thoughts. It's amazing how much we rely on these pieces of machinery. BLAH!!

WendyI
June 17th, 2015, 12:29 PM
My laptop died and now my iPad isn't being supported much anymore..it's very frustrating as the iPad is still in awesome shape and the battery life is amazing! My computer is also acting up at home. I rely on it for EVERYTHING so it's also very frustrating. Scott used to take care of all that stuff for me and now I have no one.

I'm glad your son could fix all that for you.

Bubby
June 17th, 2015, 12:41 PM
At times like this we realize how dependent we are on our devices. My hard drive bit the dust a couple years ago and I felt so cut off from the rest of the world. I hope things clear up for you soon. Thankfully it wasn't your sewing machine that went out and you have a way to check the forum.

Carlie Wolf
June 17th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Boy there must be something in the air when it comes to computers.

I couldn't type on my laptop the other day, quite a few of the keys just did nothing. I pulled out my old computer that now has Ubuntu on it trying to search for a solution. Stupid Windows 8 had done a major download/update (which I had set NOT to do it on it's own but it did anyway) and the problems began two days later. I did a recovery to just before the update and it fixed it.............for one day and then kept occurring. I DID NOT want to have to get another laptop.....I'd rather buy fabric, right?

Anyway my brother in law suggestion that go to Walmart with my computer and try one of the plug in keyboards by Logitech and see if I can then type. It WORKED!!!!!!! so I also picked up a 4 port adapter plug in all for about $30. Just got back so here I am :-) and I feellllllllllll your pain. Don't you just HATE technology anymore!

Cathy F
June 17th, 2015, 01:16 PM
I feel your pain, I have become so dependent on my tablet that when I dropped it and the screen cracked I was totally lost until the new one came. How sad is that!LOL!

SallyO'Sews
June 17th, 2015, 01:31 PM
That must be really annoying, April! But aren't you glad your son was able to save all your stuff? Hope the new hard drive arrives soon and with no problems.

sewlucky
June 17th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Boo! I hate it when our technology fails! My iPad bit the dust as well. Trying to decide if/when/what to replace it with!

Iris Girl I was thinking of you on Friday when we were visiting the Denver Botanic Gardens - they had a huge section of many lovely varieties of irises! :)

Terri

bubba
June 17th, 2015, 02:21 PM
I am so very glad that your son was home and was able to move all your things quickly!!! I would have no clue what to do. I had one of those picture moving photo frames and it fried and erased the little card when it did. Somehow, MM and his magical fingers were able to recover all my pictures so that was a relief! It's nice living w/a guru, isn't it?

And Terri, Costco is sell iPads again at great prices. When I bought my first one, it was only 16gb and I needed bigger, so just replaced it w/a 64gb. Hopefully it will be good for a long time since they don't come any bigger.