PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl Flies Around

kimsophia
June 17th, 2015, 01:05 AM
Hi everybody,

Hootie hoot to you! What's your news? I started working on my teal wallhanging project. Now that I look closer I think the original piece I'm copying used foam wedges covered with fabric. Anybody know how to cut foam wedges?

There's a cricket in my sewing room! A very loud cricket! I've been hunting for it but no luck.

How are you? @,@

sewlucky
June 17th, 2015, 01:21 AM
Cut foam with an electric knife!

I'm tired and heading to bed in a few. So many projects running around in my mind. I think I have to break my own rule and start more than one project lol

Night night!

Terri

bubba
June 17th, 2015, 01:30 AM
I sewed another NCW today and have another almost halfway done. This one is for an order and has an orca whale on the flap. It is for a good friend of mine who loves orcas and is very involved in the environment. I gave her a sneak peak of what I had done so far and she is very excited, so that makes me happy.

I was playing around w/my phone earlier and somehow I made the keyboard teeny tiny. So teeny tiny that I could not even swipe or type on it!!! It took me about an hour and a half to figure out what I had done and I won't be doing that again anytime soon!! Crikey!

MM just left for work. I gave him the choice of rice-a-roni mixed with hamburger and celery or enchiladas for dinner. Naturally, he picked the enchiladas. Been a few months since I made them and he sure was appreciative! I could tell by the way he inhaled his dinner!

I also figured out how to attach and send a file on my ipad today, so I am feeling quite accomplished.

Now if this pain I'm having would only go away, I'd be a happy woman.

stationarymom
June 17th, 2015, 01:35 AM
Hi How are you doing tonight?I spent the night with my friends mother again while the family went to see my friends son graduate from the fire academy.I didn't have a very exciting day started by going to the dr's for general check up.No sewing because i knew I needed to go out and wanted to fix something for supper for my crew here before I left.I had to call and make reservations for a weekend away in August for my aunt and uncles 60th wedding anniversary.We will be staying at the inn at Loon Mt, it cost $213 dollars a night highway robbery.I hope there will be some foliage out at least.

Lightwriter
June 17th, 2015, 01:45 AM
The other owls in the family got grounded on trip back from beach. Flights were cancelled. DD and Hubbie stranded at beach.tonight. DS rode with us to Another airport trying to catch later flight, but that got cancelled too and he rented car to drive 5 hours home.

I just wanted to see my children and have a nice family vacation. Sigh. This trip had so much trying to happen even before DH's sister died unexpectedly. Trip couldn't be rescheduled, tried to salvage part of it. So much effort. DS finally made it home at midnight. Now to get other two home tomorrow.

bec
June 17th, 2015, 02:40 AM
Didn't get a lot accomplished today. Mostly odds and ends of housework. I brushed the neighbors dog this morning. She has been so pitiful looking. She's a lab mix and has a thick undercoat that comes loose and gets very shaggy looking. She has walked around for days with her nose practically touching the ground. I think she was embarrassed about how bad she looked, plus she hates hot weather. I brushed her yesterday, too, and DH and I gave her a bath. She is acting so much better now. I guess you're thinking I'm crazy, but our neighbor is my BIL and he doesn't mind that we tend to her. They are hardly ever out of the house and seldom even talk to her much less give her any hugs and attention. She's at our house as much or more than at their house.

I did get to do a little SITD on the baby quilt I'm working on, but it was getting late and I was too tired to do much.

Going to attempt to go to sleep. The first try wasn't successful. Wish me luck! lol

kimsophia
June 17th, 2015, 02:49 AM
That's too bad about your family gathering, Connie. I will be going to a family gathering which is not funeral-related. :( We just kept meeting for funerals and so we are making the effort to meet at a happy time.

I'm just seam ripping in front of the tv. I'm debating whether I want to use foam, because I like what I did today with using batting...

Andrea F
June 17th, 2015, 03:11 AM
Good morning all, I'm having my second cup of coffee and am trying to wake up. Still haven't learned to go to bed early instead of 1 or 2 a.m. when I have to get up at six for work the next day. If you see me here at (your) 4 pm later, send me to bed please. LOL.

Kim, I'd cut foam with my bread knife. Have done it before, works well for me.
Connie, don't they have to provide a room and a new flight the next day or something if they cancel the flight and your kids can't go home?
Pat, I hope you can get rid of that pain.

I'm waiting for my twist lock for the ncw I'm planning to make. I ordered a butterfly twist lock, I'm kind of excited for it to arrive. Should be here tomorrow which is fine because I probably won't be sewing tonight. They have an elephant twist lock, too.
We're going to Augsburg for a couple of days next week, visiting friends. Thomas is going to Munich on Monday for a conference and we'll meet in Augsburg Wednesday night. I'm really excited because I haven't seen my BFF since we were in Amsterdam for a weekend in March. Only seven times more sleeping until then!

Nighty night everybody! Got to get ready for work. See you later.

bubba
June 17th, 2015, 03:25 AM
Pat, I hope you can get rid of that pain.

I'm waiting for my twist lock for the ncw I'm planning to make. I ordered a butterfly twist lock, I'm kind of excited for it to arrive. Should be here tomorrow which is fine because I probably won't be sewing tonight. They have an elephant twist lock, too.

Thanks! It seems to be gone for the moment. It's been coming and going all afternoon, but tonight it got really bad.

Are you excited about the NCW? The first one I did, I did not put peltex in that one section of the zipper pocket (the very bottom that folds back up in front), but I have in the ones since and am very happy with that. Are you nervous about the twist lock? I was scared to death! The first one is the only one I have done w/the twist lock, mainly because the ones since have designs in the fabric that I did not want to interrupt. I thought about doing it on the one I'm working on, my fourth, but I think it will also have a snap. I hurt my shoulder this past week, so I have not been sewing much because it hurts to use the rotary cutter so I cut most of this one out by hand! I can't wait to see what yours looks like! I nearly ordered the butterfly, but didn't. I might give the thumb lock, or whatever it's called, a try though!

Andrea F
June 17th, 2015, 04:23 AM
Thanks! It seems to be gone for the moment. It's been coming and going all afternoon, but tonight it got really bad.

Are you excited about the NCW? The first one I did, I did not put peltex in that one section of the zipper pocket (the very bottom that folds back up in front), but I have in the ones since and am very happy with that. Are you nervous about the twist lock? I was scared to death! The first one is the only one I have done w/the twist lock, mainly because the ones since have designs in the fabric that I did not want to interrupt. I thought about doing it on the one I'm working on, my fourth, but I think it will also have a snap. I hurt my shoulder this past week, so I have not been sewing much because it hurts to use the rotary cutter so I cut most of this one out by hand! I can't wait to see what yours looks like! I nearly ordered the butterfly, but didn't. I might give the thumb lock, or whatever it's called, a try though!

Yes, I am. It's the first one and the twist lock looks pretty on the computer screen but sometimes they don't look as nice in reality. Besides that I'm not sure if it fits. It's supposed to go with the grey flowery Chloe's Saddle bag I made and I don't have much of that fabric left. I had only 1 meter of it, I really love it and I can't find it anywhere else. Maybe I should do a test run with another fabric. I'm also scared to use the twist lock. You need to cut a big hole in the wallet to install it, right? I have a few of those thumb lock thingies but I guess they are too big for a wallet. I'm not sure if I have one of the smaller ones. Haven't ever tried one of those either. My 'go to' closures are magnetic snaps.

Thanks for the tip with the peltex. I'm going to try that. How did you reinforce the rest? With woven interfacing? I have never used Peltex before but I've got some of the fusible. In the very first hand bag I made I used something similar called "Schabrackeneinlage". You have to fuse interfacing over it to keep it in place and it turned out very very stiff. I don't care for that so much.

What did you do to your shoulder? I hope you get better quickly. Cutting everything with scissors and not being able to sew is a bummer. How are the pajamas going?

kimsophia
June 17th, 2015, 04:24 AM
I feel like I accomplished something tonight as I got the last of the strip sets seam ripped back into a jellyroll again. :P I wish I hadn't set my alarm for 8 to watch the NBA finals. It wasn't a very exciting game and now I feel so foggy. I'm not drinking any coffee in hopes that I'll fall asleep early. I wonder when my daylilies will start blooming. I have a collection of 60 and they make July pretty here. :)

Bec, bless you for helping the doggie. :)

Lightwriter
June 17th, 2015, 07:56 AM
Depending on airline, they apparently are not required to provide room (supposedly in some small print in your airline "contract" which is available who knows where)

(This is after a lot of discussion at airline counters yesterday)

If you are at the "beginning" of your trip according to USAir
Spirit airlines claimed they didn't have to because it was weather related

Nothing is as it once was. I once got a room with another airline on a cancelled flight, but I think it was because I was one of the first in line. The motel was claiming they had no more room by the time I got there so the other fliers may have been out of luck.

Not real thrilled with the airline service yesterday...if it was weather they still could have been much more helpful. The two flying the greatest distance had to wait until flight this afternoon. They were a little more flexible with work schedule. DS had to be back in DC for work by today and couldn't wait for flight today.

Sandy Navas
June 17th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Cut foam with an electric knife!

I'm tired and heading to bed in a few. So many projects running around in my mind. I think I have to break my own rule and start more than one project lol

Night night!

Terri

The race is still on . . . don't you have a QAYG to finish????

pcbatiks
June 17th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Kim.........your elusive cricket reminds me of the Frasier episode where they have a cricket loose in the apartment........funny show. :D

kimsophia
June 17th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Kim.........your elusive cricket reminds me of the Frasier episode where they have a cricket loose in the apartment........funny show. :D

At first I thought it was the smoke alarm giving its "low battery" sound but when I got in the hallway to check the chirping was further way to the right of me. I didn't see the Frasier episode. What did they do?

I did get to sleep around three and slept until six, so I'm awake at a normal hour. I just need to keep this schedule for our trip. I'll never see my cousins otherwise.

I have some four inch foam from Jo-Ann's here and tried a serrated knife to cut it (I don't own an electric knife). I couldn't make smooth cuts but I liked the look of the fabric on the foam wedge. I found that I can cut this foam with my rotary cutter and then cut inch wide strips from that piece. It helps to smoosh down the foam ahead of the cutter. So there's hope, although I haven't figured out how to affix the fabric to the foam strips and the strips to each other...I'm thinking glue may be called for. Good thing I have two bottles of Elmer's Glue from glue basting.

pcbatiks
June 17th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Frasier & Martin sat in the kitchen with a gecko tied to "leash" of dental floss........hoping the gecko would catch the cricket.

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

I looked it up..........it is season 9 episode 3.........if you are interested.

sewlucky
June 17th, 2015, 01:22 PM
The race is still on . . . don't you have a QAYG to finish????

I sure do Sandy! But I'm going to be waiting on that third jelly roll of my print to arrive from M* before I can completely finish that project. I shipped on Monday, so maybe will see it on Friday but I am guessing more like next Wednesday. Lucky for me I have *ahem* a "FEW" new projects I can get working on in the meantime once I have used up all that I have here! I will be very close to done at that point I think.

Terri

bubba
June 17th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Yes, I am. It's the first one and the twist lock looks pretty on the computer screen but sometimes they don't look as nice in reality. Besides that I'm not sure if it fits. It's supposed to go with the grey flowery Chloe's Saddle bag I made and I don't have much of that fabric left. I had only 1 meter of it, I really love it and I can't find it anywhere else. Maybe I should do a test run with another fabric. I'm also scared to use the twist lock. You need to cut a big hole in the wallet to install it, right? I have a few of those thumb lock thingies but I guess they are too big for a wallet. I'm not sure if I have one of the smaller ones. Haven't ever tried one of those either. My 'go to' closures are magnetic snaps.

Thanks for the tip with the peltex. I'm going to try that. How did you reinforce the rest? With woven interfacing? I have never used Peltex before but I've got some of the fusible. In the very first hand bag I made I used something similar called "Schabrackeneinlage". You have to fuse interfacing over it to keep it in place and it turned out very very stiff. I don't care for that so much.

What did you do to your shoulder? I hope you get better quickly. Cutting everything with scissors and not being able to sew is a bummer. How are the pajamas going?

You do have to cut a hole....just a bit larger than the one on the lock. Does yours have screws, or just tabs? Make sure you get glue!! I used 6000 and it worked fine, but was a big messy. On FB, they have a group called NCW Addicts. Go there and join. There are files w/lots of hints/tips/add ons. Also, you can look at pictures of others. Someone made a great one the other day using a thumb lock and it looked wonderful! I have always sewn the sides on the inside (you will see when you get there). People say they have problems with that, but I never have. I start 2" from the top and head up, backstitching a lot on both ends. It works fine. You can also use grommets.

I tripped and fell into the wall and banged it. It aggravated an old injury. My other pain is still there this morning. I think it's my sciatic nerve, but it is affecting a spot it never has before and I'm not happy! That bothers me daily from an injury at work....me vs a broken chair that flipped me back and screwed up my back for the rest of my life.

I just used SF101 on mine. On the first two, I used four layers on the flap, two on the lining and two on the outside. Since I am not doing a border on the one I am working on now, I put a piece of peltex in the flap. I think I'd prefer, maybe, some 987F. The pj's are coming. Have not cut anything out yet because of my shoulder and I still have two seams on the top I have to rip out. That has taken a lot longer than I expected it to.

Doloris
June 17th, 2015, 02:36 PM
You do have to cut a hole....just a bit larger than the one on the lock. Does yours have screws, or just tabs? Make sure you get glue!! I used 6000 and it worked fine, but was a big messy. On FB, they have a group called NCW Addicts. Go there and join. There are files w/lots of hints/tips/add ons. Also, you can look at pictures of others. Someone made a great one the other day using a thumb lock and it looked wonderful!

I tripped and fell into the wall and banged it. It aggravated an old injury. My other pain is still there this morning. I think it's my sciatic nerve, but it is affecting a spot it never has before and I'm not happy! That bothers me daily from an injury at work....me vs a broken chair that flipped me back and screwed up my back for the rest of my life.

I just used SF101 on mine. On the first two, I used four layers on the flap, two on the lining and two on the outside. Since I am not doing a border on the one I am working on now, I put a piece of peltex in the flap. I think I'd prefer, maybe, some 987F. The pj's are coming. Have not cut anything out yet because of my shoulder and I still have two seams on the top I have to rip out. That has taken a lot longer than I expected it to.

on my NCW I used head liner on the flap and the center of the main body. used a med interfacing in the sides of the main body that get sewn to the pockets.

Andrea F
June 17th, 2015, 03:58 PM
You do have to cut a hole....just a bit larger than the one on the lock. Does yours have screws, or just tabs? Make sure you get glue!! I used 6000 and it worked fine, but was a big messy. On FB, they have a group called NCW Addicts. Go there and join. There are files w/lots of hints/tips/add ons. Also, you can look at pictures of others. Someone made a great one the other day using a thumb lock and it looked wonderful! I have always sewn the sides on the inside (you will see when you get there). People say they have problems with that, but I never have. I start 2" from the top and head up, backstitching a lot on both ends. It works fine. You can also use grommets.

I found the FB group. Oh my gosh, did you see the one with the skull fabric? I love/want that one! I see what you mean with sewing the inside...
I ordered two locks, the butterfly lock looks like it has screws, the other one not. They should arrive here tomorrow. I only have normal glue sticks but maybe if I'm careful hot glue works? I'm probably going to make a practice piece first before I dare to try it with the pretty fabrics. Then I can also try different options with the interfacing. I have some woven stuff and some fusible fleece, but it still sits in the package.

Oh, that sounds bad, hope you'll get better soon. Can't there anything be done about your back? At least physical therapy to make it easier for you?
Those chairs can be really nasty. When I had my first apartment, I had plastic chairs from Ikea with back rests that were only put loosely on top of two poles (?). They fell off many times, startling anyone who used them and some fell off.
We had a garden plot for several years when the boys were kids, right at the corner of a path intersection. We bought a foldable sun lounger and one time when I lay down on it, it just crashed underneath me and my butt was on the ground. I was lucky, nothing was hurt besides my pride. Of course people in the other garden plots saw me crashing that darn thing.

Can you give the ripping to your DH? Mine does all the ripping for me if there's a lot to rip out. :D

Dolores, is head liner fabric with foam on one side?

Doloris
June 17th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Dolores, is head liner fabric with foam on one side?

yes, it is the same as soft and stable

Andrea F
June 17th, 2015, 05:51 PM
yes, it is the same as soft and stable

I figured soft and stable would be too thick, but maybe I can use it then. I just saw the one you made, I love it. It looks perfect.

Doloris
June 17th, 2015, 09:23 PM
I figured soft and stable would be too thick, but maybe I can use it then. I just saw the one you made, I love it. It looks perfect.

when I used it I only put it in the middle of the main piece, the side flaps just have regular interfacing