PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl on caffeine

kimsophia
June 15th, 2015, 01:06 AM
Whooo hooo hoot! How's everybody doing? Woke up at 8 p.m., watched another NBA finals game (WOW!), and have poured my second cup of coffee in preparation for block cutting. My new blades and TrueGrips adhesive rings arrived. My blade is changed, just gotta get the latter stuck on my rulers.

How's it going with yooooou? @,@

bubba
June 15th, 2015, 01:13 AM
I have been seam ripping pajamas this afternoon.....got the pants done and one of the sleeves. Just that took me three hours! I will do the collar, back, and one front tomorrow and I should be good to go in making a pattern! Unfortunately, my eyebrow trimmer would not work because of the serging, the seam and the topstitching, so I had to do it all with my seam ripper. Aye yi yi!!!

I just finished watching all my hours of Castle!!! I think I have 13 hours of Burn Notice now. The show I am presently viewing is The Briefcase. Have any of you watched that yet? It's on Wednesday or Thursday night, last just an hour but it is very moving!!

Waiting for MM to get home....he had to run up to the lake.

stationarymom
June 15th, 2015, 02:08 AM
I didn't have such a great day ,just didn't feel well nothing major.I watched the briefcase 2x so far it is a good show.Kim do you always sew later at night?I know I would sew the wrong things or everything would be wonky (not on purpose) so I don't sew late at night.
Bubba good luck with your pajamas.I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Granny Judy
June 15th, 2015, 02:17 AM
Getting ready to lay this body down... Nice peaceful day with beautiful weather. Spent time outside til it started raining. Then worked on cleaning my sewing area and vacuuming all the floors. DD#2 felt really good today.. Her week 3 after rd 2 of chemo. Just have to watch that she doesn't get sick.. since her immune system is compromised.

Kids went out to meet a couple of friends for an early supper and I didn't have to cook!! Even brought me home a "doggy Bag". I swooped in on that and didn't leave a crumb for anyone!! Lots to do, but not on a Sunday... It' my day of rest. How about you? are you resting or working??

Lightwriter
June 15th, 2015, 02:35 AM
Trying to go back to sleep. I have had a total of maybe twenty hours of sleep in last week. We are trying to salvage a couple of days of the nuked vacation with the children but we are so exhausted from last week it is sort of like going through the motions. We rarely get to see our children so this was not good. After all the effort to finally make a family vacation finally happen...then last week happens. Sigh. Then when we get home we have to help nephew settle his Mom's business. Maybe I need to have a good cry and use the hankie quilt to dry my eyes.

Three shark attacks just up the coast in last three days. Major injuries to teens. I'm not going any further than sticking my toes in the edge of the water. This owl is watching the water carefully.

kimsophia
June 15th, 2015, 02:39 AM
I didn't have such a great day ,just didn't feel well nothing major.I watched the briefcase 2x so far it is a good show.Kim do you always sew later at night?I know I would sew the wrong things or everything would be wonky (not on purpose) so I don't sew late at night.
Bubba good luck with your pajamas.I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Yup, but then it is morning to me as currently at half past midnight I have only been awake for four and a half hours. I'm brain dead around 8 in the morning and go to bed but sometimes don't get to sleep until 10 in the morning. I enjoy having the house to myself! (Of course DH is here but asleep.) I can do what I want!

I have four of the four-strip blocks cut at 9 inches each. I certainly did not sew them accurately enough to be 2 1/4 inches each but I ain't redoing them! The seams won't be meeting up at any area and I figure if it ain't wonky, it wasn't done by me. Inaccurate cutting and crazy prints are my specialty :D I am cutting them 4 1/2 inches on either side of the center seam so I don't have any one strip more than a quarter inch bigger than the other three. Good enough for me. I'm worn out after cutting four blocks. lol The plastic grippers on my ruler do help. Also the sharp blade is awesome. I feel like I'm in a sewing video. lol

redcaboose1717
June 15th, 2015, 03:00 AM
I a night owl too...( most of the time you will find me here on MSQC's forum after 1:00 am ) I just can't sleep much between the hours of 1 am -6 am....I am in the process of making a few of those pouches that Jenny has a video tutorial on. I am going to give these to a few friends for either their B-days or a Christmas gift. I normally give them either a couple pairs of pillowcases or a set of pillowcases and a tote bag. Maybe this year I will change it up a bit and find something else to give as gifts.
IF anyone has any great ideas .....I would love to hear about different small projects to make ! :-0)

toggpine
June 15th, 2015, 03:05 AM
Busy weekend here.

Saturday's bridal shower followed by a visit from my mom: Check.
Laundry: In progress
Bales 101-200 of 2015 hay: In the barn!
Kid pens: Cleaned
Dinner: Made & cleaned up
Husband training for milk room duty: In progress.

I have some verification testing to do for the State Dairy Herd Improvement Assn. the next two weekends. That means Dad & Em get to run the milk parlor for a few milkings. He's starting the training a few days early so the girls get used to him being there. Sometimes they get snooty about getting on the stand or coming out of the gate if it's not who they expect to be there.

I am wiped for the day and soo ready for bed. 30 more degrees and the milk will be done. Here is to hoping that I don't fall asleep on the laptop!

Happy hooting ! Cath

redcaboose1717
June 15th, 2015, 03:07 AM
I am a night owl myself....I just can't sleep too much between the hours of 1am-6am.
Right now, I am in the process of making some of the pouches that Jenny did a tutorial on
http://land.missouriquiltco.com/zipper-pouch/?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=lp&utm_campaign=t035

I normally make something "different " for friends and family to give as gifts for their b-days and Christmas. Usually I give them a pair of pillowcases and a tote bag, or knitted dishcloths etc.

I would love to come up with something different to try for a different gift ( a sewing project ) etc. If anyone has any suggestions as to a gift ( small projects ) I would appreciate it ! :0)

bec
June 15th, 2015, 03:11 AM
Another wonky night for me. I hardly got any sleep last night either. I guess I should be thankful for the few hours I do get. lol
This evening I started quilting a friendship star baby quilt done in 30's reproduction fabric. It is so cute and colorful. Although, I would like to do some customized fmq, I decided to do SITD because the customized that I was wanting to do would make the quilt stiffer than I like for a baby quilt. I am going to do my binding differently, though. I'm going to put a flange on it to give it a little special look. I'll post pics when I'm done.

hmmm...I think I hear a snack calling to me. See ya later! :)

kimsophia
June 15th, 2015, 03:16 AM
I am a night owl myself....I just can't sleep too much between the hours of 1am-6am.
Right now, I am in the process of making some of the pouches that Jenny did a tutorial on
http://land.missouriquiltco.com/zipper-pouch/?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=lp&utm_campaign=t035

I normally make something "different " for friends and family to give as gifts for their b-days and Christmas. Usually I give them a pair of pillowcases and a tote bag, or knitted dishcloths etc.

I would love to come up with something different to try for a different gift ( a sewing project ) etc. If anyone has any suggestions as to a gift ( small projects ) I would appreciate it ! :0)

Well I can tell you of one project my DH loves...rice bag neck warmers. You cut two U shaped pieces of fabric big enough to go around an adult's neck. The first time I used fleece but this time I used cute flannel for the top piece and black fleece for the lower piece. You leave an opening and pour dry raw rice in. You can sew compartments or just dump it all in...I'm not sure it makes much difference really. Sew it shut and then they can microwave it a minute and it heats up the rice for a nice wrap on a sore neck and upper shoulders. It does smell like cooked rice at first but we like Chinese food. :D

bec
June 15th, 2015, 03:30 AM
Well I can tell you of one project my DH loves...rice bag neck warmers. You cut two U shaped pieces of fabric big enough to go around an adult's neck. The first time I used fleece but this time I used cute flannel for the top piece and black fleece for the lower piece. You leave an opening and pour dry raw rice in. You can sew compartments or just dump it all in...I'm not sure it makes much difference really. Sew it shut and then they can microwave it a minute and it heats up the rice for a nice wrap on a sore neck and upper shoulders. It does smell like cooked rice at first but we like Chinese food. :D

I use dry corn...like they sell at walmart to feed the deer. It smells better than the rice and doesn't make the bags feel so heavy. I only make the rectangle ones, not the U shaped, so I don't know if the corn would work as well in those or not. I make a little flannel pillow case to cover mine. I use to put herbs in mine to make them smell good, but it doesn't last very long. So then I started putting a teabag in the pillow case. Now I don't use any herbs. I think I am rambling. lol

kimsophia
June 15th, 2015, 04:43 AM
Oh, ramble away! :) Yeah I had a friend who made them with lavender but DH is allergic to fragrances so he likes his plain. She actually sold them as part of a charity she participated in...they sold their crafts and then gave the money to some organization they had picked.

Have DH's lunch packed and another four of the four-strip blocks cut. I have seven half-yard cuts of my favorite Kaffe fabrics. I was considering just making them into huge herringbones up the spine of my quilt but I don't have enough of them for a queen size and don't want to spend yet more money...so I will use them as the plain blocks between the jellyroll sets. I'm going for something like this:

Rowan Kaffe Fassett Off the Rail Quilt Kit on Craftsy Supplies! (http://www.craftsy.com/supplies/off-the-rail-quilt-kit/7229)

But with big plain cuts of yardage, too.

Andrea F
June 15th, 2015, 06:47 AM
Good morning everyone, I'm late today, it's already almost noon here. I started working right away this a.m., answering students emails and proof reading some health care proposals (don't know if this is the right expression, I mean the reports you have to write and submit when you want them to pay for the patient's therapy) for a friend who has a childrens therapist office.

I cut the pieces for last Friday's tutorial yesterday and sewed the first two blocks and they are too small and not square. ARGHHH, where the heck is that darned quarter inch seam??? I lost half an inch on those five seams per block but when I measure the seams, they all appear to be 1/4". I guess, I will have to do some ripping later today.

Sending hugs, have a wonderful day!

Oh - I almost forgot. Look what DS#2 made for me yesterday. He likes to do origami sometimes. This is the second one he made, the first one took him 4 hours to figure out. I now have my very own unicorn :D

kimsophia
June 15th, 2015, 09:05 AM
OMG, my DH does origami too! :)