PDA

View Full Version : The wildlife

Iris Girl
June 14th, 2015, 06:52 PM
So generally when hubby and I sit outside we see the hummers we feed and the usual birds, sometimes a squirrel or a rabbit, maybe even a deer on occasion. So for Mothers day this year I got a Butterfly Bush. So far we have seen these 2. As you can see very friendly, one on the deck, the little brown went from my leg to hubby's arm and back several times. Then I noticed a new bird we have not seen here before. I have not seen these in probably 35 years. Cedar Waxwing. It is a pair building their nest in our Red Maple! :)

Jean Sewing Machine
June 14th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Wonderful species to share the beautiful outdoors with! I've never seen a cedar waxwing in person!

Sandy Navas
June 14th, 2015, 07:00 PM
You have cute knees.

The only time I've seen Cedar Waxwings was when I was about 12-13 years old. We had an ornamental crab tree in our yard and the fruit had not fallen when we had our first snow. They came in bunches to feast and we enjoyed them for quite a while. Enjoy.

We've been enjoying the Carolina wrens, the nuthatches, bluebirds, and hummers so far.

tesspug
June 14th, 2015, 07:30 PM
We hung a Nyjer seed sac and now have dozens of Goldfinch. I've never seen them here before. Made me wonder what were they eating before.

DebbieDoodle
June 14th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Enjoy your butterfly bush. I had 2 beautiful ones, and by the end of summer, we had a great variety of butterflies. The bushes were only a few years old, and lost one the winter before last, and my other one didn't make it this spring. They grow very fast, and become full of flowers. The butterflies love them.

alliek
June 14th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the pictures! Really lovely,.

Iris Girl
June 15th, 2015, 05:26 AM
We hung a Nyjer seed sac and now have dozens of Goldfinch. I've never seen them here before. Made me wonder what were they eating before.

Goldfinches are so adorable. We have them along the road when you drive by all you see is a cloud of yellow flying.

Bubby
June 15th, 2015, 08:19 AM
I love hummers and waxwings though I've never seen a waxwing here. Gold finches are wonderful, too, but their black seed is pricey.

klgls
June 15th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Thanks for sharing! Love being around nature.

irishrn
June 15th, 2015, 09:45 AM
I love watching the birds. We put a bird bath in our garden outside of the dining room window. We get to watch the cardinals, Wrens and these large grey doves take a bath each day! The hot temps have really dries up the bath so quickly these last few days that we've had to fill it twice a day to stay ahead. But they are so cute fluttering all around in there!! Then hop up on the edge to preen!
Thanks for the pictures April! Watching nature is good for the soul!

Navy Wife
June 15th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Goldfinches love Sunflower seeds. Plant a few and in the fall the birds will perch on the flowers and eat the seeds right off the plant while hanging upside down. They are fascinating.

bhaggerty
June 15th, 2015, 10:40 AM
great pictures!
We have so many mean old blue jays here
(they are pretty, but so mean)
they are so territorial so we do not see too many others

WendyI
June 15th, 2015, 10:44 AM
I saw cedar waxwings in my back yard one week before I moved. First year ever I had seen them. They are beautiful!

For those feeding gold finches beware...most places recommend feeding niger seed...which comes from thistle. Make sure that it is inert! I bought cheap nigerseed and my yard was POLLUTED with thistles the following year. Thankfully I don't live there anymore but feel really bad for the guy who does! The gold finches were amazing and sometimes I would have upwards of twenty waiting their turn to feed. I miss my yard. :'(

bhaggerty
June 15th, 2015, 10:44 AM
So generally when hubby and I sit outside we see the hummers we feed and the usual birds, sometimes a squirrel or a rabbit, maybe even a deer on occasion. So for Mothers day this year I got a Butterfly Bush. So far we have seen these 2. As you can see very friendly, one on the deck, the little brown went from my leg to hubby's arm and back several times. Then I noticed a new bird we have not seen here before. I have not seen these in probably 35 years. Cedar Waxwing. It is a pair building their nest in our Red Maple! :)

also, Happy Belated Birthday!! (2 weeks ago)

buckeyequilter
June 15th, 2015, 10:45 AM
We always know when the Bluejays are coming in for a feeding, all the other birds scatter, until the Jays leave.

Genny
June 15th, 2015, 11:10 AM
I love butterflies and that bird is gorgeous! I've never had a butterfly bush...guess its time for one.

JCY
June 15th, 2015, 11:44 AM
The only time we see Cedar Waxwings is during migration. They stop for a day or two to feed on the dried crabapples. Lots of Grackles & Robins as well as the ever present sparrows (now they're mean!), lots of House Finches, some Blue Jays, quite a few Flickers, & lots of doves. An occas. Goldfinch. We also have the Downy Woodpecker. The Humming Birds head to the mts. We usually see them in Aug. when they come down, ready to migrate to warmer climate. Lots of rabbits in our neighborhood. The one that took up residence under our shed last year has stayed & raised babies. They seem to eat mostly grass & a few weeds, & have left my flower beds alone. The Monarch butterflies usually stop to feast on the Jupiter's Beard, which is blooming great this year due to a cooler, wet spring. When we had our Golden Delicious apple tree, we had a problem with raccoons coming in the yard. It always amazes me the way wildlife adapts to city life. Cities closer to the foothills of the mts. have problems with mountain lions & bears. In some areas the coyotes (even in the city) have become very daring & aggressive; people have to watch out for their small pets & children.