PDA

View Full Version : I'm so bummed, my camera died

Hulamoon
June 14th, 2015, 04:07 PM
I have an Olympus Evolt500. I got it on Ebay from a shop in New York. Very reputable. It's about 10 years old, I can't even remember. It won't focus anymore, I called the only shop here and they don't fix cameras annymore.

This was a work horse. It was my partner on Ebay and Etsy and even Craigs list. My dd's mid air shot in soccer.

I don't know what to buy. I loved having a SLR. The last pic I took was my new sewing machine and it's all blurry. The guy said it's probably a sensor.

Send it in to repair or buy. :(

Altairss
June 14th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Now I did not fix my old camera and instead bought a new SLR a cannon kit from Costco. That was about five years ago. While I love the rebel I still miss miss miss my old faithful. I still wish I had gotten it fixed and even if I had bought the new one the new ones are so different from each other I would have used them both. So you can look into who can fix it and get an idea of what it may cost and try out some cameras. I don't know if you have a Costco but they had some great kits on sale lately. Its the time of the year stores are selling down the old models for the ones coming out I think its September. Read up on reviews and see if it has the features you want. If you can get your hands on a few the weight and hand grips are all over the place and its really nice to have one with a comfortable feel. Decide what you can't live with out. I love interchangeable lenses and have to have the mount for tripod. Button size can be a big factor we were checking out some a few weeks ago and some had such tiny buttons it was hard to do things on the fly without bumping more then one.

It sounds like your really attached to the old one so its definitely worth checking into fixing it but if do to its age it may be having more frequent trips into be fixed a back up that you can get to now may be nice. Good luck

Hulamoon
June 14th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Thanks.I sent an email to see a possible cost.I just can't do another $1,500 right now. For some reason this is the year of replacements

microwave
printer
sewing machine
camera
my wrist, lol

Sandy Navas
June 14th, 2015, 07:18 PM
I've got a Nikon Cool-Pix but find that the camera on my telephone takes better pictures . . .

Any Best Buy stores on your island?

Hulamoon
June 14th, 2015, 08:18 PM
I've got a Nikon Cool-Pix but find that the camera on my telephone takes better pictures . . .

Any Best Buy stores on your island?

No, that's why the Ebay purchase. I got an auto message,so I'll wait for a reply.If it's only a couple of hundred I'm going to go for it. I have two expensive lenses, so I don't want to waste them.

I don't own a cell. I know, last girl standing.

Sandy Navas
June 14th, 2015, 09:37 PM
No, that's why the Ebay purchase. I got an auto message,so I'll wait for a reply.If it's only a couple of hundred I'm going to go for it. I have two expensive lenses, so I don't want to waste them.

No, not last girl standing. Probably qualify for last sane girl standing!!!

SewnByBee
June 14th, 2015, 09:43 PM
you might triBes Buy it some where that sells electronics use to be able to get them prepared, not sure if you can now but it might be a resource to inquire, they could point you in the right direction. Sorry and good luck.
I've been taking pics with my Kindle Fire, sure is convenient for pulling up
my pieces , a little backward standing on my head at times, haha.

K. McEuen
June 14th, 2015, 09:58 PM

Check this out first ...
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Evolt-E500-Digital-Body/dp/B000BK393Y/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1434329717&sr=8-8&keywords=olympus+evolt+500

Hulamoon
June 14th, 2015, 11:01 PM
Check this out first ...
Amazon.com : Olympus Evolt E500 8MP Digital SLR (Body Only) : Slr Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo (http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Evolt-E500-Digital-Body/dp/B000BK393Y/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1434329717&sr=8-8&keywords=olympus+evolt+500)

Wow! That might be a better solution. Thanks sooo much!

No wonder the kit is expensive, it's the lenses.

K. McEuen
June 14th, 2015, 11:16 PM
That camera body is used, but so is yours at this point. It is being sold by a camera shop, so I'm sure they went over it.

Angelia
June 14th, 2015, 11:25 PM

I'm standing there with you! :)