PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Heads Up . . . It's Sunday!!!

Sandy Navas
June 14th, 2015, 10:54 AM

Not much planned for the day - Have to be up and moving because if I sit too long I can't move!!

Back to the sewing room today. Someone is pushing me to be doing some quilt top finishes!!

Al and I went to a little town NW of us yesterday for their city-wide garage sale. We came home without spending a penny. At one place Al whispered to me, "amazing how we've all become hoarders of junk". The only thing I saw that I even considered bringing home was a sewing machine chair with a back on it. You all know the ones that don't have wheels on them and the top lifts off for storage. A lot of the older machines in cabinets came with one. If this one had the storage dividers it would be here now. But, I reasoned I already had two without backs and truly didn't need to spend the $2. I honestly thought that by being in an off the mainstream farming community I'd find a lot of quilting fabric, maybe a machine or two . . . alas, not.

Sure hoping everyone has a wonderful day!!

JCY
June 14th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Normally I'd be headed to church now, but I'm staying home today, for the 2nd Sun. in a row. Still recovering from an upper resp. virus. Not coughing as much, & gradually feeling better, but still not back to par. I really hope I'll feel well enough to do a little sewing today. The sun is out. It was 96 yest., so summer's here. Hard to believe we're almost to the summer solstice, & the days will start getting shorter again. I hope everyone has a good day.

CarolynK
June 14th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Good Morning, Sandy and all!

I was out all day yesterday in Wichita for hair appointment and the usual once a month errands. There is a new Costco on one of the corners by Beechcraft and holy cow - it looked like a beehive! I'll wait until the newness wears off before I tackle that crowd. I'm pretty sure it would send me over the edge and I know my limits.

Sandy, I have one of those sewing chairs. I don't use it and it sits in a corner but it came with an old sewing cabinet at a garage sale years ago. I recovered the cushion.

Probably not much sewing until later today. Making beef vegetable soup for lunches this week and cookies for the hubs to celebrate his 60th birthday. He's not a cake fan so hence the cookies.

Lots of rain here lately and more this week but we need it so it's good.

Have a great day and week ahead all! Hugs and smiles!

Carolyn

rebeccas-sewing
June 14th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Joe and I just got back from a trip to Bavaria. We stayed in a countryside hotel that served the most fantastic food, delicious wine and beer. I saw some beautiful scenery. Drove about 100 mph on the Autobahn. Enjoyed beautiful architecture in a town called Burghausen and in a city by the name of Wurzburg. We're recovering today from our travels. Eating light after all that German goodness. Here's a few photos for you to enjoy.

Genny
June 14th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Morning everyone! DH and I have been married 29 years today...wow...where does time go! I imagine our girls will come over this afternoon but other then that we are just going to sit around and relax.

Have a wonderful day!

MRoy
June 14th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Happy Anniversary Genny!! I hope you have a great day with your family.

Rebecca, your pics are beautiful. I've never traveled abroad, so I really enjoy seeing someone else's photos of the sites.

DH and I may go fishing later today if the pop-up thunderstorms we've been having in the afternoons don't roll in later.

Cathy F
June 14th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Rebecca what beautiful county side! Thanks for sharing them.

Genny- Happy Anniversary!

Hope to keep the momentum going in the sewing room today. Have more quilts that need binding, sooner I do them the sooner they get done and off the UFO pile!

Leslie333
June 14th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Good morning!

JCY - Hope your recovery keeps going in a positive direction.
Rebecca - Loved the pictures. Thanks for sharing them.
Genny - Happy Anniversary!

I've started off the morning working on piecing the backing of my quilt that I had planned for yesterday. Best laid plans and all....errands and DS got in the way, but it was all good. When my college boy spends a few afternoon hours here and not out with friends I take advantage of seeing him for a bit.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 14th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Good morning! My son is in town hoping to see a baseball game! Unless the Cardinals are wanting to play underwater, it doesn't look too promising for playing, because it is pouring! But the game doesn't start for a couple of hours, so thus will probably pass by then.

Rebecca, your photos are amazing! That beautiful edifice high on the hill reminds me of the monastery in Melk, a beautiful place on the Danube, which we saw in Nov. 2013! We were in eastern Austria and Germany and saw some beautiful places!

I have a pattern for a quilt that calls for 78 flying geese. I have never had much luck with flying geese in the past doing them the traditional way. But I have the Eleanor Burns Flying geese ruler, and I watched both Jenny's and Eleanor's tutorials on making them, and I am a convert for sure! The only thing is, you do have to make them certain sizes to use her rulers. But, she demonstrated the way to measure them using a square up ruler, so I imagine you can make variable sizes and can cut them using that. In her method, you make 4 at a time. Whoever figured that technique out in the first place is a genius in my mind! It is totally counter intuitive!

I will visit with my son, then to the sewing room to trim the rest of my flock of geese. The quilt I am making is for a young woman who spent the last two Yeats in Africa as a missionary. She's coming home at the end of the month, and her grandma wanted me to make it for her as a coming home gift. It is made from ethnic fabrics, and I hope to incorporate a beautiful African panel into the quilt somehow.

Hope the rain stops soon, it seems to be letting up now. Have a good day!

irishrn
June 14th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Morning all from sunny and HOT NC!! Our temps are expected to be high 90's to over 100 for several of the next few days!
Wishing happy anniversary to Genny. Hope you feel better JCY! Thanks for the beautiful pictures Rebecca!
Happy sewing to all who can today :-)

Coming into the home stretch with preparations for the bedroom flooring. They will deliver the wood tomorrow to acclimate to the house then it all gets crazy Wednesday morning. DH is not cooperating at all and that is making it very difficult indeed. I should be in there washing the walls down but DH is still asleep at 1115 am. Yesterday he slept till 2 pm. ( see the problem!!)
Monday and Tuesday we have doctor appointments making the time line very short!
On top of that the dog is bringing in lone star ticks which is making me crazy! So my DD and her BF are picking up the stuff we need to treat the lawn. Never had this problem before in all the years we have lived here and all the dogs we've had. But this guy is into every nook and cranny of the yard and picking up the little hitch hikers! YUCK!!! Going out to get spray for him so we can at least discourage them from hitching a ride home!
Hate to wish my life away, but I really need to go to sleep and wake up next Sunday when all the mess is over!!

So happy sunny skies to all. Hope you have a good week. May not be around after Tuesday for a bit!!

Carrie J
June 14th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Morning All.......Happy Sunday! Enjoying coffee at the moment and a late get-up, what Sunday is all about! Hope everyone one has a great day! :D

Iris Girl
June 14th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Morning all. Hope everyone is having a great day. Sunny here with laundry out drying and we made a trip to walmart/home depot in another town since ours didn't have the items we needed.

Bubby
June 14th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Morning,

Rebecca, thank you for sharing the beautiful photos of Bavaria! The architecture, stonework and landscapes are fabulous. Lucky Girl you get to see it all firsthand. I always enjoys the pictures you post. Jeff loves looking at them, too.

ceiliam
June 14th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Morning all Ginny happy anniversary. JC get feeling better. Rebecca love the pictures. Tired today spent the last 2 days at Panguich quilt walk. Decided to try something different so made a bag and tried Hawaiian applicay. Now I tried them both and know neither are for me. I admire anyone who does both. My bag is almost done and will be my one and only bag. I did enjoy the time and I do like to learn New things it gives me chances to learn. I hope you all have a wonderful day. Cecelia

bhaggerty
June 14th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Good Morning all!

Happy Anniversary Genny!
JCY - Hope you are recovering well
Rebecca - those pictures are amazing!
Jean- good luck on those geese, you can always try Ricky Timms method of 1 seam flying geese too - super quick and easy but uses more fabric.

we went to church last night, took the dogs on a walk and 2 min after we were inside a terrible rainstorm hit without any warning! crazy rain this year!

put a binding on one of my ufo's this am so I am happy!

now to load a quilt on my frame, so if I am inclined to quilt it ... it will be ready to go!

RockinLou
June 14th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Goodnight, friends! By next Sunday night I'll be back in North America and on the same time table as the rest of you!

We had a picnic at breakfast time this morning, which was FUN, and did a significant amount of work to avoid packing. Laundry has been tumbling, toys have been put up and delicious meals have been made, yet I still haven't gotten much further along in packing. The reassuring thing is that pretty much no matter what happens to be forgotten in our suitcase, it's probably easily replaced upon arrival :)

Five more days of school, a work day, and then we head back west....

Other than our breakfast picnic I also took the kids for afternoon bike rides, it was lots of fun to get out and avoid the work in the house! Of course, I won't pack an item for DH, but I bear the responsibility for packing the kids up and thinking through what we all need. And DH wonders why it takes me so long :/. C'est last vie! I'm going to take the more challenging child on the first flight out so that the second flight I can stitch some hexies. I also hear a rumor that there is a Starbucks on the Frankfurt terminal we will fly through, so I'm really happy about that :)

Navy Wife
June 14th, 2015, 01:17 PM
I love the pictures, Rebecca. The first one reminds me of a little hotel and restaurant in Fussen. We spent the night there with 3 rug rats back in the 60's. Brings back such great memories.

We had an inspection of the crawl space under the house and have to have a lot of work done. It's all full of mold and other nasty stuff. They will clean it out, and seal everything up. Our allergies should improve along with lots of squeaks and groans from the floor. It had better work. It's costing as much as my new SUV would have. I'll just keep driving the Buick. It only has 35000 on it, and I can use DH's SUV or DS's F-150 truck. I have to carry a step stool to get in that one!

We're having Low Country Shrimp Boil tonight. DS#1 brought back fresh shrimp from the Gulf yesterday, so we're going to their house for dinner.

pcbatiks
June 14th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Hi everyone..........just thought I would check in and say good morning............with a few minutes to spare.

It poured rain off and on all day yesterday........with rain predicted all week.

The lady is charge of the annual book sale that I help with called Friday and said books are already being donated for next years sale in the spring! I hope to go work on some of that tomorrow if the weather isn't too bad.

This past week has been a long one.......a prayer or two would be appreciated.

Hugs and prayers to friends in need of them. And hugs are great anytime.......don't you think. :)

klgls
June 14th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Joe and I just got back from a trip to Bavaria. We stayed in a countryside hotel that served the most fantastic food, delicious wine and beer. I saw some beautiful scenery. Drove about 100 mph on the Autobahn. Enjoyed beautiful architecture in a town called Burghausen and in a city by the name of Wurzburg. We're recovering today from our travels. Eating light after all that German goodness. Here's a few photos for you to enjoy.

This brings back some great memories. My husband (now ex) was stationed in Germany for 2 years with the army and I got to do a lot of sightseeing. Loved Wurzburg. Thanks for sharing!