PDA

View Full Version : Wendy, why didn't you warn me

Carol336
June 14th, 2015, 06:10 AM
OMG - the move was yesterday.....every bone in my body hurts. And, going from 3,000 sq ft down to 1,500 sq ft is really really hard to do. We spent the last 6 months cleaning out, purging, paring down. Our house was so empty you could hear echos. The only furniture he moved was 2 bedrooms, kithen, office and a few minor cabinets and bookcases. Well let me tell you, it looks like a boat load of stuff in our new condo. Looks like we have a lot more cleaning out and purging to do.

And the sitting area in the master bedroom that is eventually going to be my sewing area is now crammed wall to wall, floor to ceiling with boxes, furniture (that I thought I needed - NOT) and just stuff in general. Doesn't look like I'll be sewing anytime soon!!!

The good thing is - we can now slow down and take our time....no deadlines to meet. Two of y dear sisters helped me put the kitchen in order, and the beds are up - so we can eat and sleep - sounds good to me.

Seriously though - we love our new condo, and are excited about getting it fixed up just the way we want it....one day at a time.

Bubby
June 14th, 2015, 06:24 AM
Carol, It sounds like the hard part is behind you and the fun part is ahead of you. I love setting up a new home and letting go of some things that others can use and enjoy. I hope you can sew again soon.

doloresbeger
June 14th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Carol, It sounds like the hard part is behind you and the fun part is ahead of you. I love setting up a new home and letting go of some things that others can use and enjoy. I hope you can sew again soon.

We did the same thing 2 years ago. Had lived in a big house on 3 1/2 acres and downsized to a villa with about the same sq foot as yours except I do have a basement which is where my sewing room is. It is about half the size I had before. Buttt I make do. Love not having to have my husband out in the woods cutting down trees at his age. He thought he could do that until he died. Was afraid that my happen if a tree went the wrong way. Just glad it is done. We purged a lot and gave away a lot of stuff. Hope you will be happy once all the work is done.

Carol336
June 14th, 2015, 03:36 PM
Worked our butts off to get the kitchen up and running and now we're too tired to cook - LOL.

It's starting to look a little civilized in here, but we still have a long way to go. I figure we'll be done by Thanksgiving - LOL. It really is exciting though, organizing and planning the things we're going to do and buy.

laura44
June 14th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Bless your heart, I am doing it too. Opposite- moving to a much bigger
house, but it is 2 hours away. I am slowing transferring items up there.
The fabric alone fills a room, lol.
So far I am just stacking things in the new living room, waiting for the
unpacking fairies to do the work.

alliek
June 14th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Moving is difficult, but you will be settled soon enough. Each day you wake will bring new joy in your new home. Many Blessings for years of happiness and health.

easyquilts
June 14th, 2015, 11:11 PM
Carol.... Moving is awful... Especially when you have to get rid of a lof of stuff.... I'm glad to hear you love your condo, and hope your sewing space will be ready soon....

Carol336
June 15th, 2015, 05:41 AM
So far I am just stacking things in the new living room, waiting for the
unpacking fairies to do the work.

Oh thank God there are packing fairies......I'LL be so happy when mine get here!!!!

rebeccas-sewing
June 15th, 2015, 05:59 AM
We want to eventually move out of southern California. The thought of it makes me get very anxious. I imagine we'll downsize and that will really be tough. I can well imagine what you're going through and I don't look forward to the day I share your experience. My problem is my attachment to things I can't even imagine having to part with but know it's going to be necessary.

Carol336
June 15th, 2015, 06:32 AM
Rebecca - I felt the same way. The first thing I got rid of was my collection of cook books which numbered about 350. I loved them, started collecting right out of high school. But one day I realized that I simply didn't use them anymore, if I wanted a recipe I went to the internet....so with the exception of a few favorites, good bye cookbooks. I tried to sell them on ebay - no go....local online flea markets....no go, so I took them to the local book drop and dedcuted them from my taxes.

After that it seemed much easier to let things go.....and in fact it felt good and kinda of freeing. I think I realized that it was just stuff...and most was stuff I really didn't need, want or have room for any more.....so out it went.....to the kids, friends, goodwill and yes even the dump. The only thing I couldn't part with was the boxes and boxes and boxes of photos, even though most are stored in totes in the garage and haven't been looked at in years....just gonna let the kids worry with them when we're gone - LOL

Quiltfreestyle
June 15th, 2015, 01:03 PM
We are starting the purge cycle too.. Our last son & family will be leaving the area next week. No reason to stay in California with all my kids & grandkids gone to other places so we've decided to sell the house & move closer to them. Lucky the house prices in CA are totally ridiculous. We should net enough to buy a house in Arizona & another in Oregon. Then we will travel between the two places.
But the big thing is clearing out all the stuff collected over the last 30 years we've been in this house..
My DH is somewhat of a hoarder so this isn't going to be easy or fast,, just going to take it one room at a time.

WendyI
June 15th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Sorry Carol! LOL! I thought I posted a death after the move thread! LOL! I"M STLL procrastinating on unpacking! I sort of have my sewing room setup but still have a LOT left to do. So believe me I feel your pain! It's utterly exhausting! I definitely feel for you. Getting the kitchen and bedrooms set up in my books is an absolute positive! Everything else is gravy! Good luck!

Carol336
June 15th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Sorry Carol! LOL! I thought I posted a death after the move thread! LOL! I"M STLL procrastinating on unpacking! I sort of have my sewing room setup but still have a LOT left to do. So believe me I feel your pain! It's utterly exhausting! I definitely feel for you. Getting the kitchen and bedrooms set up in my books is an absolute positive! Everything else is gravy! Good luck!

LOL - you probably did post a death after the move thread, but I was busy packing and purging!!! We do have the kitchen somewhat functional, and the beds are up....made a ton of progress today....but oh my Lord, there is so much more to do. It'll get done sooner or later I guess.

SuzyQue
June 15th, 2015, 04:32 PM
I haven't moved in 23 years and I am thinking that is a bad thing.......till I read this thread. We have accumulated so much stuff because we had plenty of storage. I am purging through my house, though. No need to have all this stuff that no one is using. I definitely don't want to burden the kids after I am gone. I am thinking the actual move might be easier than this purging! It is tough trying to decide what to keep and what goes.

Amarillo19
June 15th, 2015, 04:45 PM
The last time we moved was our 7th move, all to different states. All but the last were job related, and the last was to be near my husband's elderly parents. Now we've been here almost 15 years and his parents have passed away. All our four kids and eight grand kids live far away. Why are we staying here? I'd like to move but the thought of going through it all again just makes me feel tired. However, I think moves are good for us because it gets us out of our ruts.

quiltingtrish
June 15th, 2015, 09:05 PM
I love decluttering. Did a lot of it a few years ago and time to do it again. I'm hoping to work in the basement some day later this week. I don't want to leave the kids too much stuff. I know there will be some because DH insists on keeping certain things in case they are worth money. Uh-huh, is my reply to that.
What keeps me going is my DH helping an older couple clean out their stuff to move into a smaller place. The trash mail from 10 years ago is unbelievable. We are burning it for them, I'm afraid I will burn out a shredder getting rid of their names on it. We also got piles of books and magazines they don't want, so I'll donate the books to the library and the magazines go in a large recycle container specifically for them.
He does this often, helps older folks who have no one to help them. I've told him he should turn it in to a business.