PDA

View Full Version : Question about hair

RockinLou
June 13th, 2015, 02:58 AM
I am getting my hair styled this afternoon because of a special event tonight at work.

Should I wash my hair or not wash my hair before having it done? I kind of vaguely remember my mom always saying that I shouldn't wash it so it stays up better. Does it matter??

bubba
June 13th, 2015, 03:01 AM
If you are going to a salon, they will probably wash it there, don't you think?

snippet
June 13th, 2015, 04:08 AM
Don't wash it. Second day hair is best for styling. And if the stylist needs it squeaky clean, they can wash it.

Amy R
June 13th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Yep no washy washy!!! It'll hold up better. Enjoy your event!

Hulamoon
June 13th, 2015, 12:16 PM
I had to go to a salon just to get my hair washed (broken wrist) I wonder how many times they run across that. lol

Have fun!

songbird857
June 13th, 2015, 12:45 PM
I've actually been washing my hair less these days - once a week, twice at most. I find that it is pretty healthy this way! I agree with Carol - don't wash; they can wash at the salon if they really need to.

Hulamoon
June 13th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Has any one tried Wen? I'm really curious about it.

Deegles
June 13th, 2015, 01:27 PM
I love threads like this....so completely random! I took cosmetology and found that dirty hair styles better, but that is because all the mouse and hairspray in the hair already. I don't think it matters anymore. The hair care products out there you could make your head look like a topiary tree if you wanted to. Some women wash their hair before they go so they are not embarrassed by their dirty hair (there once was this etiquette of being clean, neat, prim, and proper, but now all the sloppiness with wearing pajamas in public and just tying your hair up and not combing it {I do this}, It doesn't matter as much), but that is why they shampoo it. If my grandparents went to the grocery store they would shower and wear nice clothes. Nowadays, you just show up at the store in your most comfortable looking like you just rolled out of bed, the difference between now and then it is social accepted, back then you would be shunned.

Hulamoon
June 13th, 2015, 01:37 PM
My parents would wear suits and high heels on a plane trip. My dad dressed so nice all his life and alway's bought me the nicest clothes. Now I'm in flip flops and tee's and shorts.

So back to Wen.Is that a good product?

ilive2craft2
June 13th, 2015, 01:39 PM
I have heard good things about wren, but haven't tried it myself - would love to hear some more reviews of it.

bubba
June 13th, 2015, 01:55 PM
My parents would wear suits and high heels on a plane trip. My dad dressed so nice all his life and alway's bought me the nicest clothes. Now I'm in flip flops and tee's and shorts.

I have never tried it, but Lord knows I've watched the infomercial enough that I could sell it! I have several friends who swear by it.

easyquilts
June 13th, 2015, 02:24 PM
I am getting my hair styled this afternoon because of a special event tonight at work.

Should I wash my hair or not wash my hair before having it done? I kind of vaguely remember my mom always saying that I shouldn't wash it so it stays up better. Does it matter??

My stylist always washes my hair, before he cuts it.... My favorite part of the whole process. I'd let your stylist wash your hair...

dizzyLiz
June 13th, 2015, 02:33 PM
WEN is the best thing since sliced bread. Yes I admit I am a Wen girl. I've been using it about 5 years now. When I started going through menopause, my hair changed entirely. All my life it had been thick ( could only put a hair band around it twice thick), healthy, slightly wavey health hair. Since menopause it is thin, brittle and FRIZZY. Wen has made a huge difference.

Tip: you can purchase wen from qvc and is so much cheaper. Every year during the month of June you can buy it by the gallon. That is how I buy it. A gallon last dh and I about 13 months. It seems pricey, but when you average out the cost it is about the same as higher end drug store shampoo. I highly recommend

amartin24
June 13th, 2015, 02:40 PM
WEN is the best thing since sliced bread. Yes I admit I am a Wen girl. I've been using it about 5 years now. When I started going through menopause, my hair changed entirely. All my life it had been thick ( could only put a hair band around it twice thick), healthy, slightly wavey health hair. Since menopause it is thin, brittle and FRIZZY. Wen has made a huge difference.

Tip: you can purchase wen from qvc and is so much cheaper. Every year during the month of June you can buy it by the gallon. That is how I buy it. A gallon last dh and I about 13 months. It seems pricey, but when you average out the cost it is about the same as higher end drug store shampoo. I highly recommend

I'm about in the same boat as you and my hair is definitely changing too. I've never tried Wen. What Wen products exactly do you use - shampoo and conditioner? Do you use any of the styling products? I love Macadamia oil but it is Very expensive.

GrammaBabs
June 13th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Really,,,, i've heard mixed reviews... (of course isn't that always the way?)
As i've aged,, my hair is very oily... drives me nuts and i wash it with "Prell"... go figure,,, I don't color or use product...
I do wear a "piece" clipped to the ponytail of my own hair cause it's just not enough "hair" for me...LOL (I should be from Texas i've been told).... no critics please... it's a joke...:))))

Doloris
June 13th, 2015, 02:50 PM
their ad says they send it to you automatically every 12 weeks and charge your credit card $30 every 4 weeks. That is $90 per bottle. Too much for me
Also found a class action lawsuit that it causes hair loss.
If you try it please research it well.

RockinLou
June 13th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Well, it wasn't a salon and stylist, it was a little kiosk in the mall, but I ended up not having time to wash it. None of them really cared... They did my hair in about ten minutes for about ten dollars!

My friend took a picture of it for me (sorry for her messy house). And then there's hubby and I outside the hotel where we had the banquet.

Midge
June 13th, 2015, 03:21 PM

Lorie I have been using Wen products for about 4 years now. I started after I was sick and had a drug reaction and lost hair. My hair has never been in such good condition. I also started to use it because of all the health concerns about using products containing sodium laureth sulfate (bladder cancer started showing up in my family). I just decided that I could eliminate some of the nasty stuff and started looking for soaps and shampoos without it. A friend who also has curly hair put me on to it. Very high quality products, imo. But there is a learning curve, and don't fail to understand that and take the time to learn how to use the products properly. Also, there are some counterfeits out there. Don't buy on ebay, you don't know what you are getting. Do buy on QVC. And do watch Chaz's videos explaining the products and how to use them. If you decide to get started with Wen, there are occasional promotions where you can stock up for less $. I love the stuff.

Hulamoon
June 13th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Lorie I have been using Wen products for about 4 years now. I started after I was sick and had a drug reaction and lost hair. My hair has never been in such good condition. I also started to use it because of all the health concerns about using products containing sodium laureth sulfate (bladder cancer started showing up in my family). I just decided that I could eliminate some of the nasty stuff and started looking for soaps and shampoos without it. A friend who also has curly hair put me on to it. Very high quality products, imo. But there is a learning curve, and don't fail to understand that and take the time to learn how to use the products properly. Also, there are some counterfeits out there. Don't buy on ebay, you don't know what you are getting. Do buy on QVC. And do watch Chaz's videos explaining the products and how to use them. If you decide to get started with Wen, there are occasional promotions where you can stock up for less $. I love the stuff.

What a good review. So sorry about the cancer. :( It hit three in my family, all from smoking,. How eer it starts it ends up other other places. Sun is the enemy here so I limit myself.

I'll check out QVC. I can split it with my dd who lives close by. Her hair is healthy enough being on prenatal meds though. Best nails I ever had was beeing pregnant!

Midge
June 13th, 2015, 04:22 PM
What a good review. So sorry about the cancer. :( It hit three in my family, all from smoking,. How eer it starts it ends up other other places. Sun is the enemy here so I limit myself.

I'll check out QVC. I can split it with my dd who lives close by. Her hair is healthy enough being on prenatal meds though. Best nails I ever had was beeing pregnant!

OMG yes. Best hair and nails when pregnant - worst hair when nursing!

You just missed a promotion recently for Wen. They run them several times a year. It's called Today's Special Value or TSV. I get an email alert for it. The price cut is significant when it's a TSV, but you have to jump in or it might be sold out. I recommend you use Chaz's product finder to determine which formula of Wen might work best for your type of hair. Yes they are different! It can take some trial and error to find what you like. They have the basic formulas and then a line they call seasonals that change the scent 4 times a year. Some seasonals I like, others not so much. I'm learning to be choosy about that. I think a good place to start is with a basic kit or even just a single bottle of cleansing conditioner. I love their styling cream and mousse, which I need for my fine hair, but that might be something you could skip. Also, if you have any hair or scalp issues at all, the treatment oils are phenomenal. Expensive, but they cure what ails you, all over the skin and hair. I wait for the TSV to buy oils or sometimes they run a special kit called One Time Only which is a sales price for a kit. Also a good time to try a different formula.

dizzyLiz
June 13th, 2015, 06:11 PM
The Wen products; the cleansing conditioner is just that- cleans and conditions. You can even use a small amount as a leave in conditioner. I've also used and love the styling creme, and the intensive conditioner. And as another lady posted there is a learning curve, as each persons hair is different. I do think if you've never tried it, then start with kit. I just saw a ad on tv for a kit for 29.95 plus free shipping from wen.com .
As for cost; I bought a gallon last week for $188. Sounds expensive; but this will last my dh and I at least 13 months/ that comes out to 14.46 per month.......I used to spend that at the drug store on hair products

Midge
June 13th, 2015, 06:27 PM
I'm about in the same boat as you and my hair is definitely changing too. I've never tried Wen. What Wen products exactly do you use - shampoo and conditioner? Do you use any of the styling products? I love Macadamia oil but it is Very expensive.

Wen is NOT shampoo. It is a cleansing conditioner. You don't use a separate rinse out or leave in conditioner with Wen. The styling products are just fantastic. There are definite instructions on how to use it - if you buy a kit it comes with a CD and everything comes with a booklet with specific directions. Someone else mentioned using Wen when menopause changed her hair. I was dealing with the menopause hair nightmare when I became ill, and after a lot of heavy duty meds, I lost a lot of hair on top of everything else. That is when my friend gave me some of her Wen to try and I have never looked back.

They are doing some promos after all today on QVC. That is the fastest way to get up to speed with Wen and figure out what formula might work best for you. Check out the QVC channel at 10P. Good luck!

Hulamoon
June 13th, 2015, 07:04 PM
Thanks Midge!

amartin24
June 13th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the Wen info!

Iris Girl
June 14th, 2015, 08:26 AM
their ad says they send it to you automatically every 12 weeks and charge your credit card $30 every 4 weeks. That is $90 per bottle. Too much for me
Also found a class action lawsuit that it causes hair loss.
If you try it please research it well.

I have to agree. I never went for all the salon products for my hair. Have always done my own coloring and most my own cutting. Just could never justify the $$ spent on having it done. My hair is naturally curly and baby fine. It is silky and soft. Even now letting my gray grow its also silky and soft and not unruly as I heard it would be. Of course having curly hair has its own set of rules. But I learned to live with it. I hate product in my hair always makes it stiff and sticky, prefer soft and silky even if its all over the place.
More money for fabric :)

ejgilly
June 14th, 2015, 05:37 PM
I would love to be able to use Wen. It does make the hair nice, fuller and shinny,BUT there is something in it that makes me itch like crazy!