• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kimsophia
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2014

Sleepy Night Owl

This is one night owl who needs a nap on the couch! How is everyone? I was helping a friend with laundry when half a dozen emergency vehicles roared by with the sirens blaring. Turns out there was a shooting at the mall a mile away. Fortunately the shooter was captured. He shot one specific woman and ran. So that was scary and tragic! Remember her in your prayers!

I should be getting more rotary cutter blades and some sticky dots for the back of my ruler by Sunday. So weird that the post office delivers packages on Sunday now. Until then I can iron up my background squares.

How is it in your nest?
  • Andrea F
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2013

Re: Sleepy Night Owl

Good morning! I haven't been sleeping well and DH's snoring woke me up. I have been sleeping on and off all day yesterday and then not so well last night, I also might have caught a little stomach bug. It was too warm to really sleep well yesterday. Sometimes, I wish I had AC, *sigh*.
    Definitely want to get some sewing done today but my nest is dusty and untidy, so doing household chores and mountains of laundry first. All my windows need to be washed. But when it's sunny outside, you can't do that to prevent them from getting stripes, right?!

Kim, I would be scared for days if somebody shoots somebody here. Glad they caught him right away. Will keep that poor woman in my thoughts.
    I'm always kind of irritated when I hear you girls are getting mail on Sundays or are going grocery shopping or so. The stores are closed on Sundays here and besides restaurants and bars nothing is opened here on Sundays. Our stores also close between 7 and 10 p.m., depending on what kind of store it is. Once or twice a year we have a shopping Sunday here (only the bigger stores in the core of our city) and that's like a big party then. Mostly there will be other fun stuff around, too.

Wishing everybody a good night and we'll see us when you wake up!

Comment

• stationarymom
      Missouri Star
      • Jun 2013

Hi Kim
      I am sorry you had to go through that scare earlier,but I am glad they caught the shooter.We live in such a tragic world sometimes.I'm just starting to read the forum for the day ,I'm awful late today.Things are good here in my nest everyone is sleeping as usual but me.I stayed with my friends mother tonight while the family went to a wake for their cousin,she died at age 50 from metastatic breast cancer.It is a sad case because she was fighting the breast cancer and doing very well ,until they told her that she now had skin cancer.
      :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

• stationarymom
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2013

Andrea I hope you feel better soon.
        :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

• kimsophia
          Missouri Star
          • Oct 2014

One dead at mall shooting, suspect captured.
          UPDATE: One confirmed dead in Coral Ridge Mall shooting | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather

Comment

• bubba
            Missouri Star
            • Mar 2013

My day started with the grandest of plans. Then MM asked me if I would run an errand for him. How could I say no? I have nothing else to do! So off I went to the auditors office to pick up tabs for the truck. My sister works there, so after I pulled my number, I walked to her counter to tell her hi. Well, her counter is 30' away, but still in the same room from the clerks who issue the tabs. However, you can not hear them call your number unless you are in the area in front of the tab counter!!! Who knew?? Turns out she was on break, so I did not even see her! I was really looking to see her reaction to my purple hair because she does not know I did it...hee hee hee. I immediately walked back to where I needed to be and I heard them call a # so I looked to see if they had gotten to me yet....yep! They sure had and passed me by! I pull another # (did I mention if you renew your tabs online you normally only have to wait a minute or two to be called?). They called my new # about 30 seconds later and I was on my way.

Headed to the man store (Harbor Freight). They put that store right next door to one of my favorite craft stores so I saw 'shiny thing' and went in there first. Big mistake! It wasn't until I was back in my car and a mile down the road before I realized I had not gone in the man store

I continued on my way because I had heard of a new shop in the area that I had not been to. I did not have the address, but knew its approximate location. Oh, I could not remember it's name either! So here I am driving down one of the busiest streets out in Lakewood and pulled in where I thought it should be. Did not see it. I parked and looked on my phone. Could not find anything. Went around the block, which was huge, probably half a mile and drove down the busy street again. Still did not see it. Went a little further before turning back and going around more blocks. Down the busy street again........oh!!! There it was! Around the block I go for the fourth time wondering if anyone has called me in for suspicious activity yet and if they had curious as to if I would know Lakewood's finest when they pulled me over. Well, I made it back to where I wanted to be with no excitement.

As I pulled into the lot, a little boy about three years old pokes his head out and looks like he is going to make a run for it and there I sit wondering if I can move fast enough with my gimpy foot to catch him before he gets to the busy street 15 feet away and gets hit by a car. Luckily, his aunt popped out and grabbed him! I went inside to find a very cute shop and I knew right away that I was going to like it!

(Excuse me, I have to chase a farting dog away from my near vicinity...)

I looked around and her displays are wonderful! The back where the flannels were got a little dark, but they just opened about six months ago and they are still expanding and making small improvements. Anyway, I was very pleased by what I saw. All the fabrics are cute and bright and cheerful....no civil war or reproductions to be seen! And what a selection of fat quarters! I picked out five as there was a special if you got that amount and I plan on making some more NCW's w/them. I then went to pay and that's where my day took a major turn!

We started talking and I asked if she had any classes or clubs, but she does not yet. She asked me what I was interested in and I told her that if she wanted to have bag classes to feel free to give me a call and I'd be more than happy to teach them and gave her a card. Well, now my bag caught her eye. It's a crossbody I made last year out of linen from Japan that I got while in Hawaii. Then she saw my cute little wrist wallet. Then the chat was on! About two hours later I was leaving with a pair of pajama's (ugly ones at that) and five and a half yards of cute fabric (which I did not have to pay for). Seems a woman came in who is quite wealthy, and like Larry Hagman and Hugh Hefner, she likes to wear pajamas to lounge in when she is at home. She pays $300 a pair for them!!! She wanted to know if this gal might be able to make some for her and she said what she was willing to pay....oh, and the shop owner does not have time to do it and she wants between six and eight pair of them!!! So, if the first pair come out as I expect them to, I'll be making a nice chunk of change making pajamas. Plus it sounds like I'll be teaching classes too! Then she asked if I knew how to use a standup longarm!!! Her and her husband are planning on getting one for the shop, but she does not have the time to learn on it, so of course I told her I'd come out and the sales person can show me and I will teach people so they can rent it!!!!

After this day, I never did get any sewing done, but I know I made a new friend!
            Last edited by bubba; June 12, 2015, 11:45 PM.
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Andrea F
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2013

Oh my god, that's terrible. People in there must be traumatized.

Thanks Joan, I think it's already better. I'm sorry for your friend's loss. You are such a good friend to her, taking care of her mum so much!

Edited to add:
              Oh Pat, how cool is that. You will be a busy woman!
              Last edited by Andrea F; June 12, 2015, 11:47 PM.

Comment

• ilive2craft2
                Missouri Star
                • Oct 2012

Kimsophia - that is so scary! Glad the suspect has been apprehended.

Andrea - I have to say that my standards for housework have slipped since I started sewing. I would much rather spend time sewing than doing a chore that no one else in the house will notice if it is done or not. Hope your stomach bug is gone quickly!

Joan - so sorry for your friends family. You are a good friend to stay with her mom and I know she really appreciates it.

Pat - what an amazing day! How are you going to have time for all of that with all of your bag making? I bet that owner is so excited to have met you today.

I worked a bit on the dog bed I am making for our golden retriever. I just need to sew the opening closed, but I am going to head to bed, instead.
                Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

• bubba
                  Missouri Star
                  • Mar 2013

Oh!! I forgot....she wants to sell my purses/totes/wallets in her shop! We did not really get into the details on that....yet!
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

• Sandy Navas
                    Missouri Star
                    • Dec 2010

Breaking_news-620x3301-300x159.jpg

Pat is going to be so very, very busy now that we won't be able to enjoy her wonderful stories about partially naked men in her neighborhood.
                    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• Hulamoon
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]111696[/ATTACH]

Pat is going to be so very, very busy now that we won't be able to enjoy her wonderful stories about partially naked men in her neighborhood.
                      Yeah, and her plans to move to Hawaii will be canceled.
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• bubba
                        Missouri Star
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                        Yeah, and her plans to move to Hawaii will be canceled.
                        Have to wait for a certain person to retire first. He has about seven years to go!
                        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X