PDA

View Full Version : need ideas please

WendyI
June 11th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Liam is struggling with fathers day gift ideas and I have zero clue!

Scott is living in the trailer (still baffles my mind) and has very little room. He says a card is fine but I'd like Liam to get him something! Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas?

irishrn
June 11th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Gift card to a place he likes, book if he likes to read, anything from a sports team if he likes sports,
Special type of coffee he likes, snack basket of his favorites snacks or foods,
Basket of his favorite toiletries, tickets to anything- sports or movies,
I'll keep thinking!!!

Hulamoon
June 11th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Wendy don't let it baffle you. Remember mine is in a tent.

I could care less if the kids get him something, so I'm no help.

Amy R
June 11th, 2015, 11:40 AM
gift card to a restaurant they can eat dinner at together or something along those lines.

JCY
June 11th, 2015, 12:07 PM
We quit gifting years ago on these occasions. A card does well for us. Maybe a special handwritten letter about how he appreciates his dad, childhood remembrances, things they used to do together or like to do together now, etc. That might mean more than a gift card or purchased gift. It's the little things that mean a lot.

sewlucky
June 11th, 2015, 12:11 PM
If an idea for a gift doesn't jump out at me (or the kids) then I take it as a sign that a gift of a material item is probably not needed. I think Liam and his dad would both appreciate time spent together doing something they both enjoy more than an item. Maybe they are both excited to go to one of the movies coming out this summer?

My boys (including hubby) are generally pretty easygoing about gifts and cards, especially as they get older.

Terri

Hulamoon
June 11th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Good idea Terri, lot's of fun movies coming out!

rebeccas-sewing
June 11th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Joe loves chocolate. I often go to the confection shop and buy him hand-picked chocolate truffles.

Midge
June 11th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Have Liam decide on an activity he would like to do with his dad this summer and get tickets for that activity. Liam can make the card to tuck the tickets into. Facilitating Liam having a positive relationship and continued memory building with his dad is very important for Liam's future. Let us know what Liam comes up with!

Andrea F
June 11th, 2015, 01:24 PM
I was also thinking maybe a giftcard for spending some quality time together with something they both really like.

Quiltfreestyle
June 11th, 2015, 01:44 PM
As usual, I think your Forum friends are right on.... My boys are all in their 30's now & the thing they always tell us was the best thing about their childhood was the time we spent with them at games, camping, movies or even doing chores or just hanging out. They don't care much now for the many material gifts they got over the years..
If you can encourage a close relationship between Liam & his Dad that would be the best gift.

Mom23
June 11th, 2015, 05:38 PM
We have told our children that we don't want gifts, that time together is more important. We got tickets to a concert for Christmas, which happened to be Mother's Day weekend. We went to supper on the way to the concert and they bought our meal as another gift. Last year they spent a weekend between Mother's Day and Father's Day planting my flowers and doing odd jobs around the house.

stationarymom
June 12th, 2015, 02:03 AM
Does he have any favorite cookies or cakes etc..that Liam could make for him?My husband was always happy with something like that.

WendyI
June 12th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Thanks everyone! Some really great ideas here. Will talk to Liam about them on the weekend.