PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl in the rain

kimsophia
June 11th, 2015, 01:45 AM
Hi everybody,

How are you doing? I am sewing strip sets together for a rail fence type of pattern in green and blue. My machine is having problems with the mono-filament tonight so I've got the seam ripper handy. There's a lot of lightning to the south of us and rain coming in from the west. Iowa is supposed to get an inch or two of rain tomorrow...good for my gardens.

What's up with you?

sewlucky
June 11th, 2015, 01:54 AM
Hi kimsophia! We could use some of that rain you are getting. Very dry here! I'm sitting watching shows with hubby while surfing around for things to do in Denver. We fly out early Friday morning for my nephew's wedding on Saturday. I got some good sewing in today and will do some more tomorrow I think while I get my head around packing for the trip. Should head to bed soon.

Terri

Hulamoon
June 11th, 2015, 02:05 AM
I'm cutting orange peels by hand, But ,if you cut rectangles of the fusible you can cut them all at the same time!
Until my hand get's stronger I'm good:)

bubba
June 11th, 2015, 02:23 AM
I'm sitting here rejoicing in the fact that I don't have a whining 80 pound pit bull at my house anymore!! My daughter, her husband and Ashtyn came and got her about 5pm and took her home. Ashtyn was so funny! All he did was pay attention to Yoda...he loves him and Yoda loves Ashtyn!! After they left, I went to the kitchen to get a drink and I heard Yoda race upstairs, run down the hall to my sewing studio, stop and raced back downstairs, into the TV room and up on the couch and laid down. I swear he was smiling! I think he wanted to make sure she was gone. Will he ever be surprised when she's back next month for three days, although I told MM he could stay at their house w/the dog at that time....ha ha ha!!

Started sewing another NCW right after dinner. It's nearly done, but so am I for the night. I am putting a magnetic snap on this one instead of the twist lock and it's made from Seahawk fabric. I had meant to put lime green piping on the flap, but forgot all about it and by the time I realized I hadn't done it, I had already done the topstitching and I didn't feel like taking that and the seam out. I think I have about 30 more minutes left to go before it's finished.

All the tomato plants have lots of blooms. My nieces already have tomatoes about the size of walnuts! I'll be happy as long as I get tomatoes....there is nothing like homegrown ones.

I'm getting caught up on recorded shows. Been watching a ton of Castle's that I had not seen before. Two of them were when Alexa got kidnapped, and another was when Castle was in a wheelchair with a broken leg, stuck in the apartment and he kept watching the neighbor across the street with binoculars. I think that is my favorite one yet!

bec
June 11th, 2015, 02:39 AM
I'm sitting here yawning and wishing I were in bed. I don't know how you all sew at this time of night. I'd like to do some quilting, but I'm just too darn tired and I know I would do more ripping than sewing. I do this "sleepless night" stuff a couple of times a week. I just surf the internet for quilting stuff or watch magnum on Youtube. lol
Have fun quilting. :)

kimsophia
June 11th, 2015, 02:57 AM
My machine is sewing by itself! I have a vinyl seam guide stuck on the plate. I just pinned the two jelly roll strips down the middle so there's no need to pull pins out of the way. It is on the slowest speed. And it is just thunk thunk thunking straight. These 42" straight seams are so boring anyway. lol I love this kind of sewing! :D

stationarymom
June 11th, 2015, 03:15 AM
I'm just watching tv and reading the forum posts for today or should I say yesterday?.We went to grab a burger and onion rings at a local stand on the N side of town tonight. This stand has been in business since before 1978 when we moved here I was a teenager then,it's only open in the summer months.They have the best onion rings there ,and I enjoyed every one I ate.Had to go see the neurologist today he wants me to try new meds to see if my seizures can be stopped,but they never have with any drugs combos before .I don't want to try new drugs that have no history to them yet,I took dilantin from 6-52 and then they told me it destroys memory and bone.Dilantin can also cause brain damage.

kimsophia
June 11th, 2015, 06:15 AM
Ack! Something is wrong with my machine tension. The bobbin just is not happy. So I have rethreaded, put in a new needle, and brushed out the bobbin case. I just have to rip out these two seams and do them over. Hopefully the tension will be good in the resewing.

Bubby
June 11th, 2015, 06:24 AM
Hi Owlies, I'm not up late, I'm up extra early. In a few minutes it will be time for my day to start...make coffee, Jeff's lunch, take the Girls outside, start a load of laundry. Yesterday I washed windows and screens and my shoulder feels it today.

Not much news here. It was brutal hot yesterday and the humidity was very high. We plan to mow after dinner this evening and then we are supposed to get several days of rain.

Has anyone heard from our May? I haven't seen her on the forum in a few days.

Wishing everyone a good day....flying off my perch now. Hugs.

Andrea F
June 11th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Hi everyone, I just came home from the workshop. I had no time to pop in this morning because I had to prepare a 5 minute presentation for the class. I couldn't decide on the topic of today's presentation, that's why I had to do it this morning. ;)

kimsophia
June 12th, 2015, 01:20 AM
It is still raining so I figure this thread title is still good. Some places north of us have gotten over four inches of rain in the past 24 hours, but only half an inch here.

I got my jellyroll strip sets sewn together. Next, ironing them and cutting them into squares. How's it going with you?

sewlucky
June 12th, 2015, 01:27 AM
We finally got some rain here this evening! It was really nice to hear it on the roof of the covered patio that's for sure. I had a busy day. I am now well over 50 blocks of the 81 for my Ballard Blocks quilt, and all of the centre 10" squares are quilted to their batting blocks. I also did some running to pick up my son's meds and some last minute things for our trip this weekend. And then hubby and I packed the suitcase. We leave for Denver at 6:10am tomorrow morning, which means being out of the house by 3:30am. We will drive past our son's place and pick him up so he can drop us at the airport and pick us up Tuesday when we come home. It should be a fun long weekend! We have not been to Denver before, and we will be celebrating our nephew's wedding there...and even better, we will get a visit with my parents too, who don't live in town where I live. My mom, sewluvit, and I will be doing a few quilt shops while we are there and are hoping that there will be a few Row by Row Experience license plates out there already. Mom has already gotten a few, so they are definitely already being sold. Too bad we are a week early on the row patterns!

Anyway, I better get myself to bed or getting up at 3am to shower will be a tough job. Who am I kidding, it will be a tough job...

Terri

kimsophia
June 12th, 2015, 01:36 AM
Have you guys seen this fabric? lol

https://www.etsy.com/listing/111505199/retro-sewing-newspaper-black-white?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_low-craft_supplies_and_tools-fabric&utm_custom1=cc27a918-b0e9-4b8b-8baa-7c55288a7068&kpid=111505199&gclid=CJq61vqpicYCFQccaQodUkEAGw

sewlucky
June 12th, 2015, 01:40 AM
OMG! How cute is that??!!! I might need some....

Have you guys seen this fabric? lol

https://www.etsy.com/listing/111505199/retro-sewing-newspaper-black-white?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_low-craft_supplies_and_tools-fabric&utm_custom1=cc27a918-b0e9-4b8b-8baa-7c55288a7068&kpid=111505199&gclid=CJq61vqpicYCFQccaQodUkEAGw

kimsophia
June 12th, 2015, 01:53 AM
lol...how we can selvage the relationship...

sewlucky
June 12th, 2015, 02:32 AM
I placed an order!

Andrea F
June 12th, 2015, 03:06 AM
Good, sunny morning! I'm already sitting in front of my coffee. Still tired but I can work from home today. It was getting warmer again yesterday and today should be a hot day. It's my day off, but I have some work piled up becaue of the workshop. The workshop was fun. Did I mention it was doing presentations in English? It was nice to actually get to speak some English. The instructor was a German lady who went to boarding school in Britain in her teenage years and is married to a British man. She was very nice.

We had to give a more or less spontaneous talk on the first day on any topic we liked. I had to leave the workshop for two hours for my regular teaching and was late to preparing that little presentation because of that. So, I had to find something really quickly and the first thing that came to my mind when she said we could talk about anything we wanted was sewing. She liked my presentation very much and found it inspiring and told me she's going to bring her sewing machine out again. Mission accomplished... :D

Yesterday, we had to give another talk and they made a video of each of us. Oh dear, that was weird. Hearing your own voice coming from a tape is so awkward because it sounds so different. And seeing chubby me standing in front of people giving a presentation is a experience I could also happily have skipped.

I hope you all have a wonderful day coming when you get up again. Terri, have fun on your trip and safe travels! I am a little jealous. And I like that fabric, too. A lot. I shouldn't open any links to fabrics that are posted here! But it would really make a nice bag...

Have a good night! See you all 'tomorrow'!

kimsophia
June 12th, 2015, 04:14 AM
Okay, I got them ironed. I stumbled onto this tutorial and like the idea on how to cut these. I think I need a new rotary cutter blade, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGr45e98E0E

Lightwriter
June 12th, 2015, 04:41 AM
I have a few extremely busy days coming up. Major time on the road in order to sort out attending funeral of SIL and sort out nuked beach trip. The trip was planned, flights scheduled and paid for, room paid for two months ago, we have to pick kids up at airport and I have to be there to get access to the room since reservation is in my name.

So (long breath here) I am awake and we will be on the road to the beach in not too long. Get all that sorted out and everyone settled. Spend Friday night, get up early Sat. Morning and make trip home for funeral. Thankfully viewing is right before service. After funeral we will do return trip to beach and spend a couple of days de-stressing. We so rarely see the kids that this family time with them is also a priority. DS may make trip with us, son in law cannot make such long car trip due to still recovering from Achilles' tendon injury that caused a blood Clot. He barely got clearance to fly. And no, it is not a short trip to beach...5 hours. Please pray for safe travels.

Thanks for listening. It's been a stressful week. Night owls, hold the forest down and I'll fly by sometime to check in.

kimsophia
June 12th, 2015, 05:11 AM
Prayer ascending. That was one tough week.

Andrea F
June 12th, 2015, 07:15 AM
Connie, wishing you safe travels and sending more good thoughts (and hugs). I hope you'll find some time to rest.

sewlucky
June 12th, 2015, 08:26 AM
Sending hugs your way Connie! We are parked at the airport waiting to board our flight to Denver. I am usually having my best sleep right now!

Terri