PDA

View Full Version : Food For Thought

Musical_Starling
June 10th, 2015, 06:17 PM

On the 23rd of June, it will be four years since I lost my sweet grandmother. I miss her every day, and I wish we had more time to make more memories. But when I think of her, I am not sad, because I can't help but smile. I have her engagement ring, and plenty of other gifts she's given me over the years, but they're not the things that I smile over. The things that make me smile are the memories I have of her. Making me a bowl of Kraft Dinner (Mac n Cheese) and putting a mozzarella cheese slice on top so it's extra cheesy. Playing cards until the wee hours of the morning and then getting "mad" when I would win. Tucking money in my pocket when she thought nobody was looking and telling me not to tell my Mom. Playing darts together with her and my cousin and gossiping about boys. And the millions (and millions!) of hugs and kisses and "I love you"s I got over our 25 years together.

Those are truly the most important "things", and they are the things that make me feel blessed to have had such an amazing woman in my life, even if it wasn't for as long as we would have liked.

The moral of the story? Don't focus so much on the material things, because they are not what you will be remembered for by those you love. And please remember to use things and love people, and not the other way around. :icon_hug:

Monique
June 10th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Well said Dee.

Sending hugs your way.

Amy R
June 10th, 2015, 07:01 PM
*hugs* some people are so special to us they are fondly remembered forever!

K. McEuen
June 10th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Made me remember my grandma too. What is it about them? I would write letters to mine, I was in Texas and she was in Ohio. She would write back and always stick a dollar or two in the envelope. I was in second grade, that was a big deal to me. She made the best lemon meringue pie I ever tasted.

auntiemern
June 10th, 2015, 08:47 PM
Both of my grandma's were very different from each other. My maternal granny was the oing I got my love of quilting from. I can see her sitting at her big quilt frame quilting away. I remember the taste of sassafras tea, anf lunch being a bigger meal than supper. I never stayed with that grandma without my parents. My other granny taught me to crotchet, and play rummy. She lived closer to us, and I spent many summer weeks with grandma. I can smell the way each of their own houses had its own smell. That grandma passed away, when I was expecting my DD. I lost my other when my DD was 8. Now I am making my grandkids memories of me.

easyquilts
June 10th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Sending you hugs.... And, you are so right.....

RFREE
June 10th, 2015, 11:06 PM
Very Very Well said Dee:)

Grandma G
June 10th, 2015, 11:34 PM
I love the memories you have of your grandmother. I was told over the years that both of my grandmothers were wonderful women but I didn't know that first hand as they had both passed before I was born so I never knew a grandmother's love. Now that I am a grandmother of three I absolutely dote on those little ones. They think of my home as their own. In fact, my grandson asked me when he was about five if he could live here when he got married. I had to chuckle. When I told him he would probably want to live in a different home when he married he told me he didn't think so.
When he was seven we had this conversation one Sunday afternoon as I was driving him the 50 miles back to his dad's house:
Aiden: "You know what I wish, grandma?"
Me: "No, Aiden, what do you wish?"
Aiden: "I wish that one day my kids could see you just like you are right now. They would love you."
I was speechless and it was really difficult to drive with tears in my eyes. I finally told him he would just have to tell them all about me and his grandpa.

I want my grandchildren to have all the memories that I never had. And if it takes driving a 100 mile round trip every other weekend to spend time with them then I am up for the task. And all the "I love you, grandmas'" I receive from both Aiden and my two granddaughters accompanied by big hugs have filled my heart with such joy.

Thanks, Dee, for the reminder of where our priorities should be.

pcbatiks
June 11th, 2015, 12:07 AM
Hi Dee.......what a wonderful tribute to your grandmother. Your memories of your grandmother remind me of all the great memories I have of my grandma. Thanks for the smile. :)