PDA

View Full Version : All the owls must be sleeping...

Lightwriter
June 9th, 2015, 01:43 AM
Storms keep rolling in, third night without much sleep. I even went and found the owl picture I referenced last night...it is my avatar. Just how I feel (and probably look)

Worked on FMQ today...went better than usual. Markings help me a lot. Mowing tomorrow if it stops raining.

Hoot away!

stationarymom
June 9th, 2015, 01:56 AM
Hi
Connie we're not all sleeping yet.I was just reading the forum posts for the day.We were supposed to get rain but it didn't come this way it all went to the north.I haven't fmq yet,I just haven't had the gumption to try yet.If I did I think I would be using stencils to mark my quilt .I know I would get lost just trying to quilt without a road map.

bubba
June 9th, 2015, 02:00 AM
This owl's feathers are frazzled (tad bit sunburned :( ) Yoda can't relax with Runty here....Runty is guarding one of Yoda's bones, which Yoda basically ignores, but does not like that Runty now has possession of it. Had a slight tiff over the food (they have separate bowls and Runty won't eat, so Yoda figured it was a free for all buffet.....Runty did not think the same!) MM slept till 8:45, got up and left for work.

So here we sit....back door is wide open. Screen door is locked and a nice breeze is blowing in.

Will someone fly over and spread some milk of magnesia on my arms?

stationarymom
June 9th, 2015, 02:07 AM
Pat did you get burned?
If you did you can make a cup of hot tea let it get cold first then soak your arms with the tea.This is supposed to help heal the burn(sounds crazy but my son does this and it did help)

kensington
June 9th, 2015, 02:50 AM
Actually, I have been sewing all evening till now... and it's late here. 12:45

Hulamoon
June 9th, 2015, 02:58 AM
It's just coming up to 8: 00 right now, so not a nite owl yet. I turned on my new machine for the firt time and can;t figure out how to get into it. lol

okay I decided to go touch the screen. Well I feel stupid. dur

kimsophia
June 9th, 2015, 03:10 AM
Storms keep rolling in, third night without much sleep. I even went and found the owl picture I referenced last night...it is my avatar. Just how I feel (and probably look)

Worked on FMQ today...went better than usual. Markings help me a lot. Mowing tomorrow if it stops raining.

Hoot away!

I got a package of FriXion pens. I think they will work well for marking a FMQ pattern. I've done some practicing without markings and I'm not good enough to do it on expensive fabric. And I want to get this thing over with.

sewlucky
June 9th, 2015, 03:11 AM
I'm still awake watching the news. A local police officer was killed in a shooting tonight and another injured. Sad sad night here.

WATCH LIVE: 1 police officer killed, another injured in west Edmonton | Globalnews.ca (http://globalnews.ca/news/2043607/police-officer-shot-another-injured-in-southwest-edmonton/)

:(

bubba
June 9th, 2015, 03:20 AM
Pat did you get burned?
If you did you can make a cup of hot tea let it get cold first then soak your arms with the tea.This is supposed to help heal the burn(sounds crazy but my son does this and it did help)

Just a mild one. We put milk of magnesia on burns. It makes you tan fast and you won't peel. Don't know why it works, but it does.

Andrea F
June 9th, 2015, 04:02 AM
Good morning everyone! I have to go back to work after five days off today. Sitting in front of my first coffee and waiting for some caffeine to kick in. DH is in London for work until tomorrow, I really would have loved to go with him this time. A couple of sunny days in London would have been so nice. I am so ready for vacation but I have to wait til September.

I had a mild sunburn the other day only from sitting in the sun without sunscreen for about 15 minutes. I have never heard of tea to help with that. Does any kind of tea work? And what is milk of magnesia?
When the kids were little and we lived in an appartment right next to the main street, we bought a garden plot. One year in march or so, my sister and I were in the garden with the kids all day. It was nice weather but the sun wasn't strong then, many clouds too. At least I thought so. In the evening when we went home, I had such a bad sun burn, my face and every part of my body that was exposed to the sun was bright red. Think tomato. We put curd cheese on all the burnt skin, which is supposed to pull the heat out of it. It worked as long as it was on there but no longer. Looked kinda funny...

Have a good night and I'll see you later.

toggpine
June 9th, 2015, 04:11 AM
I was out milking. It's been too hot to sit next to 100 degree critters at 6PM, so I pushed it back for milking after Em gets on the bus (still not too hot) and then in the evening when it cools off. It makes for a late night, but I don't get sweaty and cranky either.

Today was the big day at school. The kids were able to choose their prizes from the walk-a-thon. Emily came home with a new Kindle Fire! The trip to the Great Wolf Lodge and the ride to school on a Fire Truck were already taken, but 3 of her top 6 choices were there. It's already been worth the long nights of cookie baking, as she plunked down and read about 100 pages of a book! Now I have to figure out how to work it so I can make it do all of the stuff for school for her.

I have to go shopping, and not for fabric. :( My favorite disbudding iron refused to heat, and after a few tests by the mechanics/electric guys @ hubby's work they thing the heating element is dead. WHAT?!?!? Only 20 years of service before it craps out? Well, OK. I guess that was a good run.

I had better go take care of that and get some sleep. They sun is getting up earlier every day, and Grover the rooster fully intends to tell us ALL about it! It wasn't so bad with the bedroom windows closed, but with them open you realize how loud he really is.

Happy Hooting!
C

P.S. Noxzema skin cleansing cream also works on sunburns. The menthol & eucalyptus create a cooling effect and the moisturizers help prevent cracking and peeling.

cyndiofthevortex
June 9th, 2015, 05:07 AM
Good morning, Night Owls! I am here with nothing much to say. I had a long three day weekend with too much to do, so I fell asleep very early and am now paying for it. I've been in bed, wide awake (what a terrible thing that is!) and thinking of quilts. The fabric I just bought is so pretty! I want to make something that shows them off, so something with large pieces and not cut up the pretties too small. Simple is the way to go in my book. I've also been thinking of the adoption party we'll be having in three weeks and what needs to be done before then. And unfortunately, my son left me four frosted oatmeal cookies right next to the computer, so a cookie and a glass of milk just have to be consumed! A 4 am snack doesn't hurt anyone, does it?

Lightwriter
June 9th, 2015, 06:03 AM
Never heard of milk of magnesium for burns but just as a laxative. I have used tea for kitchen burns. It has something to do with an ingredient in tea, so any would work.

Aloe Vera is my favorite for sunburn. Keep a big bottle of it for any burns, used to have a plant, but the big bottle works just as well. Find near the suntan lotion.

Hopefully last storm just rolled through. Yawn. Gonna be another long day.

bubba
June 9th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Milk of Magnesia is for upset stomach, I think. I have never ingested it. I told a friend who got sunburned really bad to put it on and she laughed and me and basically told me I was an idiot. Well, she ended up at the ER after her burn turned to blisters and she could not stand the pain. The hospital she went to has a burn center and they sent her up there. Guess what they did for her....yes! They took aspirin and crushed it into a powder and mixed it into Milk of Magnesia and put that on her. The aspirin was for the pain and the other for soothing and healing. She did tell them what I had recommended and they told her she should have listened because it probably would not have blistered if she had!

Now, here is a funny story about Milk of Magnesia (MOM). On one of our Hawaii trips, we were catching the bus out to the airport to pickup a rental car. We had just two days left on the island. Sitting at the bus stop, MM was quite restless and wiggling around and complaining his back hurt and finally decided his problem was he had to poop....hahahhahaaa!! Well, the bus could be seen in the distance and he said I'd have to go buy myself. He started walking back to our condo, got about halfway there and turned around and came back, telling me whatever it was had gone away and he would come with me to get the car.

Fast forward two days later and we are now home. About 0800, I hear him yelling...screaming in pain. I go racing to where he is and he was rolling around from side to side. Again, he thought he had to poop (yes, this cracks me up). He said he had been having these pains for a couple hours and it was worse than in Hawaii. He asked me to give him some MOM, so I read the bottle because all I had used it for was sunburns. Said the dosage was four or five tablespoons, so that is what I gave him. I went back to bed and told me to let me know if he needed anything.

About an hour later, I hear him screaming again, worse than before. I raced back to where he was and he thought he was now having a heart attack and I immediately called 911. Before I know it, five big burly very good looking firemen were in my living room (thanks MM!) questioning him and checking his vitals as he rolled all over like a mad man. They asked if he had taken anything and I told them what I had given him. They stopped dead in their tracks and looked at me like I indeed was crazy. YOU GAVE HIM HOW MUCH MOM???? I went and got the bottle and showed him it was the dosage for an adult and they just laughed and said you called us because he can't poop? No, I called you because he told me he thought he is having a heart attack. They continued checking his vitals and his BP was thru the roof and they zipped him into the medic rig, not even waiting for an ambulance. I had to ride with them as our car was dead from sitting so long. Turned out he had kidney stones, three of them. Spent a night in the hospital. Now, either he is a whimp or I have a great tolerance for pain because I've had kidney infections and with one of them 13 kidney stones and I never ended up in the hospital....

Anyway, sorry to ramble, but everytime I think of MOM, that is the story I think of.

Andrea F
June 9th, 2015, 03:58 PM
It's something you would take when you have heartburn, right? I googled it and they say it's the same. I'd never have thought that this helps against sunburn...
Apparently it also seems to help when your skin gets shiny/oily during the day and it's recommended as make-up primer. Well, I'm not sure I'd want to put it on my face every day.

Sandy Navas
June 9th, 2015, 06:54 PM
MOM is wonderful. Years ago my FIL and MIL came to spend their vacation with us. My MIL had taken a jar that formerly held some type of moisturizer in it (thinking maybe Ponds??). She had cleaned the jar and filled it with MOM because it was small enough to fit in her travel case. Of course our DD went snooping, saw the label and decided she needed to moisturize - so she smeared it all over herself. In walks a kid with white face, white arms and legs and no idea why we laughed.

bubba
June 9th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Well yes, there is that. If you are going to use it, do it at night and take a shower before you go anywhere!!

kimsophia
June 9th, 2015, 08:44 PM
I think it is Pepto Bismol you may be thinking of for heartburn or upset stomach. MOM is just a laxative, according to our bottle...so it might make your upset stomach worse if you get diarrhea from taking MOM you don't need...but we have cherry flavored so you would smell nice and fruity if you put it on your skin...lol

grandma nurse
June 10th, 2015, 12:08 AM
I will give you my Milk of Mag story. I was a hospital nurse for years and the doctor would order MOM for the patients. So anytime I saw MOM I would think Milk of Mag. They were having a demolision derby in town and someone wrote MOM on the side of their car. I asked my husband why anyone would but Milk of Mag on a demo car.

kimsophia
June 10th, 2015, 01:05 AM
Because it DEMOLISHES your constipation? lololol