PDA

View Full Version : What is the allure??

WendyI
June 8th, 2015, 05:27 PM
to old sewing machines? When I bought my shiny new and very expensive (for me at least!) Janome 7700 I gave away my mom's old Sears Singer. It was circa 1978 I think. Heaviest machine EVER! Was VERY picky about tension oye!

So now I'm wondering if I should have done that! Why is everyone so fond of old machines??

Juliet Taylor
June 8th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Guess it's like every hobby. Finding an antique thing related to that passion looks like a treasure!
I saw an old Pfaff in a window shop so since it's not for sale I decided to just take a pic :D as a memory!

Btw I have no space at all for a second sewing machine. I even gave an old one away I received. Hoped to make someone else in need happy. Never hard from that girl again :/

Sonic
June 8th, 2015, 05:47 PM
LOL...I posted this question a while back because I too was curious if I should get one!
I think people like the nostalgia mostly and the memories, but many of the machines seem to sew a wonderful straight stitch.

shirleyknot
June 8th, 2015, 06:12 PM
They are usually built much more solid than the new plastic ones.

Vonnie
June 8th, 2015, 06:55 PM
I would have loved to have my grandmother's treadle machine. I don't know who got it. I think they need to start making new treadles. It would be good for the circulation in our legs from sitting too long sewing/quilting.

Claire Hallman
June 8th, 2015, 07:01 PM
I think they do still make them for people in 3rd world countries without electricity. I saw one in a Singer store several years ago and that is what the owner told me.

buckeyequilter
June 8th, 2015, 07:01 PM
I would have loved to have my grandmother's treadle machine. I don't know who got it. I think they need to start making new treadles. It would be good for the circulation in our legs from sitting too long sewing/quilting.

Janome does make a treadle machine.

Janome 712T Treadle Sewing Machine & FREE BONUS (http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/sewing-machine-janome-712t.php)

dwil23
June 8th, 2015, 07:26 PM
No motherboards to fry!

Simple to fix and maintain.

No plastic pieces.

...to name a few advantages.

Sandy Navas
June 8th, 2015, 07:29 PM
My allure started when I realized my husband had turned into an old man and I really liked old things.

Seriously, some people are drawn to modern, some people are drawn to antiques, some people are hoarders, some collectors, some minimalists . . . some hang onto things, some throw things out, some recycle, some upcycle.

I remember having an opportunity to get my grandparent's wedding bedroom suite (which I did wind up with but then sold later) and I so remember my Dad saying to me, "What would you want with that junk? I grew up with it." I've kicked myself because I did sell it when we moved overseas and I have often thought how much I would love to have it back. But, Dad had his own special collections . . . but they were okay because they were HIS.

If you like it, if you love it, if you have room for it, if it speaks to you . . . then grab it. If you are only doing it because others are doing it, then what's the point?