PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday to me!

dwil23
June 7th, 2015, 10:41 PM
Thanks for all the wonderful birthday wishes!

Some of you have probably read about my desire for a Singer 301 machine just like my Mom had and I learned to sew on. Yesterday, I was checking craigslist as usual and THERE IT WAS! Just like Mom's case, and all. It was about an hours drive away, but it said it was cleaned and serviced, ready to sew and the price was right. Be still my soul! And after all, today was my birthday. Providence I say!

After working last night and a nap this morning, DD drove me there to see it. What an experience! As soon as the lady opened the door of her home I saw quilts. (After messaging her, I felt comfortable going to her home, but I understand that can be risky). I asked if she made them and of course she did. We hit it off immediately and she explained that she personally only uses treadles and hand cranks, but will rescue and refurbish 301's and featherweights, too. She had a wonderful collection of old machines. Even one of the ones that sews sideways, but I forget the name. There was a youtube video recently of one similar from the 1800's. She told me that she lectures "wherever they let her" about the treadles and hand cranks and demos FMQ on a treadle (which is all she ever uses for her own quilts. My DD who usually just rolls her eyes at me was enthralled!

After that to DS for a nap while the kids swam and then birthday dinner and cake decorated by DGS. Now I'm home and have to get ready to go to work, but overall what a great day.

Did I mention she has a really beautiful hand crank machine for sale?

SIGH

Hopefully this picture will attach!

RiverMomm
June 7th, 2015, 10:43 PM
What a great birthday present!!

Have a wonderful birthday and enjoy the sweet memories of your mother as you sew on your new machine.

dwil23
June 7th, 2015, 10:43 PM
Success! The first picture I have ever been able to get to attach to a thread.

Forgot to mention, her elderly father who lives next door to her makes wooden bases for the old Singer machines to sit in, should anyone need one, contact me and I will send you the info.

SallyO'Sews
June 7th, 2015, 10:47 PM
Happy Birthday, Donna! Sounds like your wish came true! Hope the entire year is just as much fun.

Sandy Navas
June 7th, 2015, 10:48 PM
Ain't nuttin' better for a birthday than a personal gift you buy for yourself ('cuz that's the only way you are truly going to get exactly what you want).

Jean Sewing Machine
June 7th, 2015, 10:55 PM
That is a fabulous birthday gift! Sounds like it was a good day for you!

songbird857
June 7th, 2015, 10:55 PM
Awwww... great birthday present - Happy Birthday!

bubba
June 7th, 2015, 11:06 PM
Wow!! That is a great present to yourself! I hope your day was the most fabulous ever, and by the sounds of it, it was!!!

pcbatiks
June 8th, 2015, 12:26 AM
Perfect timing for a perfect gift! Congratulations!

TMP
June 8th, 2015, 12:38 AM
Happy Birthday!!! Congrats on the machine. What a wonderful gift. That looks similar to my moms machine that I am sewing on now. Singer 404. When I was growing up all my clothes were made on it and I am now also enjoying it. I have other more modern machines but always seem to go back to it.

ilive2craft2
June 8th, 2015, 12:43 AM
Wonderful find! Perfect for a birthday gift!

stationarymom
June 8th, 2015, 01:17 AM
Happy belated birthday Donna! I would love to hear the woman you bought your machine from it sounds like she would be interesting.

rebeccas-sewing
June 8th, 2015, 06:21 AM
Happy Birthday, Donna. I'd say that machine was meant to be yours. Enjoy your gift.

Iris Girl
June 8th, 2015, 06:32 AM
Awesome ! Don't you just love when all the stars and planets line up and something wonderful happens? Enjoy!

dwil23
June 8th, 2015, 06:43 AM
Thank You all!

Rebecca and Iris - exactly how I feel - the stars aligned and it was meant to be mine. Can't wait to get home this morning and play with her!

BTW - I had decided to name her Jean - my Mom's middle name (already have a Marilyn, which was Mom's name) and my middle name and a little nod to our Jean Sewing machine, too. The lovely lady who sold her to me was Linda, which is also a family name. So she is now Linda Jean, but will probably just call her Jeannie.

Grandma Nan
June 8th, 2015, 07:27 AM
First of all belated Happy Birthday. Sounds like it was one for the books. So glad you found your machine.

Donna don't lose that info on the bases as I have an old 128 Singer I am working on and the base is not in good shape plus I have no lid for this one either so if I can find a reasonable shape full case I will get it but otherwise I might be interested in the base. The other thing is that I have to see if I can get this one to sew. It was frozen when I got it and I started a campaign to clean and restore and now the wheel turns like a dream. It has mostly cleaned up but I have to get a needle in it and figure out how to wind the old shuttle bobbin. I am also waiting for an ordered hand crank as I removed the motor. Someone had cut the wires off it.

Anyway I just have to wait and see if it is worth investing any more money in or if it is a decorative piece. Its lovely either way.

Monique
June 8th, 2015, 07:39 AM
Happy belated birthday Donna. We all deserve to treat ourselves once in a while.

Sylvia H
June 8th, 2015, 07:56 AM
A belated happy birthday to you! What a great day you had. I like the story of how you named your new machine.

Navy Wife
June 8th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Happy belated Birthday from me also. I love your 301. That was my birthday present back in 1958, It was my first machine and I made good use of it. DD still has it, but I think I might rescue it next time I'm in IL. She doesn't use it any more and it probably needs to be serviced. I threatened her with death if she got rid of it!