PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal?

SallyO'Sews
June 6th, 2015, 09:56 PM
A friend of mine is a gifted crafter who loves everything Raggedy Ann and Andy. She has a large collection of the dolls, most of which she made herself. I have long thought that if she were to sell them, they would be super popular.

Would that be legal? I have done zero research, other than to have heard that the dolls were no longer being made. She's looking to make a little money (as many of us on this forum do), and has asked for my advice. I don't want to steer her in the wrong direction. She is very modest about her talents, and would NEVER, EVER, want to do something that is against the rules, legally or morally.

I've noticed that some patterns (for quilts, bags, etc.) have a notice that say "for personal use ONLY," and some say "okay to make and sell for church bazaars, fundraising, and the like." I guess that's what I need to know about her Raggedy Ann & Andy dolls.

Thanks in advance for your input - I don't know of another group I trust for this sort of info! Hugs and blessings to all, ~Sally

K. McEuen
June 6th, 2015, 10:02 PM
I wonder if the names, Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy, are trademarked and if that would be something she might need to be concerned about. You know, if I make little bears to sell, I know I can't call them Beanie Babies. There are so many T's to cross and i's to dot anymore it is hard o figure out what you can and can't do sometimes.

laura44
June 6th, 2015, 10:48 PM
I sell at a lot of craft shows. There was one lady that just sold
raggedy anns. I think she just called them rag dolls. She sold
a ton of them. I used to have a old McCalls pattern for them so I'm
sure selling at shows would be fine. Good luck to your friend.
Just searched the internet- the name is trademarked, some links say the original
pattern is public domain.

bubba
June 6th, 2015, 11:01 PM
It's like the licensed fabric that says 'for personal use only'. The makers of such think you should not be able to make and sell things from it for your profit. Disney is one of them, and the sports teams is another. There was a big law suit, a woman was sued by Disney, she represented herself and the judge said once the fabric is bought, the purchaser can do with it whatever they want and that includes making things to sell.

My sister was worried about that, so when we started making all the Seahawks stuff, a friend of hers asked her attorney about it and he researched and told her this and provided her with the decision by the courts. I can't remember the name of it, but we had printouts we used to proved when people asked.

Angelia
June 6th, 2015, 11:39 PM
The Simplicity pattern states that it is for private home use, not commercial or manufacturing purposes. I believe the name is trademarked.

I used the pattern several times to make gifts, but I changed them a bit. I looked for different colors for the striped stocking fabric and matched the hair to it. Purple and white stripes/ purple hair, etc-- I did a whole rainbow of them!

bubba
June 7th, 2015, 12:47 AM
When you change things, it's no longer their pattern......

rebeccas-sewing
June 7th, 2015, 03:15 AM
I would think it could be a concern if you're mass producing, but just making them in small quantity doesn't seem like it would be a problem. I agree that it's wise to check on these things, but just a little change here and a little change there should be enough safety net, I would think.

Angelia - If you're gifting the items you make, you don't need to worry about changing anything. When money becomes involved is the issue.

Angelia
June 7th, 2015, 09:01 AM
I actually did the changing because I got tired of doing the same doll over and over rather than to avoid any legal issue! :icon_bored:

I sold a couple, but I enjoyed giving them away more, so for a while, lots of kids got dolls as gifts. At one point, though, I knew I was done--couldn't face stuffing even one more arm or leg. :)

Mpyles
June 7th, 2015, 09:41 AM
While Simon & Schuster and Hasbro claim to own trademarks to the Raggedy Ann and/or Raggedy Ann and Andy names, the original 1915 doll design and 1918 and 1920 books are in the public domain, their copyright having expired.

In 2012 Hasbro has signed Aurora World for a new line of Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy plush dolls.

Leah53
June 7th, 2015, 10:01 PM
A few years ago I met the grandson of Johnny Gruelle, he has/had a shop up around Cashiers, NC, I asked him about this very thing, he said what is trademarked is the heart the says "I Love You", you can make the dolls but you can't put the heart on it.

My 93 year old Aunt has been making Raggedy Ann dolls for years, still is, and sells them, a lot of them, all by word of mouth.

I also ran into this very thing on HGTV when they had a craft forum, it was concerning the Printmaster program, I was told by the agent of the graphics artists that I could not use the graphics, my assertion was, as with the court case mentioned above, if I buy the product I will use it as I see fit, if you don't want the graphics used, don't offer them. It got into quite a legal battle with HGTV lawyers getting involved, we won.

Hulamoon
June 7th, 2015, 10:11 PM
Like Leah said it's just the heart. I really like the primatinve ones.

https://www.etsy.com/search/handmade?q=raggedy%20ann&order=most_relevant&ref=auto2&explicit_scope=1

SallyO'Sews
June 7th, 2015, 11:20 PM
Thank you so much! I will let her know. (Happy Dance!!)